The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-28-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermiteTermite View Post
Oh yes! Thank you for bringing back memories. At that time, I used to listen to Paco de Lucia and flamenco A LOT. Living in my Germany at the time, I had just finished high school, was fluent in Spanish and pursued a girl from Pais Vasco (Basque) whom I wanted to marry and move to Spain with...

I had no idea what a cajon was, though, and didn't even dream of someday playing the guitar.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-28-2016, 08:38 PM

Make your own, it's just a wooden box... A cheap acoustic with the strings removed would probably suffice and you could use a strap too so it could be played standing...

Last edited by teleamp; 06-28-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbat View Post
I already use my hands to play the guitar and my feet to trigger percussions,
but if I needed a cajon, I would have a hard look at that :

http://www.roland.ca/products/el_cajon_ec-10/
+1. The Roland cajon is very versatile. Has built-in electronics to give you different sounds. In addition it runs on batteries if you need the extra volume, so great for gigging outdoors if no power is available.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:00 PM

This is the guy Lindsey Buckinham has been touring with. Taku Hirano. He played cajon on a lot of those songs. This is an Meinl brand one.

1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 06-28-2016, 10:25 PM

This is the one that my wife and I use. It is nicely made, good sound, very portable, and versatile. It has a snare on one side and no snare on the other, so you can get a variety of tones out of it.

http://www.kopfpercussion.com/birch-...pf-percussion/

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 06-29-2016, 08:43 AM

Thank you, everybody, for your helpful comments and recommendations! Last night, my bandmates and I went cajon-shopping. We tried about a dozen, side by side, and it became pretty clear pretty fast what we were looking for. Unanimously, we kept going back to one in particular, the LP Americana Groove Cajon, which turned out to be more varied in sound than the others, and amazingly responsive. When we took it to the checkout, we learned it's price had been reduced substantially, so that was an added bonus, too.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 06-29-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:25 AM

Why not go the traditional route, and use a washtub bass? much more authentic, and one of a kind to boot!
Old 06-29-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Why not go the traditional route, and use a washtub bass? much more authentic, and one of a kind to boot!
Haha, guess what? That's next up on our list! Has been for a while, we just haven't gotten around to it yet. I think we'd want both, though. The cajon would be used in songs that really call for say, a train beat, which one can't achieve with a bass, be it traditional or washtub.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-29-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Thank you, everybody, for your helpful comments and recommendations! Last night, my bandmates and I went cajon-shopping. We tried about a dozen, side by side, and it became pretty clear pretty fast what we were looking for. Unanimously, we kept going back to one in particular, the LP Americana Groove Cajon, which turned out to be more varied in sound than the others, and amazingly responsive. When we took it to the checkout, we learned it's price had been reduced substantially, so that was an added bonus, too.
I'm glad that you liked it.

Having played drums for over 20 years, I prefer a kick drum, a snare, and brushes. I'm playing with an American/Newgrass band. Sorry for the poor quality recording, but this is from a live show last year:

https://www.reverbnation.com/thenewr...ong-black-veil
Old 06-29-2016, 03:41 PM

Default Looking for cajón recommendations for small bluegrass/Americana string band

Glad you've found one you like. For playing amplified you could consider using a Shure Beta 91, the boundary mic design that Shure has been marketing as a kick drum mic for years (though it was originally designed as a conference mic amongst other uses). It can get a bit boomy depending on the cajon itself but place it on a thick cloth like you probably would for a bass drum and the broad spectrum of the Beta 91 will give you kick drum lows as well as the snappiness from the snares.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-30-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Glad you've found one you like. For playing amplified you could consider using a Shure Beta 91, the boundary mic design that Shure has been marketing as a kick drum mic for years (though it was originally designed as a conference mic amongst other uses). It can get a bit boomy depending on the cajon itself but place it on a thick cloth like you probably would for a bass drum and the broad spectrum of the Beta 91 will give you kick drum lows as well as the snappiness from the snares.
Good suggestion. If you have a Shure 57 lying around, that's a good overall mic as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion