The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-17-2017, 01:08 PM

Had a 2016 Elite Strat for awhile, and my 16 year old cheap Yamaha electric stayed in tune better. Difference was in the setup. A Guitar Tech should be able to help you, but you might have to accept a little less range.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry68 View Post
It's not worth making any surgeries on my current guitar as its a cheap beginner guitar what I want to know is if on the more advanced guitars, will I have the same problem?
Straight answer: yes you will, but probably to a lesser degree. Stretching the strings when you install them, learning to return the trem to "home base" after each manipulation of it (which is a skill, and can be learned), or even "decking" the trem (adjusting it so it lies flat against the body and you can only depress it, not pull up on it) are all simple things you can do to address (but probably never competely solve) this inherent characteristic of most trem systems.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:01 PM

I've got an American Deluxe Strat & finally just tightened all the springs down as far as possible, effectively blocking the tremolo. Unless you know a very good guitar tech, forget tremolos and save yourself some grief. IMO.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:51 AM

We still haven't heard what the OP expects from a tremolo......subtle effects or crash & burn? A FR-style locking trem is over kill for the former, while a vintage style will not accommodate the latter.

What is your purpose for said device?
Old 05-18-2017, 07:32 AM

Let's not forget, the first Van Halen album was played on a 6 point vintage style fender trem.

Setup (including string installation) and technique matter. Both. You can't just yank a 6 point and let go of it. You have to kind of bring it back.

Well you can just yank it like Jimi, or Sir Richard Blackmore, but the next move better be to bash it on the ground and light it on fire, or you will be disappointed with the next sounds it makes
Old 05-18-2017, 08:24 AM

I have a cheap Chinese Strat. Although I've upgraded the electronics, pickups and other parts, it still has the original trem setup. I use 11-50 gauge strings with 5 springs on the trem block and adjusted the trem to one eighth inch off off the deck. I have no issues with this guitar staying in tune.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars