The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-14-2017, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Mine came (bought used) with what appears to be Elixir Polywebs which I don't care for (much prefer Nanowebs) but haven't played it enough to change them out yet. Will definitely go with Nanoweb HD Lights since that's pretty much what I'm using these days anyway.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:08 PM

Nobody mentioned Martin Marquis. I've used them for years on my martin now my CA and enjoy the bright sound. I may go back to elixers though. I switched to light D'Addario at the suggestion of my luthier. Arthritis. I'm going back to medium, though. The Ernie balls are in my sights not though.

Was wondering what gauges we are using? It does make a difference
Old 05-16-2017, 01:05 AM

Finally, I tried the heaviest gauge Jazz BeBop '14 from Thomastic Infeld.
Those are nickel wound strings designed for archtops. With such a thick strings guitar feels different. Not specifically good or bad, but different. It is loud when strumming heavily and responsive with fingerpicking. It is much less bright than Thomastic Plectrums and this makes carbon sound very distinct.

Amplified sound with those strings is what i definitely like. It is very balanced and rich. Seems like piezo transducer is more responsive to higher tension. And also nickel strings sound darker than bronze which is good when using sound processor.

So, will stay with them for a while.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber