The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-09-2017, 02:55 PM

Default Zoom A3 or other suggestions for a live Nylon rig

Hello

I play nylon string guitars. I am organizing a new project. The combo will consist of myself on nylon, a second guitarist on steel string, bassist on fretless and/or bass guitar, a violinist, and a percussionist on cajon and other percussion thingies.

I am trying to put together a rig for playing live music. I took a look at a some amps. (Fender and Fishman). They are a convenient 1 piece solution but for the cost I wasn’t really impressed.

I think I would rather use my EV ZXA1 powered speakers. I have a small Yamaha MG06 mixer I can mount to a small pedal train pedal board but my mixer does not have verb. I would like a little verb and a good DI.

The Zoom A3 looks interesting but I don't know if I would use the modeling. But a DI with effects and a built in tuner to put in front of my mixer looks what I need.

Does anyone have any experience with the Zoom A3? How well does it work? My gig guitars will be 2 Cordoba guitars with the Presys preamp system (GK and C7 with a cedar top).

I have a LR Baggs Para DI but I would need a reverb pedal. That could be option, any effects suggestions?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks for your support.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:27 PM

The Zoom works fine and gives you lots of possibilities but you do have to spend some time with it to get the sounds you want. I have one I've used twice, and decided the trade off of using just one pedal versus a pedal board wasn't for me.

Check out some YouTube videos and see if it's for you. If you decide you want one I know where you can get a good deal on an almost new one....
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 05-10-2017, 07:36 AM

Thanks a lot Ruppster.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

I have always liked TC Electronics. I currently use their Hall of Fame reverb pedal with my nylon string guitars and I am very happy with it.

http://cdn-downloads.tcelectronic.co...al-english.pdf

They have both rack mount and pedal versions of much more extensive effects, probably way more than you are looking for.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:27 PM

Late to the reply, but I've used the Fishman Tonedeq for years on various acoustic guitars, with various pickups. It is the most transparent DI/EQ I've found because the effects are in parallel to the analog signal which is maintained through the signal path. It has very practical usable features, including reverb compression, and low cut.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:42 PM

Thanks a lot!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical