The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-30-2017, 06:44 AM

Default Best YouTube videos to learn (guitar) music theory?

A friend asked me for some YouTube recommendations to learn music theory. He plays guitar, but I don’t think it has to be limited to just this one instrument right?

I told him about Justin Sandercoe’s website, but does anyone have any good videos that they’ve come across? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:05 PM

I think Steve Stine is great - he youtubes under Guitarzoom, himself, and likely another, but he's worth a look. Very cogent explanations of concepts. Here's one example, but he covers everything elsewhere:

Old 12-30-2017, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

I have a real hard time with theory. I think if a person has an affinity or math, theory will come much easier.

I read it, but for me, I need a live person to explain it to me.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:44 PM

A guy named Pebber Brown has a very clear and easy to understand music theory video on YouTube. Although he is a longtime guitar player, he explains why theory is easier to understand on keyboard.

This is one video I keep cued up on one of my computers. It simply makes theory make sense.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:34 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Tony P. occasionally teaches a very good online course on this topic called “Fretboard Wizard.” Focused on music theory specifically for guitar use. It’s a 6 week course that you have to sign up and pay for...but well worth it. Keep an eye out for it.

Meanwhile, here’s one of his free vids that briefly touches on some of the same stuff.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 12-30-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
A guy named Pebber Brown has a very clear and easy to understand music theory video on YouTube. Although he is a longtime guitar player, he explains why theory is easier to understand on keyboard.

This is one video I keep cued up on one of my computers. It simply makes theory make sense.

Is this the video you’re talking about?
Old 01-03-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I think Steve Stine is great - he youtubes under Guitarzoom, himself, and likely another, but he's worth a look. Very cogent explanations of concepts. Here's one example, but he covers everything elsewhere:
Chris, thanks for the tip. I checked out Stine's first two videos and am hooked. Best explanation of theory I've come across. Plan on working my way through the whole series. He gives me the proverbial light bulb over the head.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-04-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:56 PM

Michael New is good.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNB...rnvwcVRD5fS8aA

jerry
Old 01-03-2018, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

+1 on Tony Polecastro’s materials and his Fretboard Wizard.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-04-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I have a real hard time with theory. I think if a person has an affinity or math, theory will come much easier.

I read it, but for me, I need a live person to explain it to me.
What you need to begin is a basic roadmap to theory. It's not that hard if you don't get overwhelmed by the term. (IMO) Theory is easier to learn on a keyboard, but easier to apply on a guitar. Now, you can take your guitar experience and reverse-engineer the theory (as I was able to), but there is a progression of things you have to learn. It's all easy if you learn it in the proper sequence. What the keyboard gives you is a linear visualization of notes, something that the guitar does not. On the keyboard you have C thru B and the 5 sharps/flats in between, essentially 12 tones that repeat every octave (assuming you first know what an octave is).

The first thing to learn is ROOT PROGRESSIONS and the "rules" of root progressions. It is helpful to know that every note on the major scale (or any scale for that matter) is assigned a number. CDEFGABC (and their corresponding chords) would would have roots (the bass notes) notated as I II III IV V VI VII VIII. Once you know the root notes of each chord in a key you would learn that "I is often followed by IV or V, sometime VI, less often II or III". So, in the key of C you would know that C maj is often followed by F or G, sometimes Am, less often Dm or Em. Using the numbering system as illustrated above, in the key of G, G maj is often followed by C or D, sometimes Em, less often Am or Bm. Each number has a general rule for root progressions.

Next is understanding TRIADS, the three basic notes in each chord. So, in the key of C major, going up the scale of roots, I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII you'd have C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, B diminished.

Following that you have basic embellishments, 7th, minor 7ths. After that you have secondary embellishments; 9ths, 13th, b5ths, etc. And that all blends into poly-chordal things where two (or more) chords are played on top of each other for unique sounds and textures.

On the melodic side you have scales, modes and intervals. Then there are some rules of voice leading, which are typically followed rather loosely, if at all.

Getting back to guitar, the problem is that, because we can use positions and patterns there is often a disconnect between the actual music/theory and what we're playing and hearing. You can play any number of chords and almost magically the ones that sound the best often follow the rules of theory, root progressions and voice leading. We know how to finger chords and strum. We know how to link chords together, and know it sounds good. What's lacking is an understand of how the rules apply to those things that sound good. It's not so hard. Trust me. After playing years of guitar I took my first music theory class in college and remember the first time the professor put stuff up on the board and recall thinking "Oh...that's what they call that".

So again, don't get overwhelmed. Most of what we guitarists use consciously from a theory standpoint can be learned in a few weeks or months- if we already have song playing experience. Those that have no musical experience will have a more difficult time because without it, it's all ether until they have time to gain musical experience.

Dismounting soap box.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-04-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post

Dismounting soap box.
Thanks for taking the time to present that info. Partially digested, and saved for later consumption.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:59 AM

I've basically given up on understanding music theory in any real sense. I have hundreds of dollars in books and five college degrees, but I just haven't found a way to "get it".
Old 01-13-2018, 09:21 PM

If overwhelmed with all the theory and need a break or a laugh check out Dustin @ Howtorockacampfire on YouTube
Takamine EAN10C
Old 01-13-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
What you need to begin is a basic roadmap to theory. It's not that hard if you don't get overwhelmed by the term. (IMO) Theory is easier to learn on a keyboard, but easier to apply on a guitar. Now, you can take your guitar experience and reverse-engineer the theory (as I was able to), but there is a progression of things you have to learn. It's all easy if you learn it in the proper sequence. What the keyboard gives you is a linear visualization of notes, something that the guitar does not. On the keyboard you have C thru B and the 5 sharps/flats in between, essentially 12 tones that repeat every octave (assuming you first know what an octave is).

The first thing to learn is ROOT PROGRESSIONS and the "rules" of root progressions. It is helpful to know that every note on the major scale (or any scale for that matter) is assigned a number. CDEFGABC (and their corresponding chords) would would have roots (the bass notes) notated as I II III IV V VI VII VIII. Once you know the root notes of each chord in a key you would learn that "I is often followed by IV or V, sometime VI, less often II or III". So, in the key of C you would know that C maj is often followed by F or G, sometimes Am, less often Dm or Em. Using the numbering system as illustrated above, in the key of G, G maj is often followed by C or D, sometimes Em, less often Am or Bm. Each number has a general rule for root progressions.

Next is understanding TRIADS, the three basic notes in each chord. So, in the key of C major, going up the scale of roots, I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII you'd have C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, B diminished.

Following that you have basic embellishments, 7th, minor 7ths. After that you have secondary embellishments; 9ths, 13th, b5ths, etc. And that all blends into poly-chordal things where two (or more) chords are played on top of each other for unique sounds and textures.

On the melodic side you have scales, modes and intervals. Then there are some rules of voice leading, which are typically followed rather loosely, if at all.

Getting back to guitar, the problem is that, because we can use positions and patterns there is often a disconnect between the actual music/theory and what we're playing and hearing. You can play any number of chords and almost magically the ones that sound the best often follow the rules of theory, root progressions and voice leading. We know how to finger chords and strum. We know how to link chords together, and know it sounds good. What's lacking is an understand of how the rules apply to those things that sound good. It's not so hard. Trust me. After playing years of guitar I took my first music theory class in college and remember the first time the professor put stuff up on the board and recall thinking "Oh...that's what they call that".

So again, don't get overwhelmed. Most of what we guitarists use consciously from a theory standpoint can be learned in a few weeks or months- if we already have song playing experience. Those that have no musical experience will have a more difficult time because without it, it's all ether until they have time to gain musical experience.

Dismounting soap box.
After watching and reading and doing it again numerous times I can finally figure it out. Mind you its slow and usually requires a pencil and piece of paper
Takamine EAN10C

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write