The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I spent part of the afternoon fine tuning the adjustments on the BodyRez part of the Play Acoustic (for the X20) for the best sound in that little room. That guitar just makes me smile.
PSA:
I don't like to drag things too wildly off-topic, but since this is the carbon fiber forum, I think it's traditionally a little more relaxed. And since you brought up the BodyRez, that does open the door a crack.

So, are you folks following the ToneDexter thread in the acoustic amplification forum? OMG! I think my beloved Red-Eye preamp is going up for sale pretty soon. Check it out the thread, if you haven't already.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=467276

Old 04-29-2017, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
Wait. I thought that's why we bought composite guitars. So they would be impervious. Take the x20 and just be careful.
That's my thinking! That pretty X20 was made to be played.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's my thinking! That pretty X20 was made to be played.
I didn't say "Don't play it" I said I wouldn't take it on the road, I'd play it mainly at home. If you aren't playing the ones at home, why did you buy them?
See what I mean....what's the difference? Home or on the road? Same amount of play. Enjoy it either way....
Old 04-29-2017, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
PSA:
I don't like to drag things too wildly off-topic, but since this is the carbon fiber forum, I think it's traditionally a little more relaxed. And since you brought up the BodyRez, that does open the door a crack.

So, are you folks following the ToneDexter thread in the acoustic amplification forum? OMG! I think my beloved Red-Eye preamp is going up for sale pretty soon. Check it out the thread, if you haven't already.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=467276

I'm not sure if the ToneDexter does the same thing as the BodyRez. I needed to cut the bass just a bit on the BodyRez with the X20. Playing close to the Bose, there is some feedback from the LR Baggs Element without the bass cut.

Easy enough to make that adjustment and put it into one of the presets on the PlayAcoustic.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I didn't say "Don't play it" I said I wouldn't take it on the road, I'd play it mainly at home. If you aren't playing the ones at home, why did you buy them?
See what I mean....what's the difference? Home or on the road? Same amount of play. Enjoy it either way....
I was really thinking the X7 is the "land cruising" guitar, just because of the size. But, the Blonde said, "The X20 fits in the bedroom when we're down, and rides on the bed when we're rolling - same as the X7."

I don't see any issue with traveling with any of the guitars... well, any of the carbon fiber guitars. They get to travel pretty good when we're on the road.

Oh, and that "If you aren't playing the ones at home..." yeah, I've been trying to spread the love around. I played everything on the wall today.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Oh, and that "If you aren't playing the ones at home..." yeah, I've been trying to spread the love around. I played everything on the wall today.
Closet too?

My X20 (lowly Opus) is my go to guitar for all occasions if there is anyway I can bring it with me. Available space (or lack of it) is usually my driving factor. I am considering leaving a kid or two at home on the next family trip so I have sufficient space for my toys. If I was in your shoes I would take the woody if I have the space. I imagine you will ultimately do the same at least on some trips assuming that occasionally you might want to spend your time on the road with another guitar. Either way have fun, play long and prosper.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 04-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Closet too?

My X20 (lowly Opus) is my go to guitar for all occasions if there is anyway I can bring it with me. Available space (or lack of it) is usually my driving factor. I am considering leaving a kid or two at home on the next family trip so I have sufficient space for my toys. If I was in your shoes I would take the woody if I have the space. I imagine you will ultimately do the same at least on some trips assuming that occasionally you might want to spend your time on the road with another guitar. Either way have fun, play long and prosper.

No, not the closet cache. My X7 is an Opus - I think it is beautiful. With a delightful sound to match.

We only have one kid, in her 40s and apparently didn't get our wandering genes... digressing again... we always had room for the kid and a guitar. The Blonde (Joan) and I have finally decided to not have another child... so there will always be room for a guitar.

Would there be room for more than one guitar in the motorhome? Probably (since we already did that), but I might have to leave behind underwear and deodorant. Kidding, of course... I could always carry skivvies and Sure in one of the guitars, if necessary.

The thought of the X20 being "too nice" to travel with us never crossed my mind. I have no doubt that guitar is tougher than I am. It is about space... the final frontier... digressing again. I'll probably decide while we're packing up the coach; no sense rushing into things.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure if the ToneDexter does the same thing as the BodyRez. I needed to cut the bass just a bit on the BodyRez with the X20. Playing close to the Bose, there is some feedback from the LR Baggs Element without the bass cut.

Easy enough to make that adjustment and put it into one of the presets on the PlayAcoustic.
I use the boss acoustic preamp. And a graphic equilizer. Cut the frequency that is feeding back and use the notch on the preamp. But if it's too loud and I can't move my amp away from the guitar. It becomes a long night and I'm stomping my boss tuner as a bypass between songs or on parts I'm not playing.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Over a month since I started this thread. As we gear up to head out, we take a couple tasks each day to close up the house and get ready to roll. The scoots went into our storage unit yesterday. The boat comes out Monday morning. Today was: deck furniture cleaned, ready to be put away, and... gasp... inventory and put away guitars.

A good time to photograph guitars and related stuff for an insurance inventory. Batteries out, everybody shined up, and into cases. While the X7 and X20 did get their photos taken, they were the two that aren't being put away. A final decision will be made on which stays and which comes along in a couple days.

When I was just about done with the inventory photos, Joan said to me, "Maybe we can make some photo art with those images?"

Yeah, I wasn't going for creative, just cataloging. Here are a couple images that make me smile:

The louro preto on the X20...

The shimmer of the carbon fiber weave on the face of the X7...

And, the guitar that started it all for me 51 years ago...

It wasn't my first guitar, but it was the guitar I never thought I'd actually own. Lots of memories with that instrument, and the classic style still makes me smile.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

We hit the road this morning. As of last night, I was still tormenting myself. The guitar traveling with us: a lovely, compact, delightful X7. Yeah, I already miss my X20.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

It was easy for me to say "The X20 is too nice to take on the road" but then I received mine. My tune has changed, assuming there is room, it would be hard to leave any X20 behind. I'm trying to say I feel for ya, but think how happy it will be to see you when you return ! Safe travels.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:54 PM
Anticipation Junkie

My Cargo gets a lot of play at home and is my travel guitar. If it didn't play and sound so good for what it is, I wouldn't take it. Mine has the 'Road Tough' finish and it is just that...great for any situation. Even though I don't own either an X20 or X7, with its crystal ice finish, if I was in your shoes, my decision would have been the same, to take your X7 Opus. Happy trails, Jim!
Old 06-09-2017, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Either of these guitars would be delightful on the road. Well, both have been. The Blonde encouraged me to take the X20, but it was something she said that swayed me to go for the X7... "Maybe you can play for me while I drive?"

Truly, the X7 would be the best fit for that. For full disclosure, I have never done that. I have played guitar while she was driving the boat in years passed, but not while going down the road with one of our RVs. I drive about 95% of the time, and always while double towing... this trip, it is just the car behind the motorhome and we are traveling light (for us).

See you down the road!

Jim
Old 06-15-2017, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

We are meandering our way across Iowa, after visiting with family here... spent a good part of the afternoon looking at the Bridges of Madison County. Not the book or the movie, the actual bridges.

An easy travel day today: we were out relatively early. That meant no guitar playing this morning. Apparently, our little Izzy was trying to tell me something...

"Daddy (yeah, she calls me 'Daddy'), will you play for me when we're down for the day?"

What can I say, she's my second biggest fan.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Father's Day in the Amana Colonies...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/06...-colonies.html

Wrapping up a lovely day with some guitar time...

Little Izzy didn't want me to stop playing...

JK... sweetest little furry girl ever. (Yeah, I know that messes up my tough boat captain persona... I'm OK with that. )
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber