The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-29-2016, 11:05 AM

I've been to both the Swannanoa Gathering and FPR (multiple times). In think it's apples and oranges, both great but very different.

FPR is a more intimate experience. You stay with the same group of students and instructor for the entire time, and by the end of it, you feel like you've just extended your family... And the food is definitely far superior to Swannanoa.

Swannanoa is a much larger event.. there are hundreds of people there, all spread out on a college campus, taking different classes. I was VERY impressed by the caliber of musicians who attended, and by their instructors. Being nestled in the Smokey Mountains, you get a real feel for the history of Celtic and Americana music that arose there.

Another difference...there is no alcohol allowed at FPR. So, between the very healthy food and lack of anything (other than the music) to alter your mind, it's a very clean experience.

Swannanoa has a beer truck after 5 pm, and of course, people bring their own moonshine (family recipes?). I didn't notice that people got drunk and out of hand at all, but it definitely is more of a party atmosphere.
1900/2020 Chipman Parlor
1985 Fender ST-562 Stratocaster
Old 06-29-2016, 11:51 AM

When Tommy Emmanuel asks to borrow ur shampoo in the fur piece bathroom- yeah I guess you could say it's a pretty close setting

One thing thou- the rooms/beds are TINY.. If your over 6 ft you'll be bumping your feet on the post all night.

Very cool experience overall - been there 4 times.
2009 Huss and Dalton MJC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion