The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-16-2015, 04:05 PM

Default "Talkin' Goin' To Alaska Blues" (Shawn Mullins cover)

From Shawn Mullins' 9th Ward Picking Parlor album a few years back. I don't own a banjo, so the Strat had to fill in. Tried my best Mark Knopfler and SRV homages. Other guitars were an HD-28 and Fender AmSt Jazz bass. Although it's low in the mix, I think I may have had the most fun with the bass track.

As always, comments and suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance for listening!

Last edited by Sombras; 02-17-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:04 AM

that was really good. i liked the song, the acoustic guitar playing, your singing and the mix. the layering was nice, and the strat fills were tasteful. i might have had a cleaner strat sound a little lower in the mix, and a final "thunk" to end the song, but that's nit-picking. super job.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:41 PM

Thanks, mc, for the feedback. Indeed, the lead was hot in the mix! I struggled to find a sweet spot for it what with all the other tracks. It was either too quiet or way too strong. I ended up opting for somewhat-too-strong. I think also I just had a bunch of dumb fun copping Knopfler riffs. The bass was also a wad of fun since I had given myself the challenge of finger-playing and not using a pick.

Thanks also for just listening to the song. I thought this post would die a miserable unnoticed death. Good to know someone clicked on it!

Last edited by Sombras; 03-04-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:11 PM

Hi @Sombras ... I haven't noticed this song, it was great that mc clicked on it and keep it alive because it is real good, very nice stuff. I like it very much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell