The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2011, 06:45 PM

Oops double post sorry
Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dablues View Post
I have played several Martins with adi tops but never owned one. I believe adi tops can be driven alittle harder than sitka tops giving the guitar sligtly more headroom and more "punch" making them a great choice for playing bluegrass or flatpicking. A sitka top may actually be a better choice for playing singer/songwriter stuff, etc. I do not believe that either one is necessarily "better" than the other, just different.
Thanking you dablues +1 It's like comparing a Sitka to a Cedar. Cheers
Old 03-14-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
Oops double post sorry
Oh you crack me up. LOL
Old 03-14-2011, 06:55 PM

For some reason I do prefer "the look" of sitka...
Old 03-15-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
For some reason I do prefer "the look" of sitka...
I've always had sitka and cedar tops, I too love the look of these two. Does the Adi changes in colour like the sitka as it gets more use?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
I've always had sitka and cedar tops, I too love the look of these two. Does the Adi changes in colour like the sitka as it gets more use?
Adi changes just as much as Sitka, but has more "character lines" or dark veins, neither is better. Adi has more headroom for sure, great for flatpicking, Sitka is warmer, Cedar is warmer still.

Don't forget the "tweener" woods, Martin has used Carpathian, Engelmann, Alpine, etc. on some limited run models.

I owned and HD-28 and HD-28V for years, I would not say the 28V had heavier bass but rather the entire voicing is different with the forward shifted scalloped braces. 28V's are dark and woody, none of the brightness of the HD28. To me 28V's and VS's are the most atypical Martin dreads, folks love that dark honey sound or think they are dull/muted, I personally love them.

The HD-28 and 28V are probably the most often "customized" models with either Adi tops and/or low profile 1-3/4" nut necks, Podium offers a wonderful Engelmann topped D-28 too. While many of these customs are fine guitars they are not the "same" guitar, and HD-28 or 28V with an Adi top to me becomes a different guitar, better or worse is up the player.

Some fine guitars in this thread...........long live Martin!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 03-15-2011, 07:52 AM

Fongie -

The Ditson 111 model and the 333 model were made by Martin. They are a revisit of the first dreads made by Martin for the Ditson company in the 1930s. There were 148 of the 111 model made, I think they still sell the 333 model.
2008 Martin Ditson 111
2000 OM28V
2002 SCGC 00
1969 J-50
2000 Larrivee koa special parlor
Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 AM

Let's pick,

-Tom
Old 03-15-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Hello Infer-del, just love the 3 piece back of them D-35's. I've read that somewhere that some were made with the centre piece being braz wood, would that be correct?
I've heard the same thing but wouldn't know how to tell if it was. I wished it was... would make the value go up. But it plays and sounds so sweet I don't care if it's made of concrete.

Quote:
Regarding your D-17, what is the difference to a D-18?
Lots. If I'm not mistaken the 18 is the least expensive Martin D with a dovetail neck. The 16, 17, 15, 1 and the like all have bolt on necks. On this one the fingerboard and bridge are micarta and not wood... strange since the D-15 has a rosewood fingerboard and bridge and this is basically a gloss top 15. Plus the top on the 17 is mahogany where as the 18 is of course is spruce. The 17 is light as a feather too... amazing how light it is. Smells awesome. Not sure what the bracing difference is on this Vs the 18. I love the tortoise pickguard and binding on it though. It has a real mellow sound to it. The wah wah effect is the craziest thing about it. Never heard an acoustic do that before on its own.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:12 PM

rmyAddison, thank you. Very interesting indeed. As a new member to Martin guitars, it can get a little confusing, but I am slowly getting there thanks to you and other members, especially special thanks to dablues.

Infi-del, thank you. I have always been a mahogany fan myself, only recently switching to rosewood. Not very familiar with Martin mahogany guitars, but thanks to you, I am on my way to understanding more.

Pschaafs, thank you. Definately so much I didn't know about Martin. +1
Old 03-15-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
rmyAddison, thank you. Very interesting indeed. As a new member to Martin guitars, it can get a little confusing, but I am slowly getting there thanks to you and other members, especially special thanks to dablues.

Infi-del, thank you. I have always been a mahogany fan myself, only recently switching to rosewood. Not very familiar with Martin mahogany guitars, but thanks to you, I am on my way to understanding more.

Pschaafs, thank you. Definately so much I didn't know about Martin. +1
Hey Fongie, some good, knowledgeable folks here on the AGF. I'm surprised you can find time for us now that you have that sweet HD-28 in the house!

I live in North Carolina and some of the older folks around here pronounce guitar "git-tar." Bet you don't ever hear that in Australia!

Keep us posted on how things are going with your new guitar. What kind of strings are you using on it?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Hey Fongie, some good, knowledgeable folks here on the AGF. I'm surprised you can find time for us now that you have that sweet HD-28 in the house!

I live in North Carolina and some of the older folks around here pronounce guitar "git-tar." Bet you don't ever hear that in Australia!

Keep us posted on how things are going with your new guitar. What kind of strings are you using on it?
Hello dablues, sure is a lot of knowledge here, I'm sure glad I posted this thread too, sure makes it easier to ask valueable questions regarding Martin's especially dreads. Thank you.

No we don't pronounce "git-tar" the way you do, but I do like it very much. I have heard this mentioned in movies. LOL

Regarding my strings, I am not quite sure. They are new but still the originals from the seller, I haven't had time to take to my Luthier as yet to check over and a string change. I know they are medium's, what brand, I'm not sure. It's not bad, sounds mighty fine, but I prefer lights, the meds sure kills my fingers regarding bending the strings.

I'll keep you up dated. Cheers
Old 03-16-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Hello dablues, sure is a lot of knowledge here, I'm sure glad I posted this thread too, sure makes it easier to ask valueable questions regarding Martin's especially dreads. Thank you.

No we don't pronounce "git-tar" the way you do, but I do like it very much. I have heard this mentioned in movies. LOL

Regarding my strings, I am not quite sure. They are new but still the originals from the seller, I haven't had time to take to my Luthier as yet to check over and a string change. I know they are medium's, what brand, I'm not sure. It's not bad, sounds mighty fine, but I prefer lights, the meds sure kills my fingers regarding bending the strings.

I'll keep you up dated. Cheers
If I may offer a suggestion, I would stick with mediums...dreadnoughts generally sound better with med gauge strings. I have D'Addario PB mediums (EJ17) on my HD-28 and have been very satisfied.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
If I may, I'd like to suggest D'addario EJ19 "Bluegrass" phosphor bronze Strings. They have light guage trebles, but medium guage bass. That way you get the max out of your Martin Dread. I have them on my D-35 and D-17. I've tried 50 different brands and guages of strings on my D-35 over the years and these get the most out of my Martin. Definitely add them to the list of strings to try if you haven't already.

Last edited by Infi-del; 03-16-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Hey Fongie,

I ran mediums for a long time on my dreads, but I'm running lights on my HD-28V now and it sounds fantastic with them. I do have it set up to run lights, and the guitar has a few years of play time on it, so it may be more complex and responsive than it was when new, or my ears or tone preferences have changed.

Whatever it is, the guitar is sure a lot more supple, quick, smooth and comfortable than it was with mediums. I think making sure a guitar has adequate volume and a complex enough treble response is one way of thinking about what kind of guitar will do better with lighter strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion