The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-29-2016, 09:51 AM

I own two Martin dreads and two Larry dreads, including a D03R. I love them all, but can certainly hear differences between them. My D03R has a midrange bump which I like, and my other Larry a D09 doesn't have.

If you hear a Larrivee that speaks to you, grab it!
Old 06-29-2016, 10:11 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Strings....How old were the strings used on both guitars?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-29-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
You know that $2900 doesn't go away, it's not like the Larrivee and Martin are worth the same thing on the used market the next day, when you spend more it's worth more, and Martins are excellent at holding their value.
This makes little sense to me.

Spend more money now, even if the guitar doesn't seem better to you, so you can get more money back when you sell it. Of course the whole time you own it, that "extra" money is tied up in the guitar and you can't use it.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 06-29-2016, 10:55 AM

I think it's always good advice for people to not pay for qualities they can't hear. We all have different ears and different musical development - along with different desires in tone quality.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-29-2016, 11:00 AM

Default If I've Learned Anything...

I think that Larivee is such a hugely respected guitar builder and brand that it is not surprising that, leaving cost out of the test, it compares favourably with the Martin, even coming out ahead subjectively. A well made guitar is a well made guitar regardless of the name on the headstock. Bling certainly seems to add a lot to the cost of the Martin 40+ guitars and if that is what you want then fine.

I had been GASslng for a Martin 000 or OM28 for a while for a number of reasons: I wanted a Martin, I wanted a slim neck OM and I wanted a guitar with rosewood back and sides. Then along came a high end Furch at the right time (and right price!) and that cured my Martin yearnings immediately. Beautifully built, less bling than an OM41 (but more than an OM28), and a joy to play. Better than a Martin? Possibly not but definitely not inferior either. Even if it had cost the same as a Martin (which of course it didn't) I would still be happy with the guitar I bought.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-29-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slice View Post
inciting a verbal war? not seeing it.... one person posts an opinion... others are posting favorable/dissenting opinions... no biggie
My thoughts too. We all have opinions and people don't generally start threads expecting like minded opinions on such topics.

To the OP: There is nothing that is better sounding and better playing "for the money." It either is or it isn't (or maybe undeterminable?) to the ears and hands of the evaluator, regardless of cost. Expecting comparisons of overall evals + $$$$ cost + budget to all line up linearly - unrealistic. Determining one of them to be overpriced - meaningless. Finding one you like that also fits your budget regardless of all else - works for me!
Old 06-29-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
My thoughts too. We all have opinions and people don't generally start threads expecting like minded opinions on such topics.

To the OP: There is nothing that is better sounding and better playing "for the money." It either is or it isn't (or maybe undeterminable?) to the ears and hands of the evaluator, regardless of cost. Expecting comparisons of overall evals + $$$$ cost + budget to all line up linearly - unrealistic. Determining one of them to be overpriced - meaningless. Finding one you like that also fits your budget regardless of all else - works for me!
My bad then...just how I was reading some of the replies to the OP. I'll go back and change my original post to a less dramatic term.

Last edited by Treenewt; 06-29-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Proving what?

So you and a few friends preferred the Larrivee, fine, does that mean someone else who prefers the Martin is wrong?
It's the Martin fanboy to the rescue.

He didn't say that someone who prefers the Martin is wrong. Where in his post did you read that?
Old 06-29-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
My bad then...just how I was reading some of the replies to the OP. I'll go back and change my original post to a less dramatic term.
Again, we all have opinions! You included! I always appreciate your opinions even if one time I may disagree! No need to revise!
Old 06-29-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
Again, we all have opinions! You included! I always appreciate your opinions even if one time I may disagree! No need to revise!
Thanks for that Crikey. My choice of wording was poor, and your post helped me see that. I appreciate the reply!
Old 06-29-2016, 12:42 PM

Well, we got to 23 posts before "Martin Fanboy" name calling came up. That's not bad. Just don't bring up Wannabe.

.......Mike
Old 06-29-2016, 01:20 PM

I understand the OP completely! His qualifier, "for the money" is one that every last one of us contends with daily, else we'd all be playing guitars that cost more than our cars! (Wait, some of us do!)

The Law of Diminishing Returns, applied to guitars, says that for $x you get guitar that does a pretty decent job of being a guitar, maybe 90% of it. For $xx, the guitar gets up to, say, 95% of whatever an Ideal Guitar does. For $xxx you might get up to 98%, but that last 2% might cost you $xxxxx! Is it worth it, "for the money?" It is to some folks, but not to others.

I knew a kid in Rwanda who was overjoyed with his new, locally made guitar-shaped instrument, built for less than $10 US. He could only dream of having a "real" guitar, perhaps a $100 Rogue. To him, in a country where the per capita income in 2014, in US dollars, is just under $700/yr., that Rogue was not worth it. There's a real lesson here for all of us, even those for whom that $100 Rogue is "inexpensive."

"For the money" means different things to different people.

cotten
Old 06-29-2016, 01:25 PM

wait a minute...what about the taylor????

stir, stir, stir

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-29-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
..."For the money" means different things to different people.cotten
Amen! And is quite often tied quite closely to the value (and brand!) of their most expensive guitar. I doubt you'll find many posts by the OP touting the virtues of guitars costing much more than $1300, or guitars that aren't Larrivees. Yet you WILL find plenty of them by other folks.

Funny how that works
Old 06-29-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Did an actual side-by-side comparison of a Larrivee D-03R against a Martin D41 last week with two other "witnesses" who also played both.

First off to get it out of the way, a Martin is a Martin and has that Martin vibe and tone so I get it.
The Martin was $4200 with the Sitka Spruce Top and East Indian Rosewood back and sides and the bling.
The Larrivee was $1298 with the Italian Alpine Spruce Top and east Indian Rosewood back and sides. No bling.

After spending a good half hour back and forth and doing a literal side-by-side simultaneous strumming the same chord patterns and doing some picking, all three of us had raised eyebrows.
For a difference of $2900, the real or perceived difference just didn't manifest itself profoundly. In fact, we all agreed that for the money, the D03R was the better sounding of the two and...better playing.

What did I learn?
Acoustic Guitar comparisons are at the end of the day, extremely subjective. (Kind of knew that)
While I can appreciate the beauty and Martin Vibe wholeheartedly,
I just didn't see the extra $2900. Neither did my friends.
That's kind of amusing.....obviously Mr. Larrivee and the marketplace don't agree with your blanket assessment. I'm pretty sure if he thought his guitar would merit the additional cost, he would tack it on.

I will concede that to you and your friends, the Larrivee sounded better and that's basically all you're saying, I hope. If you're trying to say the Martin is overpriced, understand that the guitar buying public sets that price, not Martin.

When the buyers begin to tell Martin the price is too high, the price will be lowered. At present, they disagree with you and your friends.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion