The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-29-2017, 10:55 PM

Default Headphones for playing electric at home?

My wife works from a home office and at night our son is sleeping so there are few opportunities for me to play my electric through the amp at anything over level 1.

I have some $30 Sony headphones that work okay for listening to my iPod but they just don't cut it for plugging into the amp.

I see many options on Amazon, many higher end ones are listed as studio monitors.
Is that what I want?

For instance, would the Audio-Technica ones like the 30, 40 or 50 series be an appropriate choice? Or are those just for listening to recorded music?

I really know nothing about headphones other than that they put sound in my head.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYRN View Post
My wife works from a home office and at night our son is sleeping so there are few opportunities for me to play my electric through the amp at anything over level 1.

I have some $30 Sony headphones that work okay for listening to my iPod but they just don't cut it for plugging into the amp.

I see many options on Amazon, many higher end ones are listed as studio monitors.

Is that what I want?

For instance, would the Audio-Technica ones like the 30, 40 or 50 series be an appropriate choice? Or are those just for listening to recorded music?

I really know nothing about headphones other than that they put sound in my head.

Thanks!

I have audio technica 30 and they work great for practicing. I use phone amp apps and iRig HD guitar interface. These headphones sound much better than their price suggests, and I tested them back and forth with much more expensive headphones like shure, beats, sennheiser, and other known brands and these humble $50 headphones blew them away in sound clarity. I recommend to go with the 50 because they're not much more expensive and the cord is detachable. But yeah, headphones are a must for practicing in my household as well.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:05 AM
Charter Member

I got a set of Audio Technica MH10 on SDOTD for like $29 and they're great for this exact use.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-30-2017, 05:17 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The two I use are:
KG K240 - Very smooth, non-fatiguing response and extremely comfortable headband and suspension system, the standard in studios, mine are about twenty-five years old at this point
Sony MDR7506 - Brighter, more fatiguing, more hyped

Both are in the $70-100 range

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-30-2017, 05:42 PM

I asked the same question not to long ago and I went with the AKG 240 mkII (on recommendation from Bob). I love the things. They sound great and are very light on the head. I went with the mkII version because it came with extra ear pads of different material and an extra cord.

I bought it from this place from New York and it came in fine. They are on sale for $79 right now and that is a good buy.
http://www.proaudiostar.com/akg-k240-mkii.html

they are normally $150, as you can see in this sweetwater add.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K240mk2

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 05-30-2017, 08:43 PM

I get the best overall sound through in ear monitors. I have a set of MEE M6 Pro, that, for $50 sound better to my ears than my Shure SE215's and more comfortable. The sound isolation helps bring about the bass response and no one else is hearing what I am, and although I like my $50 JVC XX, they get hot over my ears. Also. My AKG K240s sound good, but again, the over the ear get hot and cumbersome to wear for extended periods of time, not to mention the open back design emit sound to nearby people. If you're OK with earbuds, I'd try the MEE M6 Pro. The accessory kit alone is worth the price. And if you don't like them, they'll make a nice set of earbuds for someone.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:19 AM

The thing to be sure of is that the
impedance of the headphones is
higher than the impedance of your
amps 'phone jack.
Do this and you'll get great sound.

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars