The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 06-01-2010, 07:51 PM

Old 06-02-2010, 07:54 PM

Old 06-02-2010, 08:56 PM

Lovely teardrop archtop taking shape there! Are you aiming for an unplugged sound like the original, or more of a contemporary acoustic/archtop sond?

The faceted archtop still looks as cutting edge as the first time I saw you post it on the web!

Thanks for sharing pictures of your collection with us.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:17 PM

Here are some info on this marvelous project and guitar in the making with info gathered from my exchanges with Tom Ribbecke...

This is an extract from one of his emails when he was telling me about his vision...

«This instrument is really about my deep respect for the makers who have done a teardrop, no disrespect of any kind to these remarkable inspirational builders , all of whose work inspires and instructs me whenever I see it. It is also an homage to the future and an interpretation that works well with the Halfling design, as it gives me more bass area of the soundboard, so elongating the scale legnth is a natural evolution of this opportunity.

The ergonomics are also an unexpected result but there is a built in armrest effect. Also the wood choice is very old material from the cello world, but has figure and the sort of pitch marks that are more typical in the cello/violin world. This reflects the guitar builder of today working with an imperative to choose materials with "mojo" over visually clear material with lesser inherent tone.

As for the team working on this instrument, he adds...

« For the sake of clarity, I have a private practice where my very high end instruments are made with a much higher concentration materials and my hands, and here we make all kinds of custom order Archtop (including versions of the Halfling, which is an archtop instrument), acoustic-electric and custom instruments.

The Ribbecke Guitar Corporation is the production arm located three miles away you can see the shops at www.guitarplanet.org
The production guys are all fine craftsmen and women and these are very fine instruments, we chose to make them in America using primarily hand techniques (almost everything is done in the shop) and as a result they are expensive in their own right. and these folks have all worked under my direct supervision.

The Halfling is one voice of the archtop guitar, I understand this is not for everyone! I appreciate the fact that people are open to new processes! It simply provides a voice for folks who want an archtop guitars seperation and clarity with a more steel string like bass fullness, and the feedback resistant design of the Halfling,

So many players of today unlike 30 years ago now bring great Steel string and archtop repetoires together in there music that this was designed with this in mind.

Your instrument is the product of both shops...and the body was made by me, the neck by RGC, the color will be shot by me, all the final detail (sanding of finish polishing of parts etc..) will be done by both, and in this way I am able to control the cost of an extraordinary project like this.... »

The specs:

The body is based on a 17" guitar size and the reverse teardrop allows for maximized bass rsponsealso contributing to a fatter treble respone

Body depth is 3 1/4" scale is treble side 25" bass side 26 3/4" overall body length is 24"

This instrument is a homage to the future, in the fine tradition of D'Angelico, D'Aquisto and Monteleone, and their incredible work, but this one reverses the location of the teardrop side and employs the "Halfling" top design,

The scale length is of "fanned fret" style made popular by American Luthier Ralph Novak, This was done to make use of the extra bass "real estste" available by putting the "tear" on the bass side.

The instrument features a "Kasha " style bridge,

The back and sides are very old air dried big leaf Cello maple, top is a wide grain Sitka spruce all fittings are ebony,

Neck is contructed with Birdseye maple and is reinforced with carbon fibre and features a two way truss rod.

Finish will be nitro lacquer,

Will have a bartoloini/ Ribbecke Pickup and electronics concealed under the finger rest...

nut width is 1/3/4"

So there you have it folks!
Old 06-18-2010, 07:35 PM

Old 06-20-2010, 05:55 PM

Old 06-20-2010, 07:00 PM

Looking good!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:58 PM

Old 06-23-2010, 07:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wow, that's gorgeous! Can't wait to see and hear it in person next week. Thanks for sharing the exciting project with us.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:29 PM

That my friend is ... WOW.

I feel so happy about all you guys who dare to depart from tradition, for good...
Old 06-23-2010, 07:44 PM

I saw the thickness of the spruce and the maple in the first pictures and thought about how much material a carved, arched guitar takes. That must take an amazing amount of work to shape properly and arrive with something that resonates well. Wow.

This guitar is really something to behold junkie. Enjoy it in good health!
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)
Old 06-23-2010, 10:34 PM

Drooling on my keyboard as we speak...

Beautiful guitar. Congratulations.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:45 AM

Several pics of this amazing guitar

http://www.flickr.com/photos/funkygu...77064092/show/
Old 12-21-2010, 02:23 PM

Here it played by top guitar player Bruce Foreman!

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzHUtwxuK6o
Old 12-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

video not working- very nice..........
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops