The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-04-2017, 11:09 PM

Default CF Extravaganza ~ an afternoon with Kramster

Kramster was kind enough to share his instruments with me this afternoon. We spent about 3 hours playing, comparing, and chatting. Time went by in a flash. What fun. And so many nice instruments - sheesh! I told him I thought he could open a small shop specializing in CF instruments!

The experience was very successful for me in that I had the opportunity to really check out several of the guitars that I have been considering getting and some that I didn't know about. And I understand that Kramster enjoyed hearing how each of his instruments sounded, one right after another, when played facing him.

I came away with a much better idea of the sound and playing/feel differences between many of the popular CF models, and with some favorites in mind. The Rainsong CH-OM was clearly a big winner for me, among all the instruments I played - for brilliant and very well-balanced tone, playability, comfortable size, and particularly considering how they are priced! I kept going back to that one every time Kramster went out to get another guitar for me to try. Rainsong really has a winner with the CH-OM model and I would think it will be a big seller given the great pricing. The size was just right in not being too big or bulky and not being too small. Sounded awesome, as well.

Another favorite (surprise) for me was the pre-Peavey CA OXE. Excellent playability, great neck, nice deep bass, great and balanced tone (after I installed a new set of strings), and another guitar with a size that I felt was just right: not too big, not too small.

Thanks Kramster for your kindness and generosity! I do think that you need a roadie, however - to keep your large stock of instruments in fresh(er) strings!

Last edited by DHart; 08-07-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:38 AM

Sounds great, what are you doing next week ? I've got a variety of guitars for you to try out.

(Bring plenty strings... including a 12 set)
Old 08-05-2017, 07:27 AM

Did you get to try the Amicus? Whatta you think?

Old 08-05-2017, 09:26 AM

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-05-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Sounds great, what are you doing next week ? I've got a variety of guitars for you to try out.

(Bring plenty strings... including a 12 set)
Be thrilled to visit you in GB! You pick up the travel allowance and I'll supply the strings!
Old 08-05-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Did you get to try the Amicus? Whatta you think?
I did indeed. Really cool little instrument, with a nice tone. I did find the fretboard real estate just a bit tight for my fingers to chord well. But as a soloing instrument, or playing jigs and such, I think it would be quite suitable!

Last edited by DHart; 08-05-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:34 PM

Hey DHart- So cool of the Kramster to team up with you and let you try his CF arsenal! I'm admittedly a bit jealous!

I think Mark owns a McPherson Sable right? What did you think about that one if you tried it?
Old 08-05-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Hey DHart- So cool of the Kramster to team up with you and let you try his CF arsenal! I'm admittedly a bit jealous!

I think Mark owns a McPherson Sable right? What did you think about that one if you tried it?
I think his is the McPherson "Touring" guitar, if I'm not mistaken? He said it was a "prototype" when he got it. Mark should confirm this to make sure I'm right about it.

http://mcphersonguitars.com/carbon-series/touring/

It was very nice and among my three favorites of the day, as the size is medium (not too small, not too large), had good playability and excellent tone - well-balanced tonally, as I recall. Mark may have a photo of me playing it?

Last edited by DHart; 08-05-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:27 PM

CA OXE, luxuriating in the warm Arizona sunshine. (I wouldn't risk this with my Martin or Eastman, but the CA OXE enjoyed it!)

Rest easy... NO cacti were damaged in the making of these images.

Last edited by DHart; 08-05-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
I think he has what today is called a McPherson "Touring" guitar, if I'm not mistaken? He said it was a prototype when he got it.

http://mcphersonguitars.com/carbon-series/touring/

It was very nice and among my three favorites of the day, as the size is medium (not too small, not too large), had good playability and excellent tone - well-balanced tonally, as I recall. Mark may have a photo of me playing it?
The Touring is just the small version of the Sable. You mention it was one of your top 3 picks from your experience, along with the CH OM that you mention was a clear winner (and I agree ), what was the 3rd guitar that impressed you?
Old 08-05-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
The Touring is just the small version of the Sable. You mention it was one of your top 3 picks from your experience, along with the CH OM that you mention was a clear winner (and I agree ), what was the 3rd guitar that impressed you?
CA OXE (pre-Peavey). Very playable, nicely well-balanced tonally. Good fret access. Not too big, not too small! Sounds great amplified, as well.

Last edited by DHart; 08-05-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:44 PM

That is one fine OX... you must be one of those picture taker guys! Shopped out some scratches.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-05-2017, 03:45 PM

Old 08-05-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Ah yes, the McPherson Touring Guitar - prototype-edition! Nice, comfortable size.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Guest 928

I had an Ox. It plowed many fields. It was good for just about everything and a perfect size. Unfortunately, it was a steel string guitar and I passed it along to a friend of mine, who got about three years out of it before his prodigy musician son claimed the guitar. As you can tell, I think highly of the Ox.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber