The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2011, 10:10 AM

Rich, you need a few more guitars....WOW...Nice grouping of Martins.

I only have one, a 2009 DC-1E

Me and my guitar by rkl245, on Flickr

Keith Lewis
Charlotte, NC
rkl245 on the UMGF
rkl on Mandolin Cafe

Martin D-18VS
Martin 000-28EC
Kentucky KM-505 Mandolin
Fender Leo Deluxe Banjo
Old 03-13-2011, 10:14 AM

Here's my 5th String custom, an HD-28V with the Adirondack top and a few other nice touches.

Full set of images here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9058873...7607997617584/
Old 03-13-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiloKiley View Post
Just out of curiosity, would Jimmy Page's D28 have had a Sitka or Adirondack top?
sitka.....
Old 03-13-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dablues View Post
Wow, beautiful guitar! I knew that HD-28 would make a dreadnought-lover out of you!
Indeed By the way dablues, how about pic's of your HD-28? I hear so much about it, pic's will be fantastic too.

There are certainly nice dreads showing here, very impressed.

Last Sat. I went for a wonder in a couple of local music shops here in my home town of Brisbane Australia, just being nosey
My God, didn't I get a shock of my life with the pricing. Holy maccaroni, a brand new HD-28 is just under 5 figure and the D-28 is over 3 1/2 and I think it was the D-40, 7 figure. Blimey, I have no hope coming up with that kind of dosh, very steep indeed.
Thats Australia for you, well Brisbane anyway, I think I will just stick with seconds
Old 03-13-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgadi View Post
Here's my 5th String custom, an HD-28V with the Adirondack top and a few other nice touches.

Hawg, very nice.
I was thinking of a HD-28V but prompted for a HD-28 instead. It was a little out of my price range.
How do you find the forward shifted bracing? Does it give more volume? How does it compare to a HD-28?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:28 PM

Nothing like Martin tone for me!

Old 03-13-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
Hawg, very nice.
I was thinking of a HD-28V but prompted for a HD-28 instead. It was a little out of my price range.
How do you find the forward shifted bracing? Does it give more volume? How does it compare to a HD-28?
You know, I can't really say for sure what the differences are between those two guitars. I found mine at the 5th string and just fell in love with the tone--I don't recally an HD-28 being there to compare.

They had a bunch of these customs, all sounded a bit different, and this one just had the tone, power and balance that my ear was looking for. Several identically spec'd models were more bassy, but all the ones with the Adi tops had a crispness and snap that was different than the sitka ones. The sitka ones have a darker, smokier tone to my ear. Also awesome, but this one was just right to my ear.

I recall getting it back from Gryphon after then neck set (yes, it's only a few years old!) and having one of the guys' head turn immediately when I opened up with it. He literally stopped in his tracks and asked what it was. I assume he was wondering year, date, model etc. as it was obviosly a Martin dread. Kind of cool, as he's heard just about everything.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
You know, I can't really say for sure what the differences are between those two guitars. I found mine at the 5th string and just fell in love with the tone--I don't recally an HD-28 being there to compare.

They had a bunch of these customs, all sounded a bit different, and this one just had the tone, power and balance that my ear was looking for. Several identically spec'd models were more bassy, but all the ones with the Adi tops had a crispness and snap that was different than the sitka ones. The sitka ones have a darker, smokier tone to my ear. Also awesome, but this one was just right to my ear.

I recall getting it back from Gryphon after then neck set (yes, it's only a few years old!) and having one of the guys' head turn immediately when I opened up with it. He literally stopped in his tracks and asked what it was. I assume he was wondering year, date, model etc. as it was obviosly a Martin dread. Kind of cool, as he's heard just about everything.
LOL! I could imagine. I was shocked with the volume mine produced when I first played it, it just blew me away. Yes, the crispness certainly sound nice. Cheers
Old 03-13-2011, 05:29 PM

I have two, a D-28 and a D-18VS. The D-28 is the most recent and I chose it for the balance and projection. I actually chose it over several other models as it seemed to fit well with the Irish fiddle tunes I anticipated using it for. The D-18VS has a huge, wide sound I like for small ensembles playing old time American tunes.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Cool. I've got the mahogany version of the 5th String Custom.

After going through doubts about whether Martins were over-rated, and whether Martin dreads were suited for fingerpicking, this guitar is really growing on me. Seems to get sweeter every day.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Cool. I've got the mahogany version of the 5th String Custom.

After going through doubts about whether Martins were over-rated, and whether Martin dreads were suited for fingerpicking, this guitar is really growing on me. Seems to get sweeter every day.
Love to see/hear that guitar. I don't recall seeing that or maybe I just wasn't looking for the mahogany version. I think I went in there to check out a used D-35 and got sucked into the vortex of all the great customs.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kente777 View Post
My 175th anniversary Martin HD-28V. Best guitar I've ever owned!

]
Ken, I swear your Rosewood carries the same similarities as what is on my HD-28. Could it be from the same batch?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Indeed By the way dablues, how about pic's of your HD-28? I hear so much about it, pic's will be fantastic too.

There are certainly nice dreads showing here, very impressed.

Last Sat. I went for a wonder in a couple of local music shops here in my home town of Brisbane Australia, just being nosey
My God, didn't I get a shock of my life with the pricing. Holy maccaroni, a brand new HD-28 is just under 5 figure and the D-28 is over 3 1/2 and I think it was the D-40, 7 figure. Blimey, I have no hope coming up with that kind of dosh, very steep indeed.
Thats Australia for you, well Brisbane anyway, I think I will just stick with seconds
Unfortunately I don't possess the technical sophistication to post pics of my guitar on here. I think you have a guitar you can be proud of and will want to keep for a very long time (I feel the same way about mine).
Old 03-13-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dablues View Post
Unfortunately I don't possess the technical sophistication to post pics of my guitar on here. I think you have a guitar you can be proud of and will want to keep for a very long time (I feel the same way about mine).
+1
Hey many thanks for your help regarding the HD-28
Old 03-13-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Hawg, very nice.
Generally F/S bracing will give a guitar a little stronger bass response. Personally I have found the low end to be a little too boomy on the HD-28V for my tastes althought they are wonderful guitars. I prefer the HD-28 as its slightly more balanced and not quite as boomy. I would love to hear Hawg's 28V with that adi top. I sometimes think that a guitar made with F/S bracing almost needs an adi top (stiffer than sitka).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion