The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-10-2014, 07:02 AM

Default Solid maple electric guitar?

Hey everyone. I was watching some shows on "Rig Rundown" (thanks to Desolation Angel for his thread) and came across Scott Ian of Anthrax. He was going through his guitars, picked one up and commented how heavy it was - it's an all maple body electric guitar. I think he mentioned he only uses it for a song or two.

I don't think there are too many maple bodies out there? Wouldn't that make for a bright guitar?
Old 08-10-2014, 07:12 AM

I have a maple body Warrior Experience. It is a very bright guitar. In fact, I was thinking about selling it until I found the right amp for it (an amp a friend of mine built for me - a 1x12 combo tube amp). The combination of that amp and the maple guitar are great for the type of gig I played Friday night (it was a night club gig). I don't think I'd use it for a country or rock gig. I tried playing it thru a Dr Z Stang Ray and an old Bassman and it just didn't work because it was too bright. I will say that using a Line6 M13 with this guitar & 1x12 amp allowed me to nail the Allman Brothers slide tone at a gig last month.

I posted a picture of the guitar in this thread http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=352432
Old 08-10-2014, 07:23 AM

Some of George Lynch's guitars are all maple bodies. He uses very high output pickups, so the wood timbre might not be as obvious. He's also a body builder and might not care a lot about weight.

I've played a few solid maple guitars and found them bright and heavy. Not my thing.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I have a maple body Warrior Experience. It is a very bright guitar. In fact, I was thinking about selling it until I found the right amp for it (an amp a friend of mine built for me - a 1x12 combo tube amp). The combination of that amp and the maple guitar are great for the type of gig I played Friday night (it was a night club gig). I don't think I'd use it for a country or rock gig. I tried playing it thru a Dr Z Stang Ray and an old Bassman and it just didn't work because it was too bright. I will say that using a Line6 M13 with this guitar & 1x12 amp allowed me to nail the Allman Brothers slide tone at a gig last month.

I posted a picture of the guitar in this thread http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=352432
I read your thread - I didn't realize it was a maple guitar. What pickups do you have in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Some of George Lynch's guitars are all maple bodies. He uses very high output pickups, so the wood timbre might not be as obvious. He's also a body builder and might not care a lot about weight.

I've played a few solid maple guitars and found them bright and heavy. Not my thing.
I didn't realize Lynch had some maple guitars. I do know that he uses (or used to use) Seymour Duncan Screaming Demon pickups, which were developed for him. They're a bright pickup ... I'm guessing he doesn't use them in his maple guitars.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I play a Carvin TL60T that has neck-through body construction and has a maple neck/body center section with alder wings. It is fairly light and features a bright sound that offers excellent individual-string definition.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-10-2014, 09:20 AM

In the mid-70s, Jerry Garcia used to play an all maple-bodied guitar before he switched to the cocobolo/rosewood models he used from then up until his death.
Those were heavy monsters, weighing in at about 10 lbs. or more.
I remember when Gibson was making its L-5S model in the 70s. That, too, was one heavy and very bright sounding guitar.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:32 AM

I'm not sure. About 6 strings but in the late 70's/early 80's I had a solid maple Gibson Grabber bass. Not too bright, no dead spots, and a wonderful neck.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I play a Carvin TL60T that has neck-through body construction and has a maple neck/body center section with alder wings. It is fairly light and features a bright sound that offers excellent individual-string definition.

Bob
Hi Bob, I too have a maple neck-thru guitar (actually it's maple with some walnut), it's a Schecter C1 Classic, and it has mahogany wings. It too is light compared to my Les Pauls.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I didn't realize Lynch had some maple guitars. I do know that he uses (or used to use) Seymour Duncan Screaming Demon pickups, which were developed for him. They're a bright pickup ... I'm guessing he doesn't use them in his maple guitars.
Maple+Screaming Demon.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Maple+Screaming Demon.
That's interesting. I just read that he likes the screaming demon because it's a moderate output pickup (not high output) and is expressive.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I read your thread - I didn't realize it was a maple guitar. What pickups do you have in it?
Joe Bardens
Old 08-10-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
That's interesting. I just read that he likes the screaming demon because it's a moderate output pickup (not high output) and is expressive.
All relative, although it's hard to have something expressive/dynamic when the gain is cranked so hard.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:43 AM

I have four maple-bodied strat guitars (all figured maple), and I don't really notice them being that much brighter than other strats. Maybe I just haven't played them loud enough to tell, or perhaps figured maple isn't as hard as the plain type....
Old 08-10-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
I have four maple-bodied strat guitars (all figured maple), and I don't really notice them being that much brighter than other strats. Maybe I just haven't played them loud enough to tell, or perhaps figured maple isn't as hard as the plain type....
Figured maple tends to be a little lese dense. Canadian rock maple is dense and western soft maple is less dense. If it's not horribly heavy, it's probably western soft. The less dense maple isn't nearly as bright.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:05 AM

Rickenbackers are all maple (most of them, anyway) and are not heavy at all, except perhaps the 381.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars