The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-19-2017, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Interesting vid. on mic'ing elec. Guitar

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the electric forum so I'll likely do both

Just got an email from Sweetwater this morning highlighting this video
I am assuming because I purchased an Electric Guitar Amp in Nov. Ha

Since I have yet to record my Electric I was interested

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-20-2017, 12:01 AM

Mitch has done a good job transitioning from editorial to sales!
Old 05-20-2017, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Yep seemed much more editorial than sales pitch

Pretty basic good info..... I thought the suggestion to raise the amp off the floor was interesting

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 05-20-2017, 08:26 AM

off the floor.......especially good for live back line situations. Get the amp off the floor so the guitar player can actually hear the amp. That way they are less likely to crank the amp up too loud (so they can hear it).

Get it up about waist high and maybe angle it back a few degrees so it hits the player in the chest and/or face. Much easier to adjust the knobs then as well.

Amps on the floor at the backline can be a recipe for a disastrous mix.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
off the floor.......especially good for live back line situations. Get the amp off the floor so the guitar player can actually hear the amp. That way they are less likely to crank the amp up too loud (so they can hear it).

Get it up about waist high and maybe angle it back a few degrees so it hits the player in the chest and/or face. Much easier to adjust the knobs then as well.

Amps on the floor at the backline can be a recipe for a disastrous mix.
I am pretty new to electric so thanks

So for recording it seems to be for decoupling.
And for live to hear it better more than decoupling ?
My particular set up is a combo amp and speaker cab so the top speaker sits about mid thigh and both are mounted in a slightly upward orientation . I am guessing for live I am good to go but for recording might want to experiment with raising it to change the bass response ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-20-2017, 11:25 AM

i use a book under the amp so that the sound is projected upward more. otherwise, it gets rather muffled with some of the sound going into my carpet.

i think your decoupling ideas are spot on. yes, you'll probably need to tweak the knobs somewhat to get YOUR sound.

i really like your setup, kev!!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-22-2017, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i use a book under the amp so that the sound is projected upward more. otherwise, it gets rather muffled with some of the sound going into my carpet.

i think your decoupling ideas are spot on. yes, you'll probably need to tweak the knobs somewhat to get YOUR sound.

i really like your setup, kev!!

play music!
Thanks yes I am really enjoying it, and now that I am learning to play lead riffs I will start to record it .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-22-2017, 07:50 AM

I've got a tilt-back amp stand for stage use, but for recording, I just tilt the amp back and lean it against a doorway corner that is conveniently placed. I close-mic it so don't think I'm getting any floor or wall resonance effect.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Guitar Gourmet

It is important to experiment and develop a "vocabulary" of mic positions and mic types to apply to get different sounds. I tend to do whatever is needed to make the sound right. One of my favorites has turned out to be the combination of a SM-57 and a Royer R-121 ribbon mic.

The SM-57 tends to have a pinched midrange but a nice low and high end for amps and the Royer is stronger in the midrange. Together they give a more balanced sound. Notice that I didn't raise the amp and it is also pretty close to the wall as well. The particular Orange amp's and the player's sound were a bit bright so I left it on the floor and used corner coupling to get a more smooth sound for my uses. I also backed off by about five inches to get some room tone because I wanted to tame the bright upper mids a bit. The pic distorts the actual aim points a bit - they were about a third of the way in from the rim and the diaphragms were parallel. The room is asymmetrical so the room sound is a bit nicer than that of a square box. Though this was a rather large combo I've put a Fender Champ in the same place and handled it similarly.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
It is important to experiment and develop a "vocabulary" of mic positions and mic types to apply to get different sounds. I tend to do whatever is needed to make the sound right. One of my favorites has turned out to be the combination of a SM-57 and a Royer R-121 ribbon mic.

The SM-57 tends to have a pinched midrange but a nice low and high end for amps and the Royer is stronger in the midrange. Together they give a more balanced sound. Notice that I didn't raise the amp and it is also pretty close to the wall as well. The particular Orange amp's and the player's sound were a bit bright so I left it on the floor and used corner coupling to get a more smooth sound for my uses. I also backed off by about five inches to get some room tone because I wanted to tame the bright upper mids a bit. The pic distorts the actual aim points a bit - they were about a third of the way in from the rim and the diaphragms were parallel. The room is asymmetrical so the room sound is a bit nicer than that of a square box. Though this was a rather large combo I've put a Fender Champ in the same place and handled it similarly.

Bob
Hey great info I notice also that the Orange appears to have a slight upward angle built into it also .
I happen to have a SM 57 but the only other studio mics I currently have are Schoeps CMC6 MK4 and Brauner Phantom V both of which I suspect I would have to be placed back a bit from the amp.
I do also have two condenser stage mic's that I will probably try also. A Shure Beta 87 and AKG C900

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 05-22-2017, 11:01 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Hey great info I notice also that the Orange appears to have a slight upward angle built into it also .
Also note that the speakers are at a diagonal in the cab.
Quote:
I happen to have a SM 57 but the only other studio mics I currently have are Schoeps CMC6 MK4 and Brauner Phantom V both of which I suspect I would have to be placed back a bit from the amp.
I do also have two condenser stage mic's that I will probably try also. A Shure Beta 87 and AKG C900
You can try dual with any pair by tracking to separate tracks. In the mix you can blend to taste.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD