The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 08:59 PM

Default Backstrips

Some do, some don’t.

Is a backstrip desireable?

Never gave it much thought...now the question is haunting me.

Thanks for any input, facts, and/or opinions.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:18 PM

Default backstripping

I think a backstrip is more decorative than functional. Some of my guitars have them, some don't, and they all seem to work just fine.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:45 PM

Are you asking about the decorative backstrip on the outside of some guitars, or the center reinforcing strip on the center seam on the inside of the back?
Old 01-14-2018, 10:11 PM
Guest 1511

I'd prefer the manufacturer put more effort into the front than on a back strip that is barely ever seen.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:30 PM

Decorative only. Adds nothing to the sound or quality of an instrument. Some of mine do have one, most don't.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:43 PM

I prefer a backstrip on my guitars. Gives it much more of a symmetrical look between the bookmatched backs. On guitars without a backstrip, the misaligned grain stands out to me. I cans ee this easily on maple guitars with the flames slightly offset on one piece. I find the sapwood on cocobolo or koa ''solve'' this ''issue'' for me. Anyone else?
Old 01-14-2018, 11:53 PM

As far as appearances it depends on the set. Usually I dont like a backstrip, at least the kind that most mfg put on following Martin. Some sets are so plain they need a little color but then just a strip of wood matching the binding with purlfling.
However there is a function. The backstrip strengthens the joint. I dont think it is needed but it does do that.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:12 AM
Guest 728

None of my guitars have one, and I don't care. But I dig the Martin "mosaic" backstrip.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
The backstrip strengthens the joint. I dont think it is needed but it does do that.
An inlaid backstrip actually weakens the joint. That's why guitars with a backstrip will almost invariably have a reinforcing strip on the inside.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-15-2018, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

I like the look of a backstrip, but it’s not a big deal.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
I prefer a backstrip on my guitars. Gives it much more of a symmetrical look between the bookmatched backs. On guitars without a backstrip, the misaligned grain stands out to me. I cans ee this easily on maple guitars with the flames slightly offset on one piece. I find the sapwood on cocobolo or koa ''solve'' this ''issue'' for me. Anyone else?
Those 'offset' flames are generally the opposite side of a bookmatched slice. 'Fold' the two pieces together, visually, and the 'crest' of one flame will neatly fit the 'trough' of its opposite number, so it's unlikely to be a misalignment.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
The backstrip strengthens the joint. I dont think it is needed but it does do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
An inlaid backstrip actually weakens the joint. That's why guitars with a backstrip will almost invariably have a reinforcing strip on the inside.

And, there you have it.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
We are splitting hairs here but I would respectfully disagree with your statement above. An exterior [inlaid] back strip actually makes the joint stronger because there is more gluing surface for the back's center joint. There are three gluing surfaces for the decorative strip to adhere to, left, right and bottom, plus the back halves are butted beneath the decorative inlaid strip.

A [butted] decorative backstrip only has two gluing surfaces, left and right and for that reason it is weaker, by mechanical design, than the inlaid strip.

The decorative external strip is really a moot point if there is an internal reinforcement strip used. Most all guitars use an interior "marriage strip" with its grain running perpendicular to the grain of the back, regardless if there is a decorative strip used on the exterior or not. The interior marriage strip, completely covers the back center butt joint and any decorative strip used on the exterior.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
I'd prefer the manufacturer put more effort into the front than on a back strip that is barely ever seen.
I dig nice backs
Old 01-15-2018, 10:40 AM

I think the back is the most beautiful part of a guitar. Tops are just functional, yes some are more attractive than some, I dont like bearclaw of any kind, I do like high silk. I think that most backstrips are unattractive and detract from the design of the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion