The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-10-2017, 08:22 PM

Default $199 Vox AC4TV Tube Amp Stupid Deal Of The Day

I have one of these and it is a great little practice amp.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid
Old 02-10-2017, 10:04 PM

Is there any clean headroom?
Old 02-10-2017, 10:28 PM

Not a lot, though I tend to play mine all the way up. I can't help it.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Only single-ended EL84 amp I've heard that has anything even resembling clean headroom is the Bugera V5 (same $199 all the time/everywhere you go, BTW - and can be had for even less); if you want clean headroom at bedroom levels you really need 15 watts or more in a tube amp, 25+ in a solid-state - and more if you can get it in either form. Just as with a fine-quality audio system, we're talking about nuance, dynamic range, and reserve power rather than sheer volume - something too often forgotten by those who equate "tone" with massive levels of gain and distortion: fine in its place, but far from the be-all-and-end-all of electric guitar...
Old 02-10-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Only single-ended EL84 amp I've heard that has anything even resembling clean headroom is the Bugera V5 (same $199 all the time/everywhere you go, BTW - and can be had for even less); if you want clean headroom at bedroom levels you really need 15 watts or more in a tube amp, 25+ in a solid-state - and more if you can get it in either form. Just as with a fine-quality audio system, we're talking about nuance, dynamic range, and reserve power rather than sheer volume - something too often forgotten by those who equate "tone" with massive levels of gain and distortion: fine in its place, but far from the be-all-and-end-all of electric guitar...
I was curious. I have a Matchless Lightning 15 that sounds gorgeous clean. 1965 Fender Princeton Reverb too at 12 watts.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:25 AM

Don't know what tubes you're using in the Matchless, but if you like "big clean" tone these make my Bugera V22 (same tube complement) sound like an old blue-check Ampeg "key club" Gemini II/B-12XT studio amp:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Shop-by-...remium-Package

Pre-glasnost Soviet mil-spec tubes made for use in MIG fighter jets: comparable to the American JAN stuff you want for that Princeton, tough as they come, at a far-better price than the US bottles - and since mine has a solid-state rectifier here's the matching 5AR4 for your amp:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/5A...ed-Series-5AR4

If you do go this route I'd recommend spending the extra $5 for matched triodes in all positions - although some guys say it only matters in the PI/driver stage, to my ears the cleans sound smoother and the OD is more controllable with greater headroom...
Old 02-11-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
No, my wife has an ac4-mini - it has a 6 inch speaker but the same features and circuitry. It is very "gainy" on all three wattage settings but is a perfect harp amp when paired with a "brown sounding" mic.

I agree with Steve, The Bugera 5 watter has much more clean headroom.

The AC4 is LOUD though, far louder than my Champ 600 RI.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-12-2017, 04:07 AM

I have an AC4TV and love it but I agree it is hard to get clean tones at any decent volume and of course the 1/4 w setting is pretty dull sounding at most levels!

However, it was suggested to me that swapping out the preamp tube for a lower gain one (12AT7?) would help achieve a little more headroom. Is there anyone who has tried this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-12-2017, 08:19 AM

If you want clean and quite loud and valves the Ibanez TSA15 (head or combo) has a good reputation. It even has a tube screamer pedal built into the pre-amp.

https://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-TSA15H...=ibanez+tsa15h
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 03-13-2017, 10:43 AM

I always wanted a Vox amp

An AC15 or AC30.

I wanted to have enough headroom to have cleans
be usable.

At the the beginning of the year I found an AC30CC2
in a pawnshop in amazing condition for $320.

No way I could pass the deal up.

It's a lot of amp, but my son is using it a church as
his main amp.

He has it in an ISO box in the back of the stage.

He is getting some amazing tones with amp.

I think everyone should have a Vox amp in their collection.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 12-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
I always wanted a Vox amp

An AC15 or AC30.

I wanted to have enough headroom to have cleans
be usable.

At the the beginning of the year I found an AC30CC2
in a pawnshop in amazing condition for $320.

No way I could pass the deal up.

It's a lot of amp, but my son is using it a church as
his main amp.

He has it in an ISO box in the back of the stage.

He is getting some amazing tones with amp.

I think everyone should have a Vox amp in their collection.
That’s the score of the year! You were wise to not pass it up. Having owned a lot of amps, from a variety of brands, I’ve settled into the Vox sound. To me, it’s similar to Gretsch. Each having unique tones, but made for one another.

Having said that, I found the AC412 to have more clean headroom then the smaller 10’ speaker. BUT, I felt the cab was too small causing a “boxy” tone as (imo) there wasn’t enough opportunity to get air moving properly.

I played an AC10 and was quite impressed! Even with the 10” speaker it had great clean tones, but could get gritty when desired. When I played the AC 4HW I found it nothing but grit/gain. It’s absolutely NOT a clean amp in any way, shape, or form. If looking for a fun, gritty, overdriven small practice amp, this fits the bill.

In the end I went with the AC15 greenback and have absolutely no regrets. It sounds fantastic. And when paired with a proper overdrive (My preference is the Hotcake) and one of my Gretsch guitars...sublime.

Having owned 2 Bugera V-22’s (an original version, and the updated “blue light” version), and a V-55, I’d agree that they’re really great amps. My V-55 was what some called a “poor mans Fender Twin Reverb”. Having owned a 65 TRRI, I’d have to say that I can understand that comment.

While I’m not sure that I could agree completely (there are certain nuances/differences that’s were quite obvious), I would say that the clean headroom was unreal.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 12-12-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
...When I played the AC 4HW I found it nothing but grit/gain. It’s absolutely NOT a clean amp in any way, shape, or form. If looking for a fun, gritty, overdriven small practice amp, this fits the bill...
My experience is different. I've had the AC4TV, AC4-C1, and currently the AC4HW1 (four years). At home volumes (I don't gig) the AC4HW1 has plenty of clean headroom for bedroom playing and recording, though that's not what I bought it for. I do agree that clean headroom is not the reason to buy any AC4. I have a VSA Vintage 15 (1964 BF PR clone) for that.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
...if you want clean headroom at bedroom levels you really need 15 watts or more in a tube amp...
I have a Bugera V22 Infinium (that I bought at Steve's suggestion) and when I'm practicing at home I use it in triode (vs pentode) mode and get a nice, clean sound.

BTW, I couldn't be happier with the amp.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars