The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-18-2013, 11:41 PM

I love nylon strings, and I started out with classical guitar in music school when I was a kid. However, I don't think that you can cover everything with one guitar. I had certain phases in my life when I wanted to simplify everything, and to shorten the list of instrument that I use, but it doesn't work that way. The thing is that when you say nylon string guitar - you're talking about at least 3 types of guitars. And when you say steel string guitar - the diversity is even bigger. The style of playing steel strings and nylon strings differs so much, that I really believe that the only right thing is to treat them as entirely different instruments. To me it's like glockenspiel and marimba. Therefore I would never give up my steel string baby.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:37 AM

I pretty much agree with Kristijan above.

I would say Jeff play your guitars and see how it goes and above all don't make hasty moves like selling your guitars.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:35 AM

Agreed...and like I said, I'd never be able to forego steel completely--need it for teaching and some good paying gigs I get called for...but I'm thinking for my own music, nylon is the way to go...

Good to know there's other big nylon fans around here...

oh, and for the person who asked, I definitely mean nylon to incorporate all non steel guitars...I for one am no "purist."

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-19-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Good to know there's other big nylon fans around here...

oh, and for the person who asked, I definitely mean nylon to incorporate all non steel guitars...I for one am no "purist."
I've never tried one but do have the desire. Trouble is, I know little about them. That learning curve thingy... I seem to recall you're post reaguarding a Godin of some sort? Which nylon did you go with, Jeff?
Old 08-19-2013, 01:38 PM

Yeah, I ended up with a Godin Grand concert duet ambiance...I've had a nylon string guitar in one shape or form for over 20 years, the last ten with just a cheapie classical, which I like a lot...

I found myself gravitating more and more towards the sound of nylon, but I knew I didn't want a classical guitar...Like I said, I'm not purist--I olay with a combo of fingers and pick, and classical stuff is a very small portion of what I do...but I still like the "short neck/long scale feel" of a classical, and the wide nut/string spacing...the Godin had all that but was completely non traditional otherwise, which I liked...

Old 08-19-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I ended up with a Godin Grand concert duet ambiance......

Nice choice... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyfQzcR2ZSg
Old 08-19-2013, 06:48 PM

I've noticed that I play my classical guitar more since I sold my Taylor 410E...and I hardly miss it. Since the other guys at church all play 6-steel string guitars, my classical gives us a more interesting sound rather than everyone playing the same 6-steel-string guitars.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I ended up with a Godin Grand concert duet ambiance..
We d like to see you play that guitar Jeff
Seriously record something when you ll have free time.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 AM

I actually posted this a few weeks ago...gotta get a bit more electric signal in the next one...this guitar won't be hard to record audio with, but with just a webcam--tough...

anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9t3...e_gdata_player

Old 08-21-2013, 01:21 PM

Even though I have a very nice acoustic, I still find that the majority of my playing is done on a classical guitar.
It's just easier on the fingers and generally better for the songs I tend to play recently.

I wish I could play the steel string more, but there is not enough hours in the day
Old 08-21-2013, 01:32 PM

I got hooked on the classical sound after a Willie Nelson concert and bought a very used yamaha and put a pickup in it. Just love the warm sound and even exchanged my steel string to get a wider nut width so I can go back and forth between the two guitars easier. Hope to get better with the classical and get more greats sounds out of it.

I'm on the same mindset as franchelB with its future use.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:50 PM

Wow -- what a nice job restoring that old nylon classic! Beautiful indeed!

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 08-27-2013, 02:43 PM

Were I to make a choice of keeping only one guitar, it would be my Classical/flamenco/nylon string guitar.
Any style of music I enjoy is appropriate, of not sounding and played better, on a classical.

I play my classical more than any other..

Gypsy jazz, stride, rag, "folk" jazz, clasical, flamenco, Brazilian,Tango .. anything sounds great on a classical.

I will keep my Tele, archtop, flattops around but.. for me I am more an more gravitating toward nylon full time.

My 16 yr old granson has been visiting for a couple weeks. I have gifted him a few guitars over the last couple years to include a Tell Am Std, Godin 5th, and a Takamine 132 SC... he plays the Takamine more than anything else and his music tastes vary wildly. He is taking lessons. He was a viola player.. now reformed.

I'm with you Jeff on this shift toward nylon.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:44 PM

While I love listening to the sound of steel string acoustic I found myself gravitating to nylon from a playing standpoint, so all my steel string acoustics are now gone. I still do play electric though.

Part of my rationale with selling the acoustics rather than letting them sit in the closet is that -

A) I wasn't playing them enough to justify keeping my 814ce

B) there's more maintenance on acoustics than electrics. I already had 1 crack and 2 bridges lift on cheaper acoustics, even though they were humidified.

So now I have my 3 nylon strings and a bunch of electrics.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:29 PM

I spent decades (almost 5) bending blues notes on a floatilla of electric guitars. Then I found a Cervantes crossover with a K&K pickup. Now when I sneak past my guitar closet holding Mr. Cervantes, I can hear the grumbling of ignored electrics calling out my name.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical