The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-04-2017, 06:10 PM

Default Patch a hole?

Hi all - I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to best patch a hole. I recently acquired this old 12-string Maton - somewhere along the line a pickup was added, and rather than going out the endpin a hole was drilled out instead - see pic attached. The pickup was long gone before I bought it but I'd like to do something about this hole. I don't care what it looks like (it's not exactly "mint"), just more concerned structurally.

Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 12-04-2017, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

I would use a step drill and ream the hole (gently, low speed) to an appropriate sized plug. Glue a dowel into the end block flush with the inside surface. Glue the plug to that. If you don't have access to pre made plugs or a plug cutter send me the size you need and I'll make you one.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:07 PM

I am going to assume the guitar does not have a lot of value and you aren;t terribly experienced. Looks like that hole is not at the heel block, but all by itself out there with no backing. If you are an amateur without much material or many tools, try to come up with a piece of wood (type probably does not matter), maybe a piece of a door skin or something else thin. Make it a bit thicker than 1/16". First cut a circle bigger than the hole by 1/4" all the way around, boil it in water for 10 minutes, then bend it over a form of the right shape (you could even tape it to the side of the guitar near the hole over a piece of food wrap) and let it dry. Reach inside the guitar and glue it evenly over the back of the hole - you might drill a small hole in the middle and run a string through the hole to tie it to a stick on the outside for clamping. Epoxy would be a forgiving glue, but clean off the excess in the hole to be patched Then make a duplicate and bend it the same way. When it is dry, shape it to fit the hole and glue it in with tape over the outside. When the glue is dry, scrape it level with the surrounding area, patch any small holes with Famowood or other putty, and stain it get close in color.

Good luck
Old 12-04-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
somewhere along the line a pickup was added, and rather than going out the endpin a hole was drilled out instead -
Actually, that is factory location for the input jack on Matons, that is not saying someone has not fitted an aftermarket system, but that is the standard location for them.

Patching comes down to how invisible do you want it, example a 60 dollar job or 300 dollar job.

Place a section of bracing internally at the hole location and then make a filler piece to smooth the hole out, all the rest of the cost is in regards to cosmetics.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-04-2017, 10:25 PM

Good suggestions. That's nearly grainless (in appearance) wood, and the color is an easy match, so it shouldn't be hard to do a good job. I'd round out the hole (many ways to do so, even just w/ a round file) and make the patch with a scrap of slightly thicker wood (so you can sand it flat from the top once glued in). Hobby shops, even hardware stores, sell various sizes of maple and birch that would do. As was suggested above, a brace behind the patched hole will keep the patch from getting knocked out by a bump. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:32 PM

I don't try and hide things like that, I make a feature of them, so I would just figure out a way to make it into a neat hole for a socket. I would also add some reinforcing in the back.

I had a Maton 12-string for while, could have been an FG-80.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Actually, that is factory location for the input jack on Matons, that is not saying someone has not fitted an aftermarket system, but that is the standard location for them.

Place a section of bracing internally at the hole location and then make a filler piece to smooth the hole out, all the rest of the cost is in regards to cosmetics.

Steve
I think you are correct - its just that there is also a whopping great hole where the endpin should be too! I think I've got that covered, at least.

When you say place a section of bracing, do you mean just glue in a small piece of wood behind the hole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby50 View Post
I am going to assume the guitar does not have a lot of value and you aren;t terribly experienced.
Correct on both accounts! Your suggestion makes sense I'll give that a go.

Thanks all.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Maton 425 12-string
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 12-05-2017, 03:35 AM

Yep

The whopping big hole where the endpin should be is actually the access hole for adjusting your truss rod, they used a 7mm square head and it’s attached to a long rod that you insert through the tail block

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-06-2017, 05:13 AM

I had a buddy in school that somehow dented the side of his Camaro. Looked pretty bad and he didn't have the money to fix it so his girlfriend put a bandaid on it.... It was funny and after a while we all just go use to it. So my idea is if you want a cheap easy fix and you don't mind the "embellishment" slap a bandaid on it. If you drink you could probably also put a bottle cab on it somehow.. or take a guitar pick and glue it over it. If you are not set on it having to be wood and having it blend in like it was new then there are thousands of ways to cover it up
Old 12-06-2017, 07:05 AM

Just clean it up and install a new jack in it. Then just never plug it in. Heck you may change your mind one day and decide to add a pickup system. You'd have the jack already installed and ready.
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Abilene Hot Rod Bass (found parts in trash can an resurrected)
Peavey TKO Bass Amp
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
A few more things that I'll add soon
Old 12-06-2017, 08:05 AM

So there's your answer... Both holes are actually original...

Very good and very lucky for you....

Now all you need to do is find the parts to fill them back up to look original and off you go!
Old 12-06-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
So there's your answer... Both holes are actually original...

Very good and very lucky for you....

Now all you need to do is find the parts to fill them back up to look original and off you go!
Hah! Yep there you go, not where I expected to end up after this post but good to know. It's all fun and games. That truss rod adjustment thing is a bit of a mind bender, but looking inside the guitar it makes sense now. Lucky for me the relief is fine for the time being.
I'm not too concerned with the final look but a bandaid is a little low rent, even for me
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Maton 425 12-string
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 12-06-2017, 06:35 PM

Manufacturers truss rod tool for Matons

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-06-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post

Manufacturers truss rod tool for Matons

Steve
Bloody hell!! Less likely to get lost in my tool box, like the one actual allen key I need.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Maton 425 12-string
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair