The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-24-2016, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Santa Cruz Parabolic Strings

I just saw these on their website. Has anyone ever tried them? I have never even heard of them before. Any response would be appreciated, and have a Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-24-2016, 01:05 PM

I was lucky enough to purchase some for half price (around $10). Unfortunately, I find them to be a bit too mids-heavy for my liking. FTR I enjoy Elixir strings, which are already considered quite mids-prominent, but I personally hear them much more prominently in the SCGC strings to the extent where I'm not hearing the fullness of the bass as much as I'd like to. Richard Hoover would probably say something along the lines of: "The SCGC strings bring out the natural tone of your guitar, and is simply reflecting the balance of your guitar to the best of its potential" - or something like that, I don't know, all I can say is what my ears hear.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:58 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I put a set of the low tension on my Gibson at the end of October. I play on them usually 4 or 5 times a week. They still sound good and are very easy on the fingers. Martin Flexible Cores are basically the same string at 1/3 of the price.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-24-2016, 02:34 PM

There are several recent threads you can search for with plenty of opinions. I recently tired them on my Santa Cruz and absolutely love them. For me it brought out the low end with a sweet treble as well.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:45 PM

Reggie, I tried a set and liked them well enough, but not as much as the John Pearse strings that I use, prefer and endorse. One thing I did notice about the Santa Cruz strings is that they have a lot of sustain, which I think might be really useful for fingerstyle players.

So, short version: they're very good strings, and well worth experimenting with. For some players they might be an excellent choice.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-24-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I put a set of the low tension on my Gibson at the end of October. I play on them usually 4 or 5 times a week. They still sound good and are very easy on the fingers. Martin Flexible Cores are basically the same string at 1/3 of the price.
For me the Martin flexible core sounded mediocre compared to the SC.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:26 PM

Have a set of the low tensions on my PJ and a set of the medium tensions on my OM28v. Like them way better than even my previous favorites. They do seam to sustain forever. New sets just came for those 2 guitars, along with sets of mediums for the Lowden and the 0018v. Previous favorites were phosphor bronze and 80/20s. Still like those and keep John Pearce and D'addarios around for back ups. The SC strings have lasted at least twice as long as strings I used to use. Obviously worth the money to me as I just bought new sets. Now if only someone would change strings for me for Christmas.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 12-24-2016, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Reggie, I tried a set and liked them well enough, but not as much as the John Pearse strings that I use, prefer and endorse. One thing I did notice about the Santa Cruz strings is that they have a lot of sustain, which I think might be really useful for fingerstyle players.

So, short version: they're very good strings, and well worth experimenting with. For some players they might be an excellent choice.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
I have tried many brands of course, like most of us here. And to be honest with myself, the ones I always go back to on my Taylors are John Pearse mediums or bluegrass. I just love the way they sound. I am not really good at putting adjectives on how strings sound. I can just say that they have very good volume when needed, tone is still good at low volumes, and they sort of "ring", for lack of a better term. I suppose I will always be susceptible to trying others, but my stable is the JP's.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
I have tried many brands of course, like most of us here. And to be honest with myself, the ones I always go back to on my Taylors are John Pearse mediums or bluegrass. I just love the way they sound. I am not really good at putting adjectives on how strings sound. I can just say that they have very good volume when needed, tone is still good at low volumes, and they sort of "ring", for lack of a better term. I suppose I will always be susceptible to trying others, but my stable is the JP's.
You and me both!

whm
Old 12-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

I have tried them. They are not the strings for me.

Steve
Old 12-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
For me the Martin flexible core sounded mediocre compared to the SC.
I sound mediocre regardless of the strings,

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-24-2016, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
I just saw these on their website. Has anyone ever tried them? I have never even heard of them before. Any response would be appreciated, and have a Merry Christmas to all!

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=447113

and other prior threads

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-24-2016, 05:44 PM

Self-deleted.

Last edited by Highway_61; 12-25-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:01 PM

Funny because I definitely can tell they are low tension. I only use the mediums which are more like most other brands lights.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:43 PM

Golfreggie - it may seem obvious, but the best way to evaluate these strings is to buy a set and try them. We've batted the subject around countless times on AGF (do a search to see) and even had the co-designer of the strings involved (Roger Siminoff). Some of us love them and some of us don't!

i am in the "love 'em" column.

best,

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion