The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-04-2014, 08:29 AM

Default Give me some advice on a Tele and my semi-hollow

Okay, I've recently discovered open G tuning and all of the wonderful Stones songs that Keef plays in open G.

This has me gassing for a Tele. Possibly as a replacement for my semi-hollow Ibanez. And not just because of Keef. They smaller radius fretboard of the Tele seems easier to play.

Financially, it would be a 1-for-1. The Ibanez goes, and a Squier replaces it. Our finances and my wife (not the wife!) demand it.

The question is, do I want a Tele for my only electric? Are the Squier Teles on par quality-wise with the Ibanez Artcores (which are quite good)?

I run my electric through a modeling amp (Fender Mustang with Fuse software), so I'm not worried about the tone so much or that Tele "twang." In fact, the twang is not desirable for the most part, as I also might want to bust out a Pearl Jam riff, or something you wouldn't associate with Tele tone. The Ibanez is pretty versatile in this regard.

I'm also wondering if the shorter frets on the Tele might increase playability, too. The Ibanez has true medium frets and I think the Squier Teles have smaller frets.

Lastly, I wonder about the electronics and overall build quality of the Squier Teles. My Squier bass is just fine so far (3 mo.), but my Ibanez has been problem-free, living in an often damp basement, for over two years.

Really lastly, how bad is single-coil hum? I get hum from my computer on my single-coil Squier jazz bass (I often have a tab or video open), and I'm pretty sure I would from the Tele, too. That would drive me nuts. I tolerate it on the jazz bass, because, hey, it's a jazz bass, I don't play it all the time, and you can roll back the tone knob. (Yeah, I could shield it. One of those get around to it projects.)

Thanks for reading all this. Thoughts? Again, the question: Squier Tele as my only electric, or keep the Ibanez semi-hollow?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:57 AM

If you can trade across to a used Classic Vibe Tele, they are very good. Equal to or better than my MIM Standard in build and sound, IMO.

As far as single coil hum, it doesn't bother me most of the time. I can't hear it over the actual signal from the guitar when I'm playing. Frankly, the tubes in my amp make more noise than my Tele picks up. If you really like the guitar but hate the hum, there are noiseless pickups (basically mini stacked humbuckers) available for a later upgrade.

As to whether you'll like it? That's tough. If you can spend some serious time trying one out through your rig before committing, I would recommend it. I like both styles of guitar a lot, and would be hard pressed to have to commit to one over the other.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 08-04-2014, 08:58 AM

Check out a used squire classic vibe tele

They used to be cheap brand new but they were so popular they hiked the prices!! They get rave reviews though!!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:26 AM

Default Classic vibe

I just traded my $400.00 Classic Vibe in Sunburst (bought June 2013) to Guitar Center and all it was worth was a $150.00 trade on a new American Strat. It was a really nice guitar and with no more experience than I have I can't tell a difference in quality but I do like the neck on my Strat and the comfort of holding it more than the Tele. I can also turn the "twang" off on the Strat, I couldn't do that on the Tele very well, it seemed that it was always there.
Hagstrom Swede
Fender Amer Strat-Honeyburst
Epiphone Pro ES 339
Old 08-04-2014, 04:57 PM

usually, you can turn your guitar or bass at a different angle and the hum thru your computer goes away. at least it works with my strat, tele, pbass and jbass.

you may want to think about a strat if you are worried about too much tele twang. that is what they are known for. the strat will give a multitude of sounds.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 AM

I tried a couple of Teles at the local store last night and liked them both. Tried to trade in my Ibanez but they couldn't offer me enough because they said they had too many semi-hollows in stock, so I ordered a Squier Standard Tele in vintage blond from Elderly. (Sorry, local store. I tried. )

I chose Elderly because they offer free shipping and I feel certain that it will arrive in good shape and set up well. I'll sell my Ibanez on eBay. It's a great guitar, but it just wasn't doing it for me any longer.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
...The question is, do I want a Tele for my only electric?...I'm not worried about the tone so much or that Tele "twang." In fact, the twang is not desirable for the most part...The Ibanez is pretty versatile in this regard....my Ibanez has been problem-free, living in an often damp basement, for over two years...I get hum from my computer on my single-coil Squier jazz bass...I'm pretty sure I would from the Tele, too. That would drive me nuts...Again, the question: Squier Tele as my only electric, or keep the Ibanez semi-hollow?
The Tele "twang" is not desirable, the Ibanez is versatile and trouble-free even after two years in a damp basement, and single-coil hum would drive you nuts - I understand GAS as well as anybody (I've owned over 60 guitars during my lifetime) but I'm clearly missing something here ; that Ibanez sounds like a keeper if there ever was one - I would've held out and saved up for the Tele...
Old 08-05-2014, 11:15 AM

Oops, I misread
Old 08-05-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The Tele "twang" is not desirable, the Ibanez is versatile and trouble-free even after two years in a damp basement, and single-coil hum would drive you nuts - I understand GAS as well as anybody (I've owned over 60 guitars during my lifetime) but I'm clearly missing something here ; that Ibanez sounds like a keeper if there ever was one - I would've held out and saved up for the Tele...
Since when did GAS have to make sense?

When I was at the store last night, I realized when I played the Tele that I preferred the neck and size. And I played it through the same amp I own, with no hum.

So, yes, the Ibby is a keeper, but I won't play it and the Tele both. Too many guitars and not enough Dave. As it is, my bass is languishing. So, someone is going to be the (hopefully) happy owner of a very nice Ibby semi-hollow, as I have been for two years until my tastes changed.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Since when did GAS have to make sense? ...Too many guitars and not enough Dave....
Sounds like a contradiction to me...
Old 08-05-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a contradiction to me...
I don't know what you mean, but maybe you should move on...
Old 08-05-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I don't know what you mean, but maybe you should move on...
GAS = more guitars than you need and/or have time to play...

No offense intended...
Old 08-05-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
GAS = more guitars than you need and/or have time to play...

No offense intended...
My bad. I'm a little slow on the uptake.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I tried a couple of Teles at the local store last night and liked them both. Tried to trade in my Ibanez but they couldn't offer me enough because they said they had too many semi-hollows in stock, so I ordered a Squier Standard Tele in vintage blond from Elderly. (Sorry, local store. I tried. )

I chose Elderly because they offer free shipping and I feel certain that it will arrive in good shape and set up well. I'll sell my Ibanez on eBay. It's a great guitar, but it just wasn't doing it for me any longer.
You will love this guitar. The Telecaster forum is where you might want to spend some time. They only talk Tele. As for Pearl Jam, yeh, Tele will rock that. Tele is full midrange not the separation and wailing David Gilmour Strat sound, more of a Pretenders chug, Chrissy plays a Tele. Tele can do punk well and of course, Jazz at its finest. Early Zeppelin had some Tele on it, a couple of their signature riffs.
Funk and blues are really at home on the Tele as well, I see a lot of Teles in funk and pop lineups to give that nice funk pop. I use my Strat for hard rock if I want more of a Van Halen sound or that classic 70s sound of Joe Walsh, Dicky Betts, or Al Di Meola. I use the Tele for alt rock and country. Tele can take you way out there to alt country. And you might even begin to like twang...country lead guitar is the hardest dang thing I have learned, really a workout and the Tele is made for country.

Here is some good rockin Tele

Last edited by Davis Webb; 08-05-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:46 AM

You could always just throw some Filtertron style pickups in your Ibanez. The tone of my Lollartrons seems to be about like a Tele, but with hum bucker volume.

One thing with a lower radius is that it may seem more comfortable, but you'll have to raise the action to avoid notes choking out. No biggie if you play mostly in the lower register. You may notice in the upper register if you play a lot of leads.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars