The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 01:02 AM

Default How does rosewood tonaly evolve when aging?

Someone once said in a thread that Rosewood's metallic kind of trebles (which I really dislike) tended to disappear while aging , have you experienced that on your rosewood guitars?
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 12-15-2017, 01:17 AM

From what Ive experienced, and its not much (about a year with a solid EIR b/s guitar), is that the Bass and low mids become more...developed and mature.

Really digging the sound right now, the low humidity is helping too.

Thats also something to consider. Torrefaction sort of removes moisture from the wood, and that gives you a more played in sound.

No doubt, the other more experienced folks will chime in a sec..
Old 12-15-2017, 01:31 AM

I would say, after owning an IRW H&D Custom 00, that the wood on mine has definitely aged in a graceful but richer tone. I notice this mainly in the overtones. Kind of hard to put into words though.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:41 AM

Johan, since I don't hear rosewood's sound as being "metallic-sounding," I'm afraid I can't really comment on what happens to the treble response with time. But as both Chalk and Loo have written, the low end and midrange do definitely warm up and come in stronger in the overall tonal balance of the sound.

whm
Old 12-15-2017, 02:36 AM

Mine, a Martin, J-40 went from bright and zingy to warm and full of what I heard as unpleasant overtones over period of about three years, after which time I sold it. It left me skeptical about the universal benefits of aging and buying new guitars.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:37 AM

Hey Johan.

Not a wood expert, but I will tell you my own experience. I feel you will relate, because as a classical guitar player you probably know a song that I use to test the trembles in any guitar. I always like to play the first 1:20 min of La Cathedral from Agustin Barrios Mangore.

I bought a new Guild D55 (Sitka/EIR) years ago, and I had her for 6 years. At the beginning the instrument had that metallic sound that I tend not to like also. However, after the first 3 years or so the sound became more warm (or had something that it was no longer metallic) and not annoying. I've always used the same brand of strings on this guitar (Martin Medium PB). Maybe this is a spruce characteristic. In addition, the base changed for the better also. Although at the beginning it was plenty and full, it became also a bit more mellow and gained more sustain.

Moving forward to a smaller body. One thing that got me when I tested my OM was the warm bass response. At that time I didn't know anything about cocobolo wood. And I am saying this because, I compared that OM to the exact model with EIR and spruce the same day side by side and the bass on the EIR model was different. The trembles on my OM was not so metallic for a fresh out of the bench instrument, but I can hear it. After 1,5 years that I have the guitar, I hear differences on the trebles for the better. Again, maybe it's the spruce. I hope that helps.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
Mine, a Martin, J-40 went from bright and zingy to warm and full of what I heard as unpleasant overtones over period of about three years, after which time I sold it. It left me skeptical about the universal benefits of aging and buying new guitars.
I have made a similar observation with a guitar that I bought in mid 70s and played again a few times more recently, though I liked the abundance of overtones. I would attribute the tonal changes more to the overall aging process than to the presence of rosewood.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
...Torrefaction sort of removes moisture from the wood, and that gives you a more played in sound.
As I understand it, that is only one step within the process:

Torerefaction/torrefication is a process of drying the wood out in a vacuum oven. The lack of oxygen prevents combustion and the wood is heated hotter. This breaks down the structures in the wood fiber

Afterwards, the chamber is pressurized with water vapor to restore the moisture that cooked out of the wood.

The purpose of this process is to break down the wood fibers to simulate mechanical aging.

Original Torrefaction was used to convert biomass to coal and the goal was to remove all water. But with guitar woods they do that, artifically aging the wood, then put the water back in.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-15-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Madsen View Post
Someone once said in a thread that Rosewood's metallic kind of trebles (which I really dislike) tended to disappear while aging , have you experienced that on your rosewood guitars?
It is quite possible that because you read a comment about rosewood being zingy that you think you hear it too. I don't hear anything "zingy" at all in my rosewood guitars, and I have 4 of them. My Larrivees and Goodall sound full, rich and melodic.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 12-15-2017, 10:21 AM

I think that if one worries about how their guitar will sound, years down the road, they are worrying over something they can't control. Some of the most sought after guitars are old, aged, Rosewood guitars. Likewise some of the most sought after new guitars are Rosewood. You can't speculate on something that may, or may not, ever materialize.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:37 AM

ManyMartin wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I think that if one worries about how their guitar will sound, years down the road, they are worrying over something they can't control. Some of the most sought after guitars are old, aged, Rosewood guitars. Likewise some of the most sought after new guitars are Rosewood. You can't speculate on something that may, or may not, ever materialize.
You hit the nail right on the head there, ManyMartinMan. Excellent point well-argued and articulated, which is why I quoted you in full. I agree 100%.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-15-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Another good excuse (uh...I mean "reason") to keep buying more guitars.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 12-15-2017, 11:40 AM

Maybe some of the "metallic" perception might come from the strings being used, instead of the wood?
Old 12-15-2017, 11:43 AM

I would expect that any change in tone you are hearing over time with rosewood has more to do with how the back and sides are interacting with the changing voice of the top as it ages.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Johan, since I don't hear rosewood's sound as being "metallic-sounding," I'm afraid I can't really comment on what happens to the treble response with time. But as both Chalk and Loo have written, the low end and midrange do definitely warm up and come in stronger in the overall tonal balance of the sound.

whm
I also have no idea what people mean when they say rosewood sounds metallically. I am a fan of both rw and hog, too me rw sounds deeper and richer not "metallically".

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion