The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2015, 03:53 PM

Talking Incoming CEO-7... String Recommendations Please

I have a new CEO-7 on it's way.

What have you done to yours that you feel was a good improvement?

I have a lyric p/u that I hope will work well in it... if not I will go with a K&K...

I play fingerstyle 95% of the time and do some light strumming...

I understand the bridge pins are plastic so I will install ebony ones...

Has anyone tried any of the Monel strings on theirs? If you mention your strings would you indicate the gauge along with the brand and if they are not on a CEO-7 then what model of guitar and what tonewoods. I like monels on mahogany but not so much on rosewood...

Thanks for any and all suggestions...

Thanks... gene

Last edited by 47gene; 03-10-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-10-2015, 05:03 PM

I tried Monels but switched back to my standard D'addario PB lights on the CEO-7. It seemed to lose something with those strings . . .
Martin 000-18 GE
Martin 00-18v
National VS Tricone
Waterloo WL-14 LTR
Old 03-10-2015, 05:13 PM

Thumbs up

Just put "Newtone Masterclass custom 12's"...and this CEO-7 is sounding heavenly(Fingerstyle and hybrid)
Old 03-10-2015, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

I started a thread on the UMGF with this same question after I got my CEO 7 a month ago ("what modifications did you make to your CEO 7"). There are several suggestions from many CEO 7 owners re: string choice, tuners, bridge pins, etc. You may want to take a look at that thread. Just search for CEO 7 or threads started by me (Coastman).
Old 03-10-2015, 05:25 PM

Default Thanks..

ojaidave, jpd & coastman... thanks for the replies... I'm not a member of the Martin forum.... this CEO-7 is my first... will try to locate your thread Coastman. Gene
Old 03-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

When I had mine I used D'Addario EJ-16's PB 12's. Occasionally a set of John Pearse PB 12's. Congrats on your new guitar!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-10-2015, 05:49 PM

I'm a habitual string changer and experimenter. Everything I've tried sounds decent, even the Lifespans it came with new. My favorites have been D'Adario EJ16s, Martin Medium/Lights (M545 I think), and I'm really liking the Tony Rice Monel on it now (these are Mediums). Have ordered a set of John Pearse Pure Nickels for next change, but will go back to TRs if bnot better. I suspect I'll try PBs occassionally. Really need two of these, one for 1 for bronze and 1 for Monel.

Doesn't need any changes, otherwise in my opinion. I usually put in a new saddle and maybe pins, but I don't want to mess with sound, it's that good and the origi nal saddle is nicely polished. Tuners are fine. Setup was perfect.

I did gloss the neck up a bit. It was a little dull in the original satin .

My only very minor complaint -- I wish the burst were a little lighter so wood grain shines through a little more. But that's minor in a small, comfortable guitar that sounds and plays better than it should.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:54 PM

Question ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
When I had mine I used D'Addario EJ-16's PB 12's. Occasionally a set of John Pearse PB 12's. Congrats on your new guitar!
Why did you sell her?
Old 03-10-2015, 05:56 PM

Default Thanks Hoyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
I'm a habitual string changer and experimenter. Everything I've tried sounds decent, even the Lifespans it came with new. My favorites have been D'Adario EJ16s, Martin Medium/Lights (M545 I think), and I'm really liking the Tony Rice Monel on it now (these are Mediums). Have ordered a set of John Pearse Pure Nickels for next change, but will go back to TRs if bnot better. I suspect I'll try PBs occassionally. Really need two of these, one for 1 for bronze and 1 for Monel.

Doesn't need any changes, otherwise in my opinion. I usually put in a new saddle and maybe pins, but I don't want to mess with sound, it's that good and the origi nal saddle is nicely polished. Tuners are fine. Setup was perfect.

I did gloss the neck up a bit. It was a little dull in the original satin .

My only very minor complaint -- I wish the burst were a little lighter so wood grain shines through a little more. But that's minor in a small, comfortable guitar that sounds and plays better than it should.
I've got a set of Tony Rice's in the drawer... will try them 1st... thanks for your reply... gene
Old 03-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47gene View Post
Why did you sell her?
I bought mine in the hight of the CEO-7 frenzy. You couldn't find one...much less buy it? I happened to be looking online at inventory at Gruhn in Nashville and they had one unspoken for from some sort of CMA award event that hadn't been played but had been on display so they made me a good deal on it when there were none available. I bought it and it was a fine guitar. And I really liked it but I already had a Kevin Kopp L-02 and didn't "need" two "L-00" body guitars so the Kopp stayed and I sold the CEO-7 and got my money back. It was the right decision but I do miss that little CEO-7 from time to time. It has a unique voice and was a fine fingerstyle guitar. Congrats on yours...enjoy!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 03-10-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:12 PM

Default Coastman ---- Thanks

Found your thread on the other forum... great help...

Really like the looks of those Colosi bridge pins, too.... Gene
Old 03-10-2015, 07:41 PM

I haven't owned my CEO-7 for very long, but I love the sound of it with the stock strings (Lifespans, I think). The one that I bought had just arrived at my local dealer.....and I was the first customer to play the instrument!
This is an awesome sounding and playing instrument, however, admittedly the neck shape is a bit larger than I am accustomed to and has taken me a bit of time to adjust to it. Nothing wrong with it at all, just a different feel for me.
Anyway, congrats on your new guitar! I am sure you will enjoy it....even with the stock strings!
Old 03-11-2015, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47gene View Post
Found your thread on the other forum... great help...

Really like the looks of those Colosi bridge pins, too.... Gene
Great- hope you were able to glean some helpful info there. Yea, those Colosi pins look really nice on the CEO 7. As far as strings, I will be trying Martin retros at next string change.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:41 AM

A lot of people have said D'addario EJ-16's (PB lights). I use them on my L-00 and all my other guitars. I like the sound of mahogany the best and I tend to like the way PB brightens it up a bit.

For a mahogany small body guitar I would start with your favorite brand of PB lights and adjust from there if you want it brighter/darker/etc.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:16 PM

Default Elixir Nanoweb PB Lights on my CEO-7 sound great

I acquired a mint condition 2015 CEO-7 two days ago. The music store that I purchased the guitar from had shipped it with new Martin SP Light strings. The guitar sounded rather dull when I first played it, so I replaced the strings with Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze Light strings. (.012-.053) Now this little Martin sounds amazing - bright highs, warm mids and strong bass. Go Elixir PB Light!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion