The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-09-2016, 10:10 PM

Default I need your opinion on this song

First off, i apologize if this isn't in the right section but i figure the general category is as good as any for this post. I'm putting together a demo to share with potential venue owners, and would love some feedback on our sound. Do you like the performance, mixing, over-all sound quality etc...etc... any tips or tricks would be appreciated. I'm not using professional grade recording gear or any room treatments or anything so bear with me on that. but if you have any suggestions, i would love an unbiased ear to listen!

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 04-09-2016, 10:49 PM

i think the songs belong in the play area.

i can't help is played very well but i think vocals are overwrought. much better singer than i am tho.

dock of the bay is also played very well but i think the vocals are a little weak. maybe a change in key downward??

hope this helps. really a great start on each one.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-09-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i think the songs belong in the play area.

i can't help is played very well but i think vocals are overwrought. much better singer than i am tho.

dock of the bay is also played very well but i think the vocals are a little weak. maybe a change in key downward??

hope this helps. really a great start on each one.

play music!
Thank you, thank you. I kind of suspected that it might be the wrong section, also, I agree with your assessment on both songs, I'll see about incorporating your advice when I go to record them again. : )

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 04-10-2016, 12:12 AM
Guest4562

Beautiful voice on I Can't Help, but comes across as a bit unsure at the bridge. Weak vocals on Dock of the Bay and I think one chord played as a minor needs to be a major. As to the production aspects, for a demo for club owners it's fine.

Depending on the kinds of venues you are soliciting, you might need examples of some more authoritatively presented, impactful songs, particularly for bar gigs. For a restaurant dinner music kind of thing, what you've selected is perfect.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2016, 03:19 AM
Charter Member

Hi, Sunday morning, and time to sit and listen.

"I Can't Help..." guitar track fine no issues. Young ladies voice beautiful, but I discerned some nervousness. The parts from about 1.17 - 1.50 and again at about 2.08 - 2.15, had some pitch problems. I felt that she didn't feel happy with the melody change ion these parts.

Well worth re-recording the vocals, when she has had time to relax - and memorize that part - which, I believe is quite a difficult vocal part anyway.

However still a version to be proud of.

"Sittin' On the Dock...." ...whilst the singer on track one was giving it all she could, I get the impression that the singer on this track is holding back a little.

Personally, I find that if I do this my accuracy can get a bit dubious.

Also the repetition of the song title at the end got a bit ... samey.

My suggestion would be to re-record it with a bit more oomph in the vocals, yeah I know that the "feel" of the song is supposed to be a bit dreamy, but sing it with more conviction, and balance volume of vocals to guitar.

Nice clean recordings though.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalkingsausage View Post
First off, i apologize if this isn't in the right section but i figure the general category is as good as any for this post. I'm putting together a demo to share with potential venue owners, and would love some feedback on our sound. Do you like the performance, mixing, over-all sound quality etc...etc... any tips or tricks would be appreciated. I'm not using professional grade recording gear or any room treatments or anything so bear with me on that. but if you have any suggestions, i would love an unbiased ear to listen!

Nice voice! The bridge for "Falling in Love" starts a half step lower than the previous note (last note of verse).
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
critique, music, opinions, recording, song