The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Hi Enthusiast,

I also have an 814. It truly is a great guitar. Many consider it to be the "Swiss Army Knife" of guitars, in that it does everything well. Would I take it to college? Well, I started college before Taylor started building guitars. But, an ES-335 fed me while in college; and was joined later by a Gibson Gospel. So, a decent guitar can survive college... depending on who you associate with. And how careful you are.

I'd consider something less expensive, if it were me... and, it's not.

Good luck with the decisions.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Having just gotten my Rainsong back from a setup, I would absolutely suggest you find one and try it. I have a H-1000N2 and am loving it. For me, this would be a great college guitar. It sounds great, looks different, though traditional in shape, is very light, and is durable. Seriously excellent combination. I think girls would like the look and would ask about it...

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-04-2014, 10:30 AM

I own a CA GX and a couple R Taylor guitars. One thing to mention (in case it wasn't on page two and I missed it) is that yes, the CF guitars will stand up to more abuse with regards to humidity and water and stuff. But if some drunk steps on it I'm not sure it is any more resistant to damage than a regular guitar. So keep that in mind. it isn't bullet proof.

On tone, well, I find the carbon fiber guitars have a less sparkly sound to them. I am comparing this one guitar against several higher end wood guitars so keep that in mind. Overall I can accept the sound of the CF guitar I just know I like my McPhersons better. Heck, I like my used Yamaha L20A better.

Amplified now we are talking. The GX is as good as any guitar I have through the Bose L1 Model II. Maybe not but it is great and who cares? I love it and battery changes are easy and controls are great. Everything about it is great.

I think the CA will likely stand up better in college life but long term you will end up buying a wood guitar some day if you stick with it. Still always nice to have one you aren't afraid to take to a picnic or open mic surrounded by drunks.

Mine is possibly going to Thailand to live. I have a second home there and bought it for that reason. The home is not air conditioned when I am away which is for months at a time. So the guitars there are subjected to 90 degrees 80 % humidity. I have a Santa Cruz there which has done OK so far but....
Old 03-05-2015, 09:04 PM

So I realized I never concluded this thread. I ended up going with the 814ce and I haven't looked back. It sounds amazing both acoustic and plugged in (ES2 is so nice) and it gets attention every time I pull it out of the case.

I seriously thought hard about the college life and if I wanted to put such a nice guitar through that but ultimately decided that I could take good care of it. Now several months into college, my "gamble" has worked out. The Planet Waves Humidity packets seem to be doing a really good job keeping the guitar at a proper humidity and the dorm temps are quite nice. It's as healthy as a guitar can be here in cold Minnesota.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on your Taylor 814ce ES2! A great guitar you'll treasure for many years to come!

After graduating and getting a job, I suggest getting yourself a good carbon guitar as a companion for your Taylor and enjoy it for the difference in tone and for its maintenance-free characteristics, especially for travel.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
Thanks everyone for the opinions. I agree taking the 814 to college would be a little scary but I'm hoping to have this guitar for a long time and want to do it right. I'll be auditioning the 814 this week and possibly a CA guitar. However, it's a pretty long trek to a Rain song dealer and I haven't looked into them much. I actually really like to look of the CAs, especially the GXi.
Has anyone tried the GXi vs the GX? I've heard the GXi is supposed to be "bassier,"
I own one of each GX & GXi. The difference is really very little but a slight edge to the GXi in conceived bass amount. I think it has a lot do with placement of the Sound hole as well as closer proximity to the player's ears.

I love both of mine and keep them in different tunings. For me it's a toss up and don't really think one is better than the other just different.

Rainsong is also a great choice and I think they more to offer now than ever in their lineup. I went with the CA's as I could get the built in Fishman Aura system in them which I really love to gig with.

No bad choice here. Going and playing them will be of great help.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 03-06-2015, 04:54 PM

Which guitar you get will shape what you do with it. You may still want to get something small and durable (i.e. Cargo) or an old Ibanez beater for those nights when you are sitting in line waiting to get good seat for the game or for the concert of the day in the snow or rain. I certainly would think twice about putting an 814 in those type of environments, but yet I would like to have a guitar there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber