The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-29-2016, 09:16 AM

Default Epiphone Masterbilt Century Collection

I came across this yesterday. Epiphone is releasing 3 new archtop acoustic/electric models with round or f-shape sound holes.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/ind...oming.1719792/

Should be interesting.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:52 AM

Cool. I'd love to hear the plugged in sound on these and see if they live up to the hype.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:27 PM

Look a lot like Gretsch's current offerings.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

All well and good, but they gutted the MB flattop line several years back and really decimated it. All the best AJ models are gone, with the exception of the newer AJ-45ME model, which has been poorly received here on AGF and virtually everywhere else.

I fail to see their logic. Supposedly they claimed that the AJ and other models "didn't sell well," and yet the archtop category is a much smaller part of the market. I'm scratching my head.

There are thousands of owners of the AJ models, and thousands more who would buy them if they were still in the line.

my two cents,
scott memmer
Old 06-29-2016, 03:23 PM

Default MB Flat tops

I agree. I discovered the MB line quite by accident when I decided to get back into playing guitar in 2013. In doing some research I came across a video (5-10 years old) that described a whole group of all solid wood instruments. The EF-500R (Spruce over rosewood OM) and the AJ-500M (Spruce over hog advanced jumbo) struck me right off the bat. I was saddened to discover that both of those along with most of the line had been discontinued. I ended up buying a DR-500MCE and am quite happy with it but it made me wonder WTF Epiphone was thinking.

I am not much into electrics but these look interesting. I am flat broke right now but will give these a listen.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:22 PM

Let's put the picture in this thread:

˙˙˙

whm
Old 06-29-2016, 05:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
I agree. I discovered the MB line quite by accident when I decided to get back into playing guitar in 2013. In doing some research I came across a video (5-10 years old) that described a whole group of all solid wood instruments. The EF-500R (Spruce over rosewood OM) and the AJ-500M (Spruce over hog advanced jumbo) struck me right off the bat. I was saddened to discover that both of those along with most of the line had been discontinued. I ended up buying a DR-500MCE and am quite happy with it but it made me wonder WTF Epiphone was thinking.

I am not much into electrics but these look interesting. I am flat broke right now but will give these a listen.
Hawk, unfortunately, I have to agree once more.

BTW, I believe the EF-500rcce is still in the line, although this might be a slightly different model than the one you were referring to. IMHO, it's the only really good guitar left in the line (I'm a slope shouldered guys these days, so I'm aware a lot of folks own and like their DR models; however, I think we have to factor Gibson's long history (1940s) in slope models to give them the benefit of the doubt on that side of the aisle.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EM3CCNSGH

We're supposed to refrain from criticizing manufacturers here, so to make this analysis as even-handed as possible, I believe their decision to discontinued the other models was not that they were not selling, but that they were selling TOO well, thus:

1) The guitars were so well designed and built that they started to impact the Gibson flat top sales (J-15 $1499; J-35 $1849);

2) Gross sales were good, but gross PROFITS were not.

I have absolutely no inside knowledge on this, and I could be dead wrong, but this is my analysis from the outside looking in.

BTW, I bought a used/refurb EF-500rcce a few months back on eBay for $400.00. It was in PERFECT condition and so new that the plastic covering on the pickguard was still in place.

I also own three AJ-500Ms, and the one with a B-Band aftermarket rig in it is my main gigger. The reason? I've had a D-28 stolen, and one stolen Martin is enough in one lifetime. Although I wouldn't be thrilled if the Epi MB got stolen, it wouldn't hit me as hard as the Martin (it took me ten years to get over that little incident before I bought another Martin), and if it DID get pinched I have another one behind it.

The AJs are pretty darn good guitars for the $$$. You can find them out there on ebay and CL for $350-400.

Wade, would love to hear your further thoughts on this; you and I have had some good discussions about this line in the past.

scott memmer
Old 06-29-2016, 06:23 PM

From what I can see they're not going to make it to the North American market; although Thomann UK has the entire lineup listed (including that Dave Rawlings-approved Olympic that would probably sell like crazy here on the AGF) - with projected availability shortly after Summer NAMM - the only model being introduced here is the '66 Century. Shame, since they're priced to compete with the current D'Angelico line, and although the quality is nowhere near their respective predecessors it's reminiscent of the Big Band-era archtop wars...
Old 06-29-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Let's put the picture in this thread:

˙˙˙

whm
Those guitars look beautiful...
Old 06-29-2016, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

I think the Masterbilt AJ500 M and Rs were great.... If you got a good one. The vast majority were real quality control nightmares. What does it say when your guitars are mostly sold as refurbs? That's the reason they died, and not because of a perceived threat to the US Bozemon Gibsons.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'll take your word for it, since I know you have a lot more experience with the older models. I guess I've been lucky, twice.

sm
Old 07-01-2016, 03:17 PM

Seems they will be making it here after all - sometime after the European release, but hey:

http://www.epiphone.com/MBCentury.aspx
Old 07-11-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
From what I can see they're not going to make it to the North American market; although Thomann UK has the entire lineup listed (including that Dave Rawlings-approved Olympic that would probably sell like crazy here on the AGF) - with projected availability shortly after Summer NAMM - the only model being introduced here is the '66 Century. Shame, since they're priced to compete with the current D'Angelico line, and although the quality is nowhere near their respective predecessors it's reminiscent of the Big Band-era archtop wars...
Don't know where you got that information. They're out now and available everywhere. Sweetwater has all the models for instance.

I'd love to pick one of these up. Unfortunately what few dollars I have available are earmarked for gear I actually need. But I hope to grab one in the near future. Of course the one I want is the most expensive. LOL

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETD2VSNH
Old 07-12-2016, 05:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Hi Steve,
The Olympic will only go to prove that it's David Rawlings in the driver seat of anything he picks up.

What I really don't understand is why they did not use the asymmetrical headstock design, although the original Olympics I've seen never had the 'open book' layout.

HE
Old 07-12-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrif View Post
Don't know where you got that information. They're out now and available everywhere. Sweetwater has all the models for instance...]
Read my second post - the one immediately above yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
...What I really don't understand is why they did not use the asymmetrical headstock design, although the original Olympics I've seen never had the 'open book' layout...E
Yeah, the asymmetrical headstock would have been more accurate given the pre-1935 logos - the necks are also more '40s/early-50's in design as well. Seems to me they're trying to evoke the overall NY Epiphone vibe without being historically accurate to any one period - you mention the Olympic, but there are significant differences in the other two models as well; oh well - time will tell how well they're received...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion