The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2010, 12:22 PM

Default Why no maple top?

Always been curious about that. Maple is obviously "fine" for semi-hollow electrics, not to mention has undeniable aesthetic qualities. But what is it about maple that makes it unsuitible (apparently by its complete absense) for an acoustic's top. I welcome the education

Edward
Old 01-13-2010, 01:16 PM

I presume because it's such a stiff/inflexible hardwood that it wouldn't provide sufficient movement as a top wood to create adequate sound/volume. Most top wood is softwood rather than hardwood for the same reason I guess but I'm sure a luthier or two could provide more of an official explanation.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
Always been curious about that. Maple is obviously "fine" for semi-hollow electrics, not to mention has undeniable aesthetic qualities. But what is it about maple that makes it unsuitible (apparently by its complete absense) for an acoustic's top. I welcome the education

Edward
I used to have a Fender acoustic dred that was all maple; Top/back and sides and neck. It was bright and clear sounding to say the least and it was louder than Cedar but not quite as loud as Spruce.

I think it can be done and prolly be a very nice instrument. The Fender I had and sold was also a good instrument.

2007 Warwick corvette bass (Double Buck) 4 string
2009 Custom Coco/addi jumbo "Maranatha"
2010 412 Spring LTD

Amps- some of them
Peavey 100watt acoustic amp (very clean sounding)
Roland JC-120 head with 4x12 matching cabinet
Praise and Worship dude
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...44369/Guitars/
Old 01-13-2010, 04:53 PM

I had the same Fender which did not sound bad, but it was all Laminated Maple. I don't think Fender has done all-solid Maple guitars ever.

The fundamental sound-generating mechanism is different between electrics and acoustics; so it does not make sense to drag what's used on one to the other with the argument "it's ok for electrics and why not for acoustic" and vice versa. The acoustic top vibrates, but electric's does not.
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)

Last edited by jhchang; 01-13-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhchang View Post
The fundamental sound-generating mechanism is different between electrics and acoustics; so it does not make sense to drag what's used on one to the other with the argument "it's ok for electrics and why not for acoustic" and vice versa. The acoustic top vibrates, but electric's does not.
This I get ...I mentioned it, but was not implying that just because it's fine for electrics, it'd be good for acoustics. Sorry if that was implied in my post.

Bottom line: why no maple tops? Barring the one lone Fender that was raised (thanks, MD), why have manufacturers and indiv luthiers clearly not used this wood as a top? Anyone "in the know" know?

Edward

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion