The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-01-2016, 09:49 AM

Default Help with guitar interface/recording

So I am pretty much completely new to the recording seen. I have audacity right now and I'm trying to figure out what I need in terms of a guitar interface. I may upgrade to something else if need be, but I figured I cant beat free to start out.

So I have no idea what different Interfaces are out there. I'm not looking to publish or anything like that. Mainly just for my enjoyment. What I am looking for is the ability to plug my guitar into my laptop and record/layer tracks for like rhythm, picking or lead lines, ect. Also, I would love to be able to eventually add chord pads, base lines, and stuff like in this video I saw of Cubase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8D4QBWQZPw

Im not sure if Audacity will meet my needs or not. Don't know if there are bundles of interface/software that I would be better of spending my money on. I'm not looking for professional sound quality but it needs to be passable and Im guessing the functionality will be more important to me.

Also I've hear a little bit about computer sound cards. Don't know anything about that and if mine is suitable or not.

Any advice or suggestions in any way will be appreciated.

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 07-01-2016, 11:03 AM

There are lots of folks with better information than me, but what gear do you currently have?

For an interface, you need a piece of gear that translates your signal from analog to digital; there are lots of those out there, some better than others. If you are wanting to record acoustic, it will be pretty much essential that the interface contains a GOOD pre-amp to boost the signal. The pick-up in your guitar will also affect things, and you may want to record through an external mic instead (or both).

As for DAW and signal processing/editing/mixing, everybody has preferences along that line. PreSonus and Cubase are two pretty good software packages; ProTools, of course, if you have the money. I use a Linux-based program called Ardour (criticisms of Linux-based audio support and functionality totally acknowledged), which has also been ported over to Windows by Harrison as the Harrison Mix-Bus platform. Audacity is pretty basic and may serve your needs completely, but if you want to get into more advanced mixing inputs, it'll be a bit of a steep learning curve, but fun. And stressful. :-)

So what gear do you currently have, including your computer specs, and what sort of music do you want to record?
Old 07-01-2016, 01:08 PM

Default Gear

So right now I have the guitars listed in my signature. The all have built in preamps so I can check that off unless there is more to it that I'm not aware of.

Then my computer is an HP spectre with an Intel i5. I don't know anything about the sound card. It has beats audio speakers and some software with it but idk if that will have any effect on what I will be doing. I don't have any interface and the only software I have is audacity.

I play a pretty wide range of styles: newer country, contemporary Christian, some pop, alternative. Mainly just want to experiment with adding accompaniment to my recordings. I.e. record a rhythm track then and finger picking part. Eventually, software permitting, adding base lines, background chords, and drums..

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 07-01-2016, 01:12 PM

Also I guess I don't really know what a DAW is. Is that part of the interface or recording software or totally separate.

I would also be interested to know if all these pieces are totally stand alone or if it's better use certain interfaces with certain software and whatever else I need. Maybe if nothing else just for a more streamlined experience? Like I said I don't really know much about it and try to learn as much as I can..

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 07-01-2016, 03:48 PM

Ok. So I called guitar center and talked to a guy in pro-audio. He recommended the presonus audiobox which he personally liked and is on sale right now for $79. Sounded pretty good. Also comes bundled with Studio One Artist DAW. Did some research on it and found lots of good things. Thought the price was good and if everything I'm hearing is correct, sounds like a good product.

But then I saw some different models of the audiobox on GC website for more money. Was curious so I started looking into the differences. I've hear mixed things. Some saying the cheaper model has a lot of noise. Also, differences in preamp and DAW bundle.

I'm not sure if the noise would be an issue for me since I don't play electric, and my acoustics have built in Preamps. Don't know much about mics and if that would be a different story. I probably won't be doing much with vocals but potentially recording with both the direct out and mic on guitar.

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 07-01-2016, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Read through the last few years of posts on this Record section of the forum, the relevant threads anyway. You will find out a bunch.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-01-2016, 06:42 PM

Welcome to the world of recording. My one suggestion to get you started is Reaper, the incredibly full featured DAW for $60. The video tutorials available at the link below are, in my opinion, the best and most comprehensive learning tool of any DAW period.

http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php
Old 07-06-2016, 01:06 PM

It's good you are asking questions before buying - getting inexpensive equipment now that won't serve your needs in the future is throwing money away.

What is your initial budget? Besides the audio interface, you'll need a mic (plus stand and cable) and some headphones to monitor with when you are recoding with the mic.
In the future do you ever anticipate recording a drum kit or full band playing live? If so, you would need an interface with enough mic preamps for as many mics as you wanted to use.
Usually starting out you can use an interface with 2 in puts, so you can use 2 mics, or a mic and plug an instrument into the second input.
Reaper is a full-featured DAW, is free to download, $60 to register it. It maybe more than you need now, but it will accommodate our future needs. No Matter what DAW you decide on, there will be a learning curve - once you learn a particular one, you will not want to switch and have to relearn everything.
What you will need in the future: monitors - speakers with a decently flat response that do not over-color the sound when you are listening back and mixing. Acoustic treatment - bass traps (rockwool, not foam) to tame the reflections in your room.
The forums at homerecording.com and Gearslutz have lots of information.

Here's a recording package (interface, mic, headphones) from Sweetwater.
Here are some at Musicians Friend: $200, $250

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Welcome to the world of recording. My one suggestion to get you started is Reaper, the incredibly full featured DAW for $60. The video tutorials available at the link below are, in my opinion, the best and most comprehensive learning tool of any DAW period.

http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php
Thanks for the link to the video turorials; great stuff. I've been using Reaper for a while, but only figuring out things as I needed and often times going about things the hard way. The videos were a great way to see what's available as well as how to use it easily.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 07-07-2016, 10:12 PM

Thanks everyone. My initial budget is as low as possible. (Broke college kid). Also this is pretty much just for my own enjoyment not any serious recording or live settings. I actually just ordered a presonus audio box and studio one artist bundle, on sale at GC for $79 right now. If I don't like it I can return it but from the research I did it looks like my best budget option.

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
interface, recording, software