The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-13-2017, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Default a string experiment

my factory-recommended string (on my Taylor short scale GC 700-series (GC7) is 12-53 80/20's

I like a lighter string so I run 11-52's and adjusted my action for the lower tension.

I'm also a creature of habit........for example, I;ve driven the same model of car three times in a row....not make, but the same MODEL. ......so, yeah, I find something I like and stick with it.

Anyway, I've tried different strings but never liked them and always came back to my 11-52's

So, I've been playing a lot of drop-D stuff and the lower tension reduces a little of the bottom end on that string, so I made up my own set and stepped up to a .053 on the E, making a non-existent 11-53 set.

Now, the interesting thing is that the extra low end this provides is a bit overpowering but it also balances some of that Taylor high end that some people aren't fond of.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-13-2017, 11:24 PM

I'm the same. Switched from lights to custom lights for a few months now.
Just changed strings to lights again and I really didn't like the tension, especially on the high e and b. So much so that I've tuned down half and step...the guitar really sounds alive now. Probably a mix of new strings and the low humidity (35%ish).
I also haven't noticed a change in volume from the switch to custom lights, so it's like I added comfort and playability and lost nothing in exchange
Old 12-14-2017, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

Nice idea. I liked Elixirs med/light nano PB's on the Taylor Koa I had for a few years. That Taylor neck is so fast and the 11's were good for soloing and vibrato.

Another string aid the guitar design I have done recently by using TI Plectrum AC112's on my Goodall for balance. They sport a fat .059 low E too. Yet the core, and feel, is flexible. Here is the spec:

Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum Acoustic Guitar Strings are soft sounding and have low tension on the bottom end. The plain strings are made of brass coated steel.
The wound strings have a silk inlay combined with a highly flexible steel core. A, D, and G strings are polished bronze flatwound, while the low E is polished bronze roundwound.
Gauges: .012 - .015 - .024 - .033 - .044 - .059.

My next string I am going to sample which was recommended to me:

Martin MSP-4150 SP 92/8 Phosphor Bronze Light/Medi
(12.5-55 Gauge range) ($7 -free shipping -eBay)
Old 12-14-2017, 01:02 AM
Guest 1511

I changed strings on my Eastman OO using 11-52 Dean Markleys, which I had lying around. Ruined the tone. Especially on the G string, which sounds weird and tinny now. I have a set of Newtone 12s, which are what came on this guitar, and I'm putting those on in a day or two. Some guitars are super sensitive to strings, and I'm thinking this Eastman is one of those kind.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

well I'm not liking the results of this experiement.

Something weird happened:

As soon as I started tuning up the new strings I was really worried at how dead everything sounded. Like really really bad dead sounding. All the strings just went "thud" when I plucked them.

Up to pitch they were better but not right.

So I let it sit overnight played a little this morning but I ain't loving it.

The heavier E string is certainly louder but the feel and ba;ance are not what I'm used to.

I also wonder if I got a pack of dud strings, and maybe my truss rod tweak (1/8 turn for the extra string tension) all added up to change things in a way I dont like.

So.....I'm preparing myself to restring my restrung guitar tonight.

Fortunately working in my shop, a seasonal beer, Christmas music on is therapy for me so I enjoy that time. But I really wanna play my guitar tonight.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:14 AM

I have also been experimenting with the string sizes like Fazool. Now I'm wondering if any one has tried mixing PB's and 80/20's to see what happens.

Maybe a couple PB's on the bottom end (E A) and the rest the 80/20's ?
Old 12-14-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
well I'm not liking the results of this experiement.

Something weird happened:

As soon as I started tuning up the new strings I was really worried at how dead everything sounded. Like really really bad dead sounding. All the strings just went "thud" when I plucked them.

Up to pitch they were better but not right.

So I let it sit overnight played a little this morning but I ain't loving it.

The heavier E string is certainly louder but the feel and ba;ance are not what I'm used to.

I also wonder if I got a pack of dud strings, and maybe my truss rod tweak (1/8 turn for the extra string tension) all added up to change things in a way I dont like.

So.....I'm preparing myself to restring my restrung guitar tonight.

Fortunately working in my shop, a seasonal beer, Christmas music on is therapy for me so I enjoy that time. But I really wanna play my guitar tonight.
Fazool, you and I have the same guitar. And I believe we both like to play fingerstyle with bare flesh. I, too, prefer custom lights. But I decided to experiment with NB 12-53. Very happy with the results. Better low end, balance, and feel pretty much like 11-52.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
Fazool, you and I have the same guitar. And I believe we both like to play fingerstyle with bare flesh. I, too, prefer custom lights. But I decided to experiment with NB 12-53. Very happy with the results. Better low end, balance, and feel pretty much like 11-52.
Thanks - Ill look for that in my next experiment.

I just now finished up returning to my Custom Lights. I think I had a set of duds. Even disregarding the larger 6th string, the other strings thudded and my Taylor lost all its sparkle. I went back to another identical new set, readjusted my truss rod (only 1/8 turn looser for the barely lower tension), then went to a 052 6th and its back to my wonderful sparkly guitar again.

I'm such a creature of habit - it's probably all in my head

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion