The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

After owning over a dozen RainSongs, I'm currently without one. My only complaint about RainSongs is that the company's construction process results in a slightly sunken-top that I feel detracts cosmetically from their guitars' looks. My next carbon guitar will likely be an Emerald X20 in Emerald Green. I've never played an Emerald but from reports on AGF, they're well-constructed (with a plus in my book of having slightly convex-radius top), and sound excellent.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-20-2018, 10:49 AM

SpruceTop, this sounds unusual. My 2001 Rainsong WS-1000 (and similar vintage ones that my friends play) do not have perceptibly sunken tops. Nor have I never noticed concave or sunken tops on any RS I've played in stores either.

I have been very happy with my recent X20-12 Artisan acquisition in green, so if you want to go that way it is a winner too.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
SpruceTop, this sounds unusual. My 2001 Rainsong WS-1000 (and similar vintage ones that my friends play) do not have perceptibly sunken tops. Nor have I never noticed concave or sunken tops on any RS I've played in stores either..
Unusual indeed, Earl. I've handled a thousand plus Rainsongs over the years dating back to the early production, and I have never noticed any such issues. No guitar top is 100% flat, but compared to my 10K Martin D-45V, the tops on my Rainsongs are as flat as a marble kitchen counter top.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Hopefully the Hanger has a APSE model. I think that’s the best guitar Rainsong makes. Sounds incredible and you get a lot for the money.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
SpruceTop, this sounds unusual. My 2001 Rainsong WS-1000 (and similar vintage ones that my friends play) do not have perceptibly sunken tops. Nor have I never noticed concave or sunken tops on any RS I've played in stores either.

I have been very happy with my recent X20-12 Artisan acquisition in green, so if you want to go that way it is a winner too.
Not unusual, as every RainSong I've owned or ever seen has a bit of a sunken top. I've contacted RainSong about this and they said they'd look into it. *All you have to do is hold a RainSong sideways and sight across the top and you'll see the concave property I'm talking about, with the Unidirectional tops displaying it the most. At very best, a RainSong top will be almost flat across the top. Thanks for the Emerald thumbs-up!

*This concaveness or dishing of the guitar's top is likely why RainSong uses a 16-inch radius bridge-saddle in conjunction with their 20-inch radius fingerboard. I've brought up this slight concave property on AGF for years. Please understand that I'm likely the original RainSong fan boy on the now defunct MacNichol Carbon Guitar Forum, where I posted under the moniker RainDance. I have high respect for RainSong guitars and I'm not trying to mislead but only inform.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-20-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Hopefully the Hanger has a APSE model. I think that’s the best guitar Rainsong makes. Sounds incredible and you get a lot for the money.
Actually that same guitar can essentially be had for about $500 less in a rainsong concert series OM. The apse and the OM are identical from a construction standpoint as the concert series om can be ordered in a 12 fret design. No differences between the two models affect the tone.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Trying some Rainsong carbon guitars tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Actually that same guitar can essentially be had for about $500 less in a rainsong concert series OM. The apse and the OM are identical from a construction standpoint as the concert series om can be ordered in a 12 fret design. No differences between the two models affect the tone.

You are correct. I almost ordered one like that from ted a couple months ago. Personally I like the orange sunburst, no shark inlays, the lr baggs anthem pickup, and the upgraded 1:21 Gotoh tuners. I think that’s a tremendous amount of upgrades for the 500 addition. I also prefer the satin finish on the neck and top of the APSE. Even Al P says he thinks it sounds better than a full gloss model. You cannot get that finish unless you get the APSE.

Darn it! Now I want one!
Old 01-20-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
...Even Al P says he thinks it sounds better than a full gloss model.

Darn it! Now I want one!
who is Al And what does he know about guitars??

I agree in some respects. I like the more understated look without the shark inlays, and like you, I like the satin finish. However, I personally do not like the burst, preferring the black carbon fiber look. I have a Shorty with upgraded Gotoh 510 tuners in cosmic black and a K&K. The guitar looks and sounds amazing. I fell in love with the Shorty from first strum.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

The shorty is truly an amazing guitar. Look up Al Pettaway on the web.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:36 AM

Go big, or go home as they say. Cast a large shadow!
Jumbo or dred would be my recommendation. Warm, Powerful, Pleasant to the ear!
Enjoy the search!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber