The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 07:44 PM

Default Acoustic Strings

Hi Guys.

Dean Markley - Vintage Nickel acoustic strings (85%) Copper (15%) Zinc.

Has anybody tried these strings I just noticed them in a guitar store @ $9.00 a set. I currently use D'addario Phosphor Bronze and pay $15.00 for single sets.

Appreciate those with opinions as to the quality/tone comparisons

Thanks

Brian.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhejh View Post
Hi Guys.

Has anybody tried these strings I just noticed them in a guitar store @ $9.00 a set. I currently use D'addario Phosphor Bronze and pay $15.00 for single sets.

Thanks

Brian.
Are you sure you mean the "Nickel" acoustic strings, Dean Markley has Vintage Bronze acoustic strings, I think you mean those.

Firstly, that's quite a high price I think for those strings and also for the D'Addarios if they are the uncoated (EJ) version!

Secondly, I've tried these on several guitars and didn't like them. Rusted quickly, not a lot of sustain and generally didn't like their tone.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:05 AM

Default Acoustic Strings

Yes they were Vintage Bronze strings. Thank's for your comments, Ill be sure to avoid them.

Thanks again

Brian
Old 12-14-2017, 01:10 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Hi Guys.

Than

Brian.
I put a set of Dean Markley PB 11s on my Eastman yesterday. I don't like them at all. Of course I realize you're talking about a different mix of metals, bu this is the second set of Markley's I've been disappointed with. Still, it's a cheap experiment and you might like them. The DM strings are a different kind of sound than D'addario...
Old 12-14-2017, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Yes they were Vintage Bronze strings. Thank's for your comments, Ill be sure to avoid them.
Okay, you've received one negative comment from someone who, presumably, you've never met in person or heard play the guitar. I'm not calling his or her opinion of those strings into question, as we're all entitled to our own opinions, especially those informed by our own experiences.

But you don't know what those constitute, and you have no experience with those strings yourself.

$9.00 doesn't seem like a huge amount to risk to find out for yourself whether you like those strings. If you're willing to let your own musical experiences be guided by one other person's offhand negative response, how will you ever know whether their tastes and musical needs match your own? Maybe you'll LOVE those strings.

Personally, I kind of like to figure this stuff out for myself. You might want to try that approach sometime, too.

whm

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 12-14-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: corrected a typo
Old 12-14-2017, 03:10 AM
Guest 1511

Correction to my last post. I am using the 11-52 Vintage Bronze Markleys on my Eastman OO, not the PBs. So I'm using the ones you have in mind. I bought them recently from GC.

I find them very different from the Newtones that the guitar came with. The tone is not warm, nor is it bright. It's simply off-color to my ears if that makes sense. Still, like WH says, my experience will not necessarily be yours and $9 is not a lot to spend to find out. I mean, I bought these strings because in the past I've really liked how Markleys sounded on my guitars.

Since I'm here you might as well hear what I am finding works well on my smaller guitars recently: Martin Lifespan SPs. Now those strings sound incredible with everything I've used them on so far.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

Hi Brian.
If you'd like to try a different set of 85/15 strings, I'd recommend GHS Vintage Bronze. I've used them on several of my guitars, and really like how they bring out the woodiness of the guitar, and how they give the guitar's voice a "played-in" character. They are particularly nice on an overly bright guitar. Also, you can find these at the various on-line string vendors for around $5 a set. Of course, YMMV.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 12-14-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Okay, you've received one negative comment from someone who, presumably, you've never met in person or heard play the guitar. I'm not calling his or heer opinion of those strings into question, as we're all entitled to our own opinions, especially those informed by our own experiences.

But you don't know what those constitute, and you have no experience with those strings yourself.

$9.00 doesn't seem like a huge amount to risk to find out for yourself whether you like those strings. If you're willing to let your own musical experiences be guided by one other person's offhand negative response, how will you ever know whether their tastes and musical needs match your own? Maybe you'll LOVE those strings.

Personally, I kind of like to figure this stuff out for myself. You might want to try that approach sometime, too.

whm
Can we make this a sticky.........Sage advice that can be used repeatedly.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-14-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Hi Brian.
If you'd like to try a different set of 85/15 strings, I'd recommend GHS Vintage Bronze. I've used them on several of my guitars, and really like how they bring out the woodiness of the guitar, and how they give the guitar's voice a "played-in" character. They are particularly nice on an overly bright guitar. Also, you can find these at the various on-line string vendors for around $5 a set. Of course, YMMV.
I agree with Ed. Maybe it's the climate in Ohio, we both live there.
Everything he said I found to be true for me, 'specially the part about an overly bright guitar.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-15-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Okay, you've received one negative comment from someone who, presumably, you've never met in person or heard play the guitar. I'm not calling his or her opinion of those strings into question, as we're all entitled to our own opinions, especially those informed by our own experiences.

whm
I didn't mean to put him off of using these strings, he asked for an opinion and I gave him mine. I wanted to try them because other people did like them, but I didn't and tried them on several guitars.

Regarding the price; both D'Addarios and Dean Markleys are around 5-6 dollars on Strings and Beyond, so definitely check that out!
Old 12-15-2017, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
Correction to my last post. I am using the 11-52 Vintage Bronze Markleys on my Eastman OO, not the PBs. So I'm using the ones you have in mind. I bought them recently from GC.

I find them very different from the Newtones that the guitar came with. The tone is not warm, nor is it bright. It's simply off-color to my ears if that makes sense. Still, like WH says, my experience will not necessarily be yours and $9 is not a lot to spend to find out. I mean, I bought these strings because in the past I've really liked how Markleys sounded on my guitars.

Since I'm here you might as well hear what I am finding works well on my smaller guitars recently: Martin Lifespan SPs. Now those strings sound incredible with everything I've used them on so far.
That's about how I would describe them. It's like strings that were on the guitar for a while already, they don't really sound new, or they don't keep the new sound long. It's been a while since I tried the last set, still have some laying around.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:41 AM

I think you can break down any AGF string recommendation thread as 50% pro 50% con and the remaining 50% undecided, unless of course you're talking about titanium strings which are a good product at a bad price and I don't honestly know if I'll ever try them. (50/50/50 the formula still works)

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 12-15-2017, 07:41 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by marit View Post
Secondly, I've tried these on several guitars and didn't like them. Rusted quickly, not a lot of sustain and generally didn't like their tone.
I’m curious, how long to you keep strings on a guitar and what is “quickly” to you? I’ve never left strings on a guitar long enough to get any corrosion - even guitars I rarely play.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 12-15-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
I’m curious, how long to you keep strings on a guitar and what is “quickly” to you? I’ve never left strings on a guitar long enough to get any corrosion - even guitars I rarely play.
These Dean Markley strings had corrosion right out of the pack... It's been an issue for a while and some (European) companies are still selling it, unfortunately.

To be honest they didn't really sound like new strings to begin with, I think I kept them on for a month/month and a half with not that much play on them.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Hi Guys.

Thanks

Brian.
Nope. Haven't tried the Markleys.

$15 for D'addario PB's??? The EJ16's sell for $5.50 and $15 for a three pack. While others like the D'Addarios, I've found they do nothing for my guitar at all and the sound decays f a s t. .
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion