The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-26-2017, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Default My two T style electrics

Recently did a neck swap (the rosewood FB neck is a conversion scale, 24.75) and new pickguards to make me happy. Gets me all the single coil sounds I want, the red guitar does tele and strat sounds, the koa w/ p90 does all the fat tones, T-Bone Walker to Eric Clapton thick leads to Muddy Waters and Albert Collins, very versatile.

The koa unit is my main gig guitar.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:39 AM

Very attractive duo, and interesting choices. I understand strat tone typically accompanies a 25.5 scale, so I'm curious as to what motivated your move to a shorter scale for that one.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Thanks!

My decision to swap necks started w/ my desire to have the maple neck on my main gig guitar. Easier for my old eyes to see on a dark stage.

When I got the RW FB neck on the red guitar, it sounded better than before. The pickup positions (5) were much better defined individually and the guitar still has all the snap and twang it had before.

So, I'd suggest from my experience, that those strat sounds are not scale dependent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Very attractive duo, and interesting choices. I understand strat tone typically accompanies a 25.5 scale, so I'm curious as to what motivated your move to a shorter scale for that one.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:40 PM

I learn something new every single day, for which I'm grateful. I've read elsewhere that a humbucker "needs" the traditional Gibson 24 3/4 scale and doesn't sound right on a 25.5, so I wondered if the reverse were true. Glad to find things are more flexible.

I'm on a wide-neck investigation - are those tele 1 5/8? 1 11/16? They look wider in the pics.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
Thanks!

My decision to swap necks started w/ my desire to have the maple neck on my main gig guitar. Easier for my old eyes to see on a dark stage.

When I got the RW FB neck on the red guitar, it sounded better than before. The pickup positions (5) were much better defined individually and the guitar still has all the snap and twang it had before.

So, I'd suggest from my experience, that those strat sounds are not scale dependent.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm on a wide-neck investigation - are those tele 1 5/8? 1 11/16? They look wider in the pics. Thanks
Good eye! Both are 1 3/4ths with a very wide string spacing (7.75mm E-E).
Old 05-26-2017, 01:38 PM

Lovely Ts!
Old 05-26-2017, 01:53 PM

So, did you move the bridges on both, or was there room with adjustable saddles? How did you deal with the intonation problems on both guitars?
Old 05-26-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Good eye! Both are 1 3/4ths with a very wide string spacing (7.75mm E-E).
Ah ha! I knew it - so who makes that setup? I can't quite make out the headstock lettering. I just bought a Agile 3100 with 1 3/4 neck (probably "normal" string spacing) that I like a lot, so far. I've got G&L tele-like Asat Special that came with a 1 11/16, but retained the 1 5/8 string spacing, and I may want to replace that for the single coil experience. Thanks
Old 05-26-2017, 03:07 PM

I was researching conversion necks earlier this week. I wonder what one of my Strats would sound like, and play like, with a 24.75" neck. Don't think I'll pull the trigger though, at least not now.

Great to hear it worked out.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
So, did you move the bridges on both, or was there room with adjustable saddles? How did you deal with the intonation problems on both guitars?
Just had to set the intonation, that's the beauty of the conversion neck, even though we're dealing w/ 3/4ths of an inch in scale length difference, when you split that difference the actual saddle adjustment is very slight.

Here's chart from the folks at Warmoth.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

The wider nut string spacing is something I came up with. My electrics have a wider string spacing than any of my acoustics with the same nut width. Still have plenty of fret on the sides, no string pull off issues,..

Quote:
Ah ha! I knew it - so who makes that setup?
Old 05-26-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
The wider nut string spacing is something I came up with. My electrics have a wider string spacing than any of my acoustics with the same nut width. Still have plenty of fret on the sides, no string pull off issues,..
Very neat. And I should have recognized a Talkovich, as I was looking at those last week.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:18 PM

OK, get the intonation now. I sometimes forget that this type of pocket-screw-on electric has no heel, therefore less visual problem moving the frets around in relation to the body joint. That is a cool conversion all right. And i like the 1 3/4" nuts too - my Tele is too skinny.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Great looking Teles. I converted my John Mayer strat to a 24 3/4 about 4 months ago. Much easier to play for my old hands. Tone is still strat. I also have a short scale T type which is one of my favorites. I noticed the short scale comfort when I picked up my Anderson shorty T a couple of years ago.-- Darwin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars