The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 07:53 AM

Default Recommendations for kit bag?

All my acoustic guitars (that I’d want to take out and about) have hard cases. Whilst you can get a pick tin, strap and capo in the case cubby, I also want Fishman Aura Spectrum, iPad and a couple of leads. So far I’ve been slinging this stuff in a canvas tote, but this affords zero bump protection and it all gets tangled together. I’m wondering what people in a similar situation use as an auxiliary gig bag for these bits of kit?
- Atkin LG47 (aged finish)
- Furch G-CR
Old 03-21-2024, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farlsborough View Post
All my acoustic guitars (that I’d want to take out and about) have hard cases. Whilst you can get a pick tin, strap and capo in the case cubby, I also want Fishman Aura Spectrum, iPad and a couple of leads. So far I’ve been slinging this stuff in a canvas tote, but this affords zero bump protection and it all gets tangled together. I’m wondering what people in a similar situation use as an auxiliary gig bag for these bits of kit?
Many of us who gig do have an auxiliary bag to haul all the bits and pieces in. Heavy duty tool bags are available at all the big box stores and are a popular choice.

I used to carry all the extras in a cheap briefcase. Just right for a multi-effects pedal, cords, and many small items. The advantage of the briefcase is you can instantly see everything and it's easy to pack up so things don't get tangled up.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:24 AM

I carry picks, a capo, an iPad, a tablature workbook, a clip on tuner, and a strap in my Aerocase.

Taylor Aerocase
Old 03-21-2024, 08:44 AM

My guitars always wear their straps and capos, in or out of the case. Each case also has picks. If I'm heading out with an instrument I throwa Cooperstand and an electronic tuner in. I used to keep a tuner in each case, but the off-gassing VOC's in most cases was breaking down the plastic tuner bodies making them soft and sticky.

Also, both my Martins have a 3.5 mm Tapastring Vintage jack, so each of their cases also have right angle 3.5 mm X 1/4" straight plugs that I made up.

IF I'm going to an open Mic or a gig I bring my separate "open mic den mother kit" - a medium sized foam lined Harbor Freight case with a handle and shoulder strap. It contains spare picks for mandolin and guitar, spare tuners and batteries, spare preamp with batteries, a couple dynamic mics, assorted 1/4" and XLR cables and splitters and adapters, a flashlight, multi-bit screwdriver, leatherman, various adapters for cables, an AC extension cord, electrical tape and zip ties.

I never use some of this stuff - it's for the newbies/forgetful players and when gigging, contains the stuff that our main sound/equipment guy never thinks about.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 03-21-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
My guitars always wear their straps and capos, in or out of the case. Each case also has picks. If I'm heading out with an instrument I throwa Cooperstand and an electronic tuner in. I used to keep a tuner in each case, but the off-gassing VOC's in most cases was breaking down the plastic tuner bodies making them soft and sticky.

Also, both my Martins have a 3.5 mm Tapastring Vintage jack, so each of their cases also have right angle 3.5 mm X 1/4" straight plugs that I made up.

IF I'm going to an open Mic or a gig I bring my separate "open mic den mother kit" - a medium sized foam lined Harbor Freight case with a handle and shoulder strap. It contains spare picks for mandolin and guitar, spare tuners and batteries, spare preamp with batteries, a couple dynamic mics, assorted 1/4" and XLR cables and splitters and adapters, a flashlight, multi-bit screwdriver, leatherman, various adapters for cables, an AC extension cord, electrical tape and zip ties.

I never use some of this stuff - it's for the newbies/forgetful players and when gigging, contains the stuff that our main sound/equipment guy never thinks about.
Good den mother bag!

I also throw in a new set of strings, which I almost always have on hand. It's the one thing that I can do to virtually assure I won't break a string, although it's been years since I've had a string break.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I use a Mono Classic FlyBy backpack. It was a little pricey, but it doubles as a regular backpack when I don't gig.
While not hard, it is plenty protective and has a lot of padding (if you've used or seen a mono gigbag, its basically the same amount of padding/protection, but in a backpack).
Has a cable loop, deep pockets/storage, and a separate section to stow an ipad and laptop.
Had mine for roughly 8 years? And its held up quite well.

I think D'addario and Gruv Gear make similar products for less money.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:06 AM

I have what I call a gig bag. It is a long bag made to hold mic stands. It holds my mic, stand, chords and other stuff. I also have a tool bag that holds things like my tablet and mic stand attachment for the tablet. I use a Bose S1Pro PA Speaker and small stand. All of this fits inside a folding wagon, including my guitar. I tie it all in with a bungee cord.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:19 AM

Or try a soft insulated cooler or tote, like one of these: L.L. Bean
Old 03-21-2024, 10:21 AM

A backpack sort of bag is far superior to something you have to carry. Just strap it on and you still have two hands free for guitar and bag for mic stands, music stand, collapsing stool etc.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 03-21-2024, 10:56 AM

I use one of these: BlueBudgie Bag
Old 03-21-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
A backpack sort of bag is far superior to something you have to carry. Just strap it on and you still have two hands free for guitar and bag for mic stands, music stand, collapsing stool etc.
Except that the people with gig bags already have their guitar on their back.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

I recently found an amazing solution!

I have two of these I use for different purposes - one large and one small. They are hard sided plastic, waterproof cases with removable diced foam like a camera case. They are like the Pelican brand which costs HUNDREDS of dollars but these were like $40-60 and they shipped free express delivery. I was blown away at the great deal.

https://www.newark.com/multicomp-pro...s-orderack-GLB

This same delaer sells both original Pelicans and this competing brand for hundreds less. I used these at two gigs and they are *PERFECT* in every way

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-21-2024, 11:46 AM

Seems like just the thing for a decent messenger bag. Timbuk2 would likely have one that would do the job quite well.

Mark
Old 03-21-2024, 01:02 PM

Not the cheapest option, but the TENBA Cinema line is worth a look. Replica of an old doctor bag with dividers and the “mouth” stays wide open.
I realize I could be using a reusable grocery bag……
Old 03-21-2024, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Big canvas man purse. I think it is an old computer bag that my daughter actually sewed out of old canvas tent. It has two pockets in the front for the little stuff. A big flap over the top and a shoulder strap. It is very vintage looking. I'm kind of a make do type though. I'm sure there are better options for more money. Just wanted you to know that you're not the only one to use a canvas bag to haul you stuff around.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion