The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Guitar Picks View Post
Good, hi. Sorry if my explanation was unclear.

What I'm saying, more accurately, is that the guitar stays IN TUNE when I apply the G7 capo, whereas with every other capo I've used I have to stop and retune the guitar to that new key before proceeding. Does that make sense?

For example, with most capos, when you move the capo from, say, the second fret to the fifth fret, yes, the capo has changed the relative KEY you're playing in, but the strings have become slightly out of tune, so if you want to be perfectly in tune in that new key you must stop to retune. If you then moved that capo down to the first fret, you have the same problem.

Let me know if you still need further explanation. I'm happy to further clarify.

The G7 is the only capo I've found that allows one to play immediately after moving it to a new fret, with the guitar still in tune in that new key. For consistency, it's by far the best.

As they say, YMMV (You Mileage May Vary), and if another capo does it for you, by all means don't spend the money on the G7 (I think the P2 is about $40 these days). But to me, quality accessories are important, especially if I'm playing solo live and need to move the capo around a lot.

Hope this helps.

scott

Thank you for clarifying that.

I'd like the try the G7 to see if I get the same "mileage". I've never used any capo that would not affect the tuning is some way, so if that one doesn't, it's worth demo'ing.

I'm still trying to figure out how it could be that different.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-26-2016, 11:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

It's kinda expensive to order one online as a test. I'm wondering if one of the large national chains such as Sam Ash or GC might carry them in stock. If so, you could buy one from them and road test it for 30 days, then still return it for a full refund.

This would be better than trying to test it in a noisy music store, I would think.

The model you want to ask or is the Performance 2; that's the best one they make.

keep us posted,
scott memmer
Old 06-27-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
It's kinda expensive to order one online as a test. I'm wondering if one of the large national chains such as Sam Ash or GC might carry them in stock. If so, you could buy one from them and road test it for 30 days, then still return it for a full refund.

This would be better than trying to test it in a noisy music store, I would think.

The model you want to ask or is the Performance 2; that's the best one they make.

keep us posted,
scott memmer
There is no need to test a G7th Performance 2. Unless there is a defect in the one the person is buying there really isn't much that could fail. You are not dealing with spring tension here; it's like a ratchet you click it so many times before you get just the right amount of squeeze on the strings. Positioning too is also important. Short of that, there really isn't much else too it.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
There is no need to test a G7th Performance 2. Unless there is a defect in the one the person is buying there really isn't much that could fail. You are not dealing with spring tension here; it's like a ratchet you click it so many times before you get just the right amount of squeeze on the strings. Positioning too is also important. Short of that, there really isn't much else too it.
You might want to try it to see if, as is claimed, it improves "intonation" up the neck. I'm sure it performs as a capo is designed to perform, I have questions whether it's better than my Paige.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-27-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
You might want to try it to see if, as is claimed, it improves "intonation" up the neck. I'm sure it performs as a capo is designed to perform, I have questions whether it's better than my Paige.
It's different. I own the Paige and not a fan but that is due to design. It works, and no sound/intonation issues but just don't like it. I prefer my G7th.

The Paige stays strictly in my LX1 bag for it's my go to bag when I go to someones house, trip, etc. I keep a Snark, Paige, and some pics in that bag so there is no worry if I forgot something.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:57 AM

Default Bird Of Paradise

No one ever mentions these. But they are, by far, the best capos I have ever used and I have used a lot of them. I really dislike Keyser. I own a couple Shubbs which are decent. But they seem to throw off the tuning on the low strings. They are radiused too much. I have the Planet Waves, which is decent.

But as I said, none compare to the Bird of Paradise. You can only find them at Elderly. At least, that's where I buy them and I have not found them elsewhere.

The capo change is so quick and easy. It can hang out on the top of your headstock like a Keyser. But it does not throw your guitar our of tune. I never have to adjust it once I put it on. It can easily be done with one hand.

I got one when I was like ten years old for Christmas. That one was my main capo for the next 20 years. It finally broke. But I used it a LOT. I own about 6 or 7 of them now and they are the only ones I use. I have them in every acoustic guitar case.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:25 AM

I'll throw in my G7 endorsement as well. It performs sonically as well as I could ever hope but I'll add an additional bonus: since its profile is so small I am able to keep it permanently stored on my Taylor guitar headstock. That means it stays there even when the guitar is stored it its case without interfering with the surrounding padding. Its ALWAYS there.

I've gotten so good at unlocking it that it becomes one simple motion to grab it from the head stock, mount it, slight squeeze, and go. Back on the headstock it goes when no longer needed.

I tried many capos and can't imagine how a G7 could be improved IMHO!

Tim
Old 06-28-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
I'll throw in my G7 endorsement as well. It performs sonically as well as I could ever hope but I'll add an additional bonus: since its profile is so small I am able to keep it permanently stored on my Taylor guitar headstock. That means it stays there even when the guitar is stored it its case without interfering with the surrounding padding. Its ALWAYS there.

I've gotten so good at unlocking it that it becomes one simple motion to grab it from the head stock, mount it, slight squeeze, and go. Back on the headstock it goes when no longer needed.

I tried many capos and can't imagine how a G7 could be improved IMHO!

Tim
Thinner/smaller IMHO. That's the only change I would do.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Finger, I think you understood my point, but no big deal.

What I was saying to the OP (maybe not as clearly as I could have) was he may want to test it first to see if he likes it enough to throw down $45 vs what he's using right now. Admittedly, close to a half a hundred bucks for an accessory is a lot of bucks, and I'm all for spending as little as possible to get the performance you want.

I usually order things like this online, but to someone who's new to the G7, he could buy it at GC, for instance, and not have to worry about shipping it back and all that if it's not for him. I hope this clarifies.

scott
Old 06-28-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Finger, I think you understood my point, but no big deal.

What I was saying to the OP (maybe not as clearly as I could have) was he may want to test it first to see if he likes it enough to throw down $45 vs what he's using right now. Admittedly, close to a half a hundred bucks for an accessory is a lot of bucks, and I'm all for spending as little as possible to get the performance you want.

I usually order things like this online, but to someone who's new to the G7, he could buy it at GC, for instance, and not have to worry about shipping it back and all that if it's not for him. I hope this clarifies.

scott
I found unless you get free shipping, you usually don't save anything. For instance, products I looked at in GC and Sam Ash I found online for the same exact price once shipping was included. It's only when I can get free shipping that I save money.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I found unless you get free shipping, you usually don't save anything. For instance, products I looked at in GC and Sam Ash I found online for the same exact price once shipping was included. It's only when I can get free shipping that I save money.
Your point is well taken, but it's entirely possible the OP won't be as taken with the G7 as most of us. If that's the case, it is much easier to buy and return it to a retail store. Most online retailers (such as Amazon) will allow you to return things, but you get charged for the freight.

I don't think we can automatically assume everyone wants to shell out $45 for a capo, no matter how good it is. I own about eight of them, but that's just me.

sm
Old 06-29-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Your point is well taken, but it's entirely possible the OP won't be as taken with the G7 as most of us. If that's the case, it is much easier to buy and return it to a retail store. Most online retailers (such as Amazon) will allow you to return things, but you get charged for the freight.

I don't think we can automatically assume everyone wants to shell out $45 for a capo, no matter how good it is. I own about eight of them, but that's just me.

sm
Well I also think people on here whom spend $1000-plus on a guitar and many have many guitars in that price range, what's a $45 capo? It's all relative depending on how you look at it.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

I've loved teh Planet Waves NS capo for years. Great adjustability for tenson. Nice compact design. fits easily in a pants pocket. I have several. One in each guitar case/gig bag, just in case I forget to put one in my pocket. Reasonably priced.

Then I saw where they are giving away a red one if you buy 2 sets of D'Addario strings. i didn't want the strings. But I thought a red capo would be fun. And it'd be harder to misplace. I went on ebay. Some company is selling the red ones at a great price.

So I bought 4. I was going to buy 2 (for the same price I paid for 1 before). But then i saw if i bought 4 the last 2 were only costing me $2.50 each. hard to pass that up.

They haven't come yet. So, I don't know if they're as good as the old black ones. But I'm a sucker for a deal.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:10 AM

Hi all. I ordered the G7th P2 from Guitar Center for $30 & free shipping last week. I ordered the black one. The other colors were more expensive. There are no big retailers around where I live, so it's easier for me to order online.

Still waiting for it to arrive. Seems to be stuck in USPS land. Hopefully it's as good as some of you say it is. From youtube, it looks pretty easy to install/remove/move.

Quick question though, can it be placed/stored on the headstock, or won't it stay?

Thanks again to everyone for their comments & experiences on the subject.

John
Old 06-29-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky40 View Post
Hi all. I ordered the G7th P2 from Guitar Center for $30 & free shipping last week. I ordered the black one. The other colors were more expensive. There are no big retailers around where I live, so it's easier for me to order online.

Still waiting for it to arrive. Seems to be stuck in USPS land. Hopefully it's as good as some of you say it is. From youtube, it looks pretty easy to install/remove/move.

Quick question though, can it be placed/stored on the headstock, or won't it stay?

Thanks again to everyone for their comments & experiences on the subject.

John
I never put mine on the head-stock due to it not being spring loaded, and a tad on the heavy side. But I saw a comment on here of someone doing it all the time. So I guess yes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion