The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-09-2009, 06:36 AM

Some beutiful guitars!

This is an early 60's Harmony . . . not much of a voice, but it's still pretty neat and in pretty good shape.

714ce
814c (Florentine cutaway, tobacco sunburst)
Big Baby
Larrivée L-05
Gibson J-55
Gibson S.J.
Guild D-55
Seagull Grand Artist (Rosewood Parlor)
Gold Tone PBR (maple deluxe resonator)
Regal RC-51 (tri-cone)
Fender F-48 (metal body resonator)
Cort Earth 900
A&L AMI
Ariana Classical
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Harmony archtop

Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat
Old 02-09-2009, 07:59 AM

Location: Though a bred, born, and imprinted Texan, I live in the sw corner of Southern Mississippi.

m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Some beutiful guitars!

This is an early 60's Harmony . . . not much of a voice, but it's still pretty neat and in pretty good shape.

Well-done...finally a work-a-day guitar instead of rare jewels. I have a couple of Harmonies, a Kay, and a new DeArmond.

I got a laugh out of hearing a really good jazz trio at the French Market in New Orleans a short while back. The leader was doing some great work on a beat-up Kay with one of the world's oldest pickups.

That ply guitar looked like junk but the neck had been reset and it was a cream puff to play. We talked a long time about his guitar and about other jazz guitarists in New Orleans.

I was surprised with what he did not know about the guitar, but then his attitude was, "Hey, Man! It isn't about the box...its about the music." <g>

Ken C.
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson J-50 Mahogany
G-40 Maccaferri arch top (3 ea.)
Kay Catalina arch top w/DeArmond floating p.u.
Harmony arch top
Silvertone (Kay) flat top
Framus 12-string
Harmony tenor arch top
Gakki Yamaha FG-140
DeArmond arch top
And 14 misc.ukes.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:18 AM

Hi Larry Pattis......not bad Woolson guitars yourself. Very nice work. Love his design, especially the fret work around the soundhole...very unique. I am also very fond of the smaller size body guitars....Jumbo Parlor.....kind of like "jumbo shrimp" nice juxtaposition......

I'm also a fan of those old Kay's, it's all about the sound.....
Old 02-09-2009, 11:37 AM

Thought I'd share some pics of my 1933 Martin R-18 (00-018 body size) This guitar has a flat back like an 00-18, but an arched top made with solid spruce "bent" over curved braces. (Incidentally, Stephen Holst did some neck repairs on this one also)

Old 02-09-2009, 06:58 PM

Old 02-09-2009, 08:55 PM

Ok Roadrunner, what is it, other than drop dead gorgeous. Wow I like the accents, color, beautiful!
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 02-09-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
Ok Roadrunner, what is it, other than drop dead gorgeous. Wow I like the accents, color, beautiful!
Thanks Michael,
It is a "Kim Walker Cremona"

Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 PM

Nice Martin, Nice Walker. Swing Nation Baby!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:33 PM

Question

For the guys that got Holst guitars - I've seen around the net that he's great to work with. Did he finish your guitar in the amount of time he estimated? How did he keep you informed about the progress of your instrument?

Unfortunately he no longer provides in-progress images. Did he just contact you one day and say "it's ready"?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:14 PM

Stephen Holst gave me a lot of in progress pics in emails, AND at the end of the project gave me a chronology of pics on a CD. It was great watching the progress, and I believe he will do this for you, but you can always ask him via EMAIL, if you contact him.

By the way, that Walker is a beaut!!!

I never thought that when I started this thread, that I would get GAS again...lol
Old 02-10-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreux77 View Post
For the guys that got Holst guitars - I've seen around the net that he's great to work with. Did he finish your guitar in the amount of time he estimated? How did he keep you informed about the progress of your instrument?

Unfortunately he no longer provides in-progress images. Did he just contact you one day and say "it's ready"?
My experience was the same as Blue Wily Fox...periodic e-mail updates with photos and a nice CD of photographs at the end.

Steve sent out mock ups of neck shapes carved out of pine to confirm what exact shape I was looking for or expecting. I suspect other builders do that too.

Steve was very helpful in explaining bracing, materials, body depth, construction, etc. and its affect on tone, structural integrity and playability. I think this one of the key reasons to select any good builder...as they can really help you to zero in on a design that will fit your style of play.

My guitar took longer than his original quote. Honestly, I went into this with the assumption that a one person shop does not necessary follow a standard production schedule. My expectation was that the guitar would be finished when it was finished...and it was. My feeling is, if I need a guitar in a short amount of time, I might be better off going to a bigger shop or buying one off-the-shelf. But, if I want to go to a one person shop, I expect to deal with a more fluid time line.

My experience with Steve was great but if I ever get the hankerin' (and bread) to buy another custom guitar, I'd probably order from someone else. Don't get me wrong...Steve is a GREAT guy and I would have no problem recommending him to anyone; nor would I have a problem ordering another one of his guitars. What I mean is, there seem to be a lot of great builders out there and I'd probably like to have a similar, pleasant experience working with yet another great and creative person.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
Thanks Michael,
It is a "Kim Walker Cremona"

Pure class -- all the way. The man is a true artist. You are very fortunate to have such a lovely piece.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-wily-fox View Post
Stephen Holst gave me a lot of in progress pics in emails, AND at the end of the project gave me a chronology of pics on a CD. It was great watching the progress, and I believe he will do this for you, but you can always ask him via EMAIL, if you contact him.

By the way, that Walker is a beaut!!!

I never thought that when I started this thread, that I would get GAS again...lol
See what you started , I am usually content with my 6 & 12 handy to quell the urges. But, I haven't played an archtop that I can remember. This thread had me googleing for an hour, even got a few addy's to visit. Thankfully, these are not hanging on a bunch of walls around my usual haunts, or at least I haven't noticed them.

A curiosity to be sure, just gotta remember to leave the check book at home for a while when I'm out and about. Sure are nice looking instruments folks.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 02-10-2009, 06:54 AM

Beautiful guitars!!
'08 Martin HD28
Old 02-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Last I heard Kim Walker has an 8 year wait for new instruments. At that rate, you could probably save the money while the guitar is being built. Get a paper route or start a dog walking service in your' spare time.

Beautiful guitars gents. I'd love to add a carve-top to the quiver. I love the 16" Collings non-cut archtops. A 17" non-cut would be even better.

drive-south

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops