The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-18-2014, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

I've got three Gibson Les Paul's, but I've played and enjoyed some of the Epiphone models. Nice and can be really good. No hesitation if I were in the market for another LP.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
I've got three Gibson Les Paul's, but I've played and enjoyed some of the Epiphone models. Nice and can be really good. No hesitation if I were in the market for another LP.
Same here. I have two Gibson Les Pauls and a single Epiphone Les Paul - the Slash model. I bought the Epi used not because of Slash's name but because it has a pair of Seymor Duncan Alnico Pro II pickups in them. It's a great playing, and sounding guitar.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut View Post
Anybody have any thoughts? If someone wanted a Les Paul but couldn't afford a Gibson is an Epiphone a decent alternative? And I guess a big question is how can Gibson allow Les Paul's name to be used on the Epiphone's?
This is all very confusing to me.
As far as the price point. I've played Epiphone Les Pauls that I like better than some Gibson Les Paul Studios. With less expensive guitars I think it's more important to play a lot of them. There are some gems among them. I know there are with Squire Strats in the 90's. I have a Squire that I'll put up against any MIM Strat. If you like the way it plays and sounds. Who cares what it says on the headstock. Especially if you are new. As time goes on you may discover that you prefer a totally different guitar. That's what happened to me anyway.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:57 PM

One observation I would like to make:

I owned an Epi Les Paul for a short while (returned it under the 45-day policy). It was a nice guitar in many respects. The one thing it had going on which I found bothersome was the weight. It was a lot lighter than a Gibson Les Paul. While some find Gibson LPs to be too heavy, that weight -- at least for me -- kept the Gibson guitar at a proper playing angle when worn with a strap (playing standing up). With the Epiphone LP, the light weight rendered the guitar head-heavy (like a Gibson SG), and I found the headstock of the guitar was always pulling/moving downward. That bothered me significantly, but it was the only demerit I found with the guitar.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post

I owned an Epi Les Paul for a short while (returned it under the 45-day policy). It was a nice guitar in many respects. The one thing it had going on which I found bothersome was the weight. It was a lot lighter than a Gibson Les Paul. While some find Gibson LPs to be too heavy, that weight -- at least for me -- kept the Gibson guitar at a proper playing angle when worn with a strap (playing standing up). With the Epiphone LP, the light weight rendered the guitar head-heavy (like a Gibson SG), and I found the headstock of the guitar was always pulling/moving downward. That bothered me significantly, but it was the only demerit I found with the guitar.
Couldn't you have added weight to the body?
Old 08-20-2014, 01:19 AM

The high-end Epi's can and do rival the economy and mid-grade Gibsons. I'm a huge fan of Epiphone's 1960 Tribute. Gibson USA Classic 57 pickups, Grover locking tuners, mahogany body with a maple cap.

http://www.epiphone.com/News-Feature...-It-Gets-.aspx

They play well and sound great. No, it's not as "good" as a $2500 Gibson Traditional, but in the hands of the right player, it will sound just as good.

I own a Gibson Traditional as well as two Epiphone Tributes. I got my Gibson first, but if I had gotten the Tributes first, I probably would not have bought the Gibson.

The fit and finish is much nicer on the Gibson, but it's not $2000 nicer. The sound and feel of the Tribute and the Traditional are very close. Makes sense since they use the same pickups.

Even though I already have two Tributes, I still keep my eyes open for them on Craigslist. They turn up occasionally in the $350-400 range. Quite possibly the best value in a Les Paul ever, especially on the used market.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Couldn't you have added weight to the body?
I don't know....maybe....I was not deeply committed to that particular guitar, and I decided not to keep it, but there was nothing mechanically *wrong* with it. I do find the headstock-heavy scenario to be something that bothers me, but others are not as concerned about it.

How would one add weight to a guitar body?
Old 08-20-2014, 09:12 AM

Here's one way:

Old 08-22-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
if Epiphone is the economy brand, why do they sell a cheaper Gibson Les Paul special or junior or Jr?

The Gibson Les Paul Specials are truly that. I had a Les Paul Special Double Cutaway that was an incredible playing and sounding instrument. It wasn't a cheapie by any stretch.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:04 AM

About a year ago I decided to give the electric guitar a try, I bought an Epi LP Traditional Pro. At first I couldn't warm up to playing it. I was playing it through a mixer and a pedal board I use for my acoustics, with all the effects I had I could not find a sound that warmed me. I bought a used hybrid tube amp, still did nothing for me. I put the LP in a guitar case and set it away.

A couple months ago I purchased an acoustic amp (Genz Benz Shenandoah 85) for playing out with my acoustics. About a week or two ago I plugged the LP into the acoustic amp and I was surprised at the tone, it was exactly what I was looking for. I've been playing the heck out the LP, I've composed a new song with it that's different from anything I've done on an acoustic and I've been playing leads (scales) over looped acoustic pieces. It's been a lot of fun. Gibson or Epiphone, up to this point I would have travel the same path.

The guitar plays smooth, it doesn't stay in tune as well as I would like and if I press down on the string with the force that I use on an acoustic it's intonation is off, it takes a light touch.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

Last edited by Irish Pennant; 08-23-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
What would be wrong with leaving it as is and playing it?
Nothing at all in point of fact the middle and top price range Epi Les Pauls come with Gibson pickups and good quality hardware. It's tough to beat an Epi Les Paul when it comes to how much guitar you get for the money.
Strictly my and others opinion. Ymmv

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 08-23-2014, 06:15 PM

The Epiphone Les Paul Tribute plus is an outstanding version of the guitar. for about 700 dollars w/ case its a steal.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:26 AM

I had an LP-100 years ago back in '02. It was an awesome guitar for the money and a good guitar for the price. In fact, I'm thinking about getting into another Epi LP. Looking used this time, though.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:21 PM

Love Mine!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post

The weight of modern LP's are not as heavy as the old ones and they vary a lot. I really don't know why except to hypothesize that the older growth mahogany which is not as available any more was heavier. One of the heaviest LP's I've ever played is a friend of mine's '73. I don't know how he slings that thing over his shoulder for a two hour gig.

Who knows maybe they secretly embedded led pellets into it untill there was a ban on all things lead

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars