The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-12-2017, 04:32 PM

>> I calculated .001", but because of these "dumbphones," I apparently missed a zero.

OK, good to know our calculations agree. Changing only the fretboard radius has a surprisingly small effect on the hump that the outer strings see, even with as low as a 5" radius.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bausin View Post
>> I calculated .001", but because of these "dumbphones," I apparently missed a zero.

OK, good to know our calculations agree. Changing only the fretboard radius has a surprisingly small effect on the hump that the outer strings see, even with as low as a 5" radius.
Well, the "rise" is pretty much proportional to the radius. So even with a 5" radius, the "rise" is still only .0016" given a fretboard with nut string spread of 1.5" and 22nd fret spread of 2.0"

It only takes a relatively small change to effect zero "hump" with a compound radius. For 10" nut radius, it takes only about 13.3" radius at the 22nd fret (on a 25.5" scale) to effect zero "hump;" this happens to be the only conical section that produces flat string lines. Even 10"-12" creates a .0001" "hump," effectively negligible.

Interestingly, changing the 22nd fret radius "higher" than the theoretical "conical" section moves the hump slightly toward the nut, while picking a radius below the theoretical "conical" section moves the hump away. This shouldn't be too hard to visuialize, as the larger end radius would imply a more squat "cone" than the splay of the string implies.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:12 PM

Don't you have to take the width of the board both at the nut and the 22nd fret into consideration ?

EDIT: sorry Louie, I see you did ...
Old 12-15-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Don't you have to take the width of the board both at the nut and the 22nd fret into consideration ?

EDIT: sorry Louie, I see you did ...
While I did think of the board width, usually the strings are a fixed distance from the fretboard edge throughout its length, somewhere around 3/32"-1/8". That is why I only consider the area between the outside strings' centers. I would argue, however, that the difference is so negligible it would be measured in microns!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair