The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossw View Post
It took me a long time to realize it, but I'm in love with an Archtop. I recently bought an Eastman 605ce from a member of AGF and can't put it down. It's everything I want in a guitar as is sounds great acoustically as well as plugged it.
Honestly, you got spoiled by the Eastman because you are going to have to spend more to to get incremental improvements in sound. The Eastmans are carved fairly thin so they sound very open. Under $10k you can have your pick of nearly any top maker in the US, but keep in mind it may not be $X000 better than the Eastman.

Since you are in New York you need to go to Golden Age, Guitars N' Jazz (both in NJ, 35 minutes by train from Manhattan), Mandolin Bros, and Rudy's in Soho. You absolutely need to play a bunch of guitars. They are so different between makers and even the same model guitar from a maker will sound different. 30 minutes in Golden Age will inform your decision more than anything else. Things that seemed like a good fit based on advice and specs, weren't great when i played them for real. Just because something is vintage, or expensive, doesn't mean that it isn't a dog. (I know i'm repeating much of Roger's sentiment, but it is important)

If you are looking for names, i think Campellone, and American Archtop (Dale Unger) are consistently impressive, and incredibly affordable. Those guys are pretty far out in front of the pack (that I've played). Andersen (Steve) has caught my attention recently as having passionate fans and very few used on the market--that is always a good sign. I've never played one but i think it is similar to Campellone: incredible guitars priced for mortals. So that is my list: American Archtop; Campellone; Andersen. Too bad it wasn't Benedetto or Buscarino so i could say ABC. AAC? As in "AAC! Did i just spend that much money?"

Older Epiphones and Gibsons can sound good but often need work (hello neck reset and refret!) or could have other problems lurking. You are also fighting with collectors over the piece. I say skip vintage. Every 2nd luthier makes Gibson acoustic archtop copies that are cheaper, and better made.

It's a fun journey. Good luck with it!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:55 PM

CB Hill in La Brea California builds an incredible acoustic archtop that sounds wonderful for anything from finger style to straight ahead jazz. A totally under-the-radar archtop luthier, trained in a violin and cello tradition, that is at the pinnacle of the craft.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:35 PM

Steve Marchione.

http://www.marchione.com/instruments...archtop-guitar
Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 AM

Last edited by slinco; 08-02-2012 at 11:52 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops