The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 09:29 PM

Default About to pull the trigger on a Blueridge, unless....

As mentioned in my previous post a week or 2 ago, I’m thinking about buying either a 341 or 361 (rosewood or hog) Blueridge.

Unless some of the guitar knowledgeable users on this forum could help me find more variety in the follow specifications:

-Smaller body: 000 or smaller

-Sitka or softer (no Adirondack or Hog) soundboard

-Nut width 1 3/4 or larger
Saddle Spacing 2 1/4 or wider

-Short Scale (no more than 25, less then 24)

-Preferably...scalloped bracing as well. I want a responsive/dynamic guitar to the touch

I’d be willing to spend a bit more than the Blueridge if needed ($1600 max)

Just wondering if some of you can give me any other suggestions. I went back and tried an Eastman e10p and om at my local guitar store, but they just weren’t as open and responsive as I was hoping for.. maybe due to the Adirondack (love it for some guitars, like softer soundboards for most).

I know it’s asking a bit much for a guitar under $1600... can’t help but feel as though there’s the perfect guitar under these specs hiding from me!

By the way, the Blueridge would be bought online, so I would consider another guitar online, as long as it’s a fairly consistent guitar maker.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2017, 09:34 PM

The only other line in that price range I would have suggested was to check out an Eastman. Since you've done your homework, I'd grab that Blueridge and enjoy. Great quality guitars and a very reasonable price.
1999 CFox 'Frisco' concert w/ Trance Amulet MV
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 12-14-2017, 09:41 PM

Take a look at the Alvarez Masterworks and the Alvarez/Yairi guitars. The Masterworks are excellent guitars and the Yairi ones are a cut above. They might be a bit above your budget depending on the model
Old 12-14-2017, 10:37 PM

Wow I never knew about Yairi.. looking into them and they look promising. Might be worth the extra money! Has anybody else had/heard any good things about Yairi guitars?
Old 12-15-2017, 12:34 AM

Get your hands on the Yamaha LS16 R/M... Give it a go and decide...

Switch the plastic nuts and saddle to bone, and you will have people heads turning to you.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:42 AM

Hi

Have a look at the Guild Westerly series - I was looking for a guitar with similar spec to you, and bought the M-140.

Been delighted with it; 00 sized, 1 3/4" nut, 2 1/4" bridge, solid hog b/s and solid sitka top.

I originally wanted a Martin 00/000 -18, but decided in the end that i couldn't justify the expenditure.

Rich
Old 12-15-2017, 06:42 AM

I would try a few more Eastman's maybe the one you tried was a dud? I have an E20P (Rosewood) and it holds its own with my more expensive instruments regardless of outlay. If we factor in price then its arguably my best purchase. A bluerdidge is a significant step down from Eastman in my opinion although they are still good guitars. Eastman make fantastic guitars. Yairi are also very good but sometimes use laminate so check the specs carefully if you want all solid.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 12-15-2017, 10:35 AM

I won't try to talk you out of the Blue Ridge. I own a 371 which is similar to the 361 but with a little more bling. A beautiful guitar that plays well and sounds much bigger than it is; very musical. Got mine new for well under a grand. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronfield View Post
Hi

Have a look at the Guild Westerly series - I was looking for a guitar with similar spec to you, and bought the M-140.

Been delighted with it; 00 sized, 1 3/4" nut, 2 1/4" bridge, solid hog b/s and solid sitka top.

I originally wanted a Martin 00/000 -18, but decided in the end that i couldn't justify the expenditure.

Rich
You could get a brand new martin 000-18 for $1800~ on the forums here
Old 12-15-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
I won't try to talk you out of the Blue Ridge. I own a 371 which is similar to the 361 but with a little more bling. A beautiful guitar that plays well and sounds much bigger than it is; very musical.

+1. Once casually picked up a 361 while prowling a guitar store and was surprised at the big sound the little parlor put out.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoganymadness View Post
-Smaller body: 000 or smaller

-Sitka or softer (no Adirondack or Hog) soundboard

-Nut width 1 3/4 or larger
Saddle Spacing 2 1/4 or wider

-Short Scale (no more than 25, less then 24)

-Preferably...scalloped bracing as well. I want a responsive/dynamic guitar to the touch

I’d be willing to spend a bit more than the Blueridge if needed ($1600 max
You can get a Taylor 312e 12 fret for that price by negotiating 15% off normal retail.

You can get a Martin 00-17 12 fret or 000-17 14 fret (both short scale) for that retail.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:30 PM

If you go with the Blueridge, and I love their guitars, call Maury-one of the AGF sponsors and see what price you can get.

https://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdet...1/157736/53487
Old 12-15-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoganymadness View Post
Just wondering if some of you can give me any other suggestions. I went back and tried an Eastman e10p and om at my local guitar store, but they just weren’t as open and responsive as I was hoping for.. maybe due to the Adirondack (love it for some guitars, like softer soundboards for most).
Totally understand where you are coming from with this.

I was pretty underwhelmed when I got my Adi topped Eastman E20D.

Thought about selling it but decided to give it 6 months-a year.

So happy I stuck with it. Heavier strings and some heavy gigging and it's opened up beautifully. Took about 6 months before the thumpy, blanket over the guitar sound disappeared.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:47 PM

Ok so I’m thinking about waiting for my local shop to get some more Eastman’s, as it seems more and more based on these reviews that I may have played a dud. If not, I think I’ll go the 361 route. As much as I love Martin, their string spacing on standard 000-OMs just isn’t wide enough for my liking. That and I don’t think I’m gonna go too far over my budget of $1600. So sounds like I need to try some more Eastman’s before I click the button online for the Blueridge (cannot find a single blueridge dealer within hours of me (Portland/Seattle area). Thanks for the help!
Old 12-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

I had two Blueridges and the dread was really good, except the neck was skinny. It was a 140A. Not too big to get around on and tons of headroom that after a few years sounded dang nice.

I had a 000 cutaway that looked better than it sounded. I sold that quickly.
Maybe you can score one from Mauries and see if you can get a trial for the tone you are seeking. In general I like the 140A better than most Eastmans that I have played.

My luthier loves Eastmans he recommended many models to me. My friend wanted to sell his maple backed archtop for 1500$ that had that flat wound jazz tone. These changed your playing for faster tempos. It seems they make your fingers move quicker just by the short sustain and beautiful tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion