The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-04-2018, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Yep, lately it's been "Ripple" by the Grateful Dead. Wonderful song to flatpick.

Prior to that it was S. Winwood's "Can't Find My Way Home." Terrific chord progression. Genius.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:32 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Yep, lately it's been "Ripple" by the Grateful Dead. Wonderful song to flatpick.

Prior to that it was S. Winwood's "Can't Find My Way Home." Terrific chord progression. Genius.
Two of the best songs ever written, imho.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-04-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Two of the best songs ever written, imho.
Two excellent choices, sir. Sufficient cowbell achieved!
Old 01-04-2018, 10:24 PM

Here's a couple oldies that I like to listen to and sing and play them with my guitar. I never get tired of them.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

This whole subject makes me wonder why we connect to certain songs and not others. For me it is sometimes the lyrics, and sometimes the chord progessions on guitar. I guess the idea of different strokes, etc., comes into play.

I will admit that obsession does not always lead to mastery. Sometimes I will put a song away because something shiney-er (that is a word, right?) catches my ear. And sometimes it is just beyond my current playing ability. But it will go back into my Songbook software, and I will come back to it from time to time.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:19 PM

My most recent obsession was Day Without Love produced in the sixties by a group called Love Affair...I had forgotten about the song till I heard it last year. It's a lovely pop song but I also started fiddling around with it on acoustic guitar, slowing it right down. I think it sounds great on acoustic, and I really love the chord progressions (I play it in G major and particularly the like the shift from a B Minor to F major). For a month or so, I could hardly get it out of my head! I still love it but I think I am past the obsession phase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8ACr_45rGs
Old 01-15-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Can't Find My Way Home." Terrific chord progression. Genius.
Indeed! That's my to to fingerpick song when trying out acoustics. With a pick, From The Beginning by ELP serves that purpose.

I love getting obsessed with songs. I've got a handful of originals in various stages, but one in particular is haunting me at the moment.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:51 PM

There have only been two songs in my whole life that I really went deep into. Both were Russ Taff songs. The first was the song "I Cry" and the second was "Farther On". These two songs haunted me because they are so beautifully written in chord structure and lyric. I'll bet I spent two months learning each. You've heard of 3 chords and the truth? Well these 2 songs are 15 chords and the truth
Old 01-16-2018, 01:11 AM

One really spring to mind . No Frontiers by Mary Black beautiful song and lovely guitar arrangement
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 01-16-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
When I've written a song that is really personal for me or touches me inside I play it and listen to it and basically become obsessed with it for a while.
Same thing happens to me sometimes, with some of the songs I write. There's no predicting when it will happen, it's nothing to do with the degree of skill involved, and its nothing to do with the response of other people. But sometimes I manage to make a song that gives me an imagined musical world that I dearly want to inhabit. It's to do with managing to evoke just a bit of 'truth', I think. So as I play, or listen, I'm feeling 'yes, this is it, this is what it's like.' Whatever 'it' is. Like having a musical movie of a bit of my life that I can replay at will.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write