The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-03-2012, 11:04 AM

I don't think that's even possible with oh, say 99.9% of guitar players.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

Last edited by Goodallboy; 11-03-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spell ck
Old 11-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long813 View Post
Maybe someday more CF's will penetrate Canada.
I'm Canadian, and I'm hooked. I believe Long & McQuade carries some CFs. I know in Toronto they did (I don't live in TO). I could be wrong, but I think interest in CFs may have its roots in online forums such as the AGF and the CarbonFiberForum. I find that there aren't many Canadians hanging out in these forums.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I'm Canadian, and I'm hooked. I believe Long & McQuade carries some CFs. I know in Toronto they did (I don't live in TO). I could be wrong, but I think interest in CFs may have its roots in online forums such as the AGF and the CarbonFiberForum. I find that there aren't many Canadians hanging out in these forums.
Well, since you are talking about Canadians, I have to say that Canada spoiled me every time I have been up there. Back in the 70s, our band played up there for about 6 months straight, starting way up north and working our way down to the larger cities. Then, later as a software engineer, I was up there a fair amount in the 90s. Every time I have been in Canada, I have met the nicest people and had a great time. CF didn't ruin me for wood guitars,but Canada sure spoiled me with so many consistently nice and decent people.
Tony
Old 11-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Well, since you are talking about Canadians, I have to say that Canada spoiled me every time I have been up there. Back in the 70s, our band played up there for about 6 months straight, starting way up north and working our way down to the larger cities. Then, later as a software engineer, I was up there a fair amount in the 90s. Every time I have been in Canada, I have met the nicest people and had a great time. CF didn't ruin me for wood guitars,but Canada sure spoiled me with so many consistently nice and decent people.
Tony
+1 and a shout out to anyone from St. Helen!

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 11-03-2012, 01:06 PM

"You all love to argue so much about who should have an opinion. "

I are just having fun, discussing, that's what a forum does. I actually respect your opinion, believe it or not

"I like the fact that wood changes with the weather."

Now that is ludicrous what possible advantage is there! LOL

"Aesthetically, I think wood is prettier, and that does make a difference to me."

I thought the same thing till I got the Emerald total weave, in good light it blows wood away. I know opinion but doubt you have held one.

"I think that will be true until you find a wood guitar you really love which, if you play them enough, will happen."

Are you kindling me! I have played guitar for 45 years, go into every guitar shop I pass, always search them out on vacation. Been at Tim McKnight's shop, the Podium etc. I really don't know of a make I have not played. There were many that were absolutely wonderful. At the Podium I was convinced no one makes a better guitar than Collins. Tim is very special as well. In fact at one time I was on a quest for a McKnight. It could always change but these hold little interest now.

"I also like the tradition of wood guitars. I admire the discipline, the skills and the talent/craft of building them."

I really understand this, I admire those that can build these wonderful things out of wood. It is interesting that this is what I admire most about the Carbon Makers. These guys are truly amazing craftsmen, inventors creating things that were just not possible a few years ago. What I most admire is their perseverance against all odds. These are not big shops they keep at it and each time they raise the bar. I have held many guitars in my hands but the Emerald Doubleneck was the first time I used the word genius to describe its maker. There is a real difference between genius and craftsmanship.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-03-2012, 01:50 PM

On my classical guitar, I prefer the original, traditional, tested and true, "cat-gut" strings. There is just a sound and tone that nylon strings can't match. Further, I really love the looks and beauty of cat-gut. It's from nature--so it's natural--and more therefore more beautiful. Plus there is such long tradition and skill that goes into producing each set that has to be admired as well.

That's why nylon strings, even though they have some value with a bit of extra durability, will never replace my love for cat-gut and pure tonal qualities of cat-gut. I'm not a fan of that synthetic nylon sound.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
"I like the fact that wood changes with the weather."

Now that is ludicrous what possible advantage is there! LOL
It makes me work. It demands that I learn my instrument and master my ability to adjust technique in different circumstances. When I was flying, one of the lessons was "recovering from unusual attitudes" meaning from a dive or other weird place you didn't know you were in. I find it both challenging and educational, and in the end, fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
"I also like the tradition of wood guitars. I admire the discipline, the skills and the talent/craft of building them."

I really understand this, I admire those that can build these wonderful things out of wood. It is interesting that this is what I admire most about the Carbon Makers. These guys are truly amazing craftsmen, inventors creating things that were just not possible a few years ago. What I most admire is their perseverance against all odds. These are not big shops they keep at it and each time they raise the bar. I have held many guitars in my hands but the Emerald Doubleneck was the first time I used the word genius to describe its maker. There is a real difference between genius and craftsmanship.
Yes, there is. And there is a difference between high tech manipulation and hands on working. Both are amazing, but it would be a shame to lose either. IMO.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 11-03-2012, 02:30 PM

"You all love to argue so much about who should have an opinion."

It's not about who should have an opinion, it's about people giving an opinion that isn’t applicable to the topic (in particular, without even explaining where they’re coming from).

Let me try to reverse the situation to see if I can make people understand where I’m coming from. In the main forum, there are threads on humidity all the time. Let’s assume someone is looking for input on this topic and starts a thread titled “How Do You Deal With Humidity?” Now, let’s say someone posts a simple “I don’t worry about it”. Someone participating in the thread might reply: “where do you live? Are your natural humidity levels so consistent you don’t have to worry about it? Do you leave your guitars in their cases?” When this guy comes back and says, “I own carbon fiber guitars and don’t need to worry about humidity”, how well is that going to be received?

Clearly, someone asking about how you handle humidity is looking for input from people with wood guitars. Someone chiming in that they don’t worry about it (and don’t even bother to say why in their first response) is, in my opinion, being inconsiderate.

To me, the same thing has been going on here. The topic is clearly geared towards people who own, have owned or at least have significant experience with CF guitars. When someone posts a simple “no” or “not in the least” without even explaining that they don’t own CF guitars, they are just as inconsiderate as a CF owner posting in a humidity thread.

We are well aware that 99%+ of the AGF membership has little to no interest in CF guitars. If this topic were opened up to the general membership, the topic would be closed (300 posts max, right?) before 5 or 10 CF owners responded. This wasn’t about trying to determine what percentage of AGF members aren’t interested in wood. That number is clearly microscopic. It was about people who have embraced CF guitars. Have they embraced the technology so absolutely that wood guitars are no longer in the equation?

"I can see how you might decide you don't want to mess with wood again. I think that will be true until you find a wood guitar you really love which, if you play them enough, will happen."

This implies that the only reason someone like me has given up on wood guitars is because I haven’t played enough of them. I’ve been playing guitar for over 40 years. I have a very good idea of what I like and what I need in a guitar. I have played hundreds of guitars, some costing $5 and $10K. To state outright that I will eventually go back to wood if I play enough guitars is incorrect. You have nothing to base that on, other than your bias that wood guitars are better than CF. It makes it sound like I’m only interested in CF guitars because of the low maintenance issues and durability, but CF guitars couldn’t possibly satisfy my need for a truly great guitar.

Last edited by cotten; 11-03-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: AGF Rule 1
Old 11-03-2012, 03:01 PM

"And there is a difference between high tech manipulation and hands on working"

I really don't underestimate the skills to make a wood guitar but from the statement above I truely think you underestimate the skills to make a high end Carbon.

And the wood guitars advantage is that it makes you "work harder", what a truely amazing reason to buy one. You are a better player than me I prefer a guitar that makes my playing as easy as possible, that's what I am paying for in a guitar. I had 30 days to sent back the Emerald and I told Alistair the only reason it would come back would be if the necks were not extremely playable, what was I thinking?

Steve
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 11-03-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:47 PM

The idea of giving up tone for a guitar that takes less upkeep is ludicrous, to me. If a composite material guitar has the tone you want I'm all for it, but to compromise on sound so you don't have to use a humidifier? Not worth it in my book. I'm in it for the tone, not the convenience.

But no one has to have the same goals as me.

Ed

Last edited by Ed422; 11-03-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Change term some find offensive
Old 11-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I've only found Cargo's in the L&M's I've been to out east, but from that, since Peavey bought out CA, L&M no longer stocks their guitars.

Steve's Music is a dealer for Peavey, so maybe they will pick them up?

Lastly, I'm actually surprised of the amount of canucks on the board. You'll see them every now and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthurman View Post
It makes me work. It demands that I learn my instrument and master my ability to adjust technique in different circumstances. When I was flying, one of the lessons was "recovering from unusual attitudes" meaning from a dive or other weird place you didn't know you were in. I find it both challenging and educational, and in the end, fun.
There is nothing exciting about constantly watching over your guitar to make sure it's properly humidified. No fun in not bringing a guitar out to a camp fire because it will get ruined.

I love all-wood guitars, but the maintenance and upkeep is tedious and annoying, much like shaving.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthurman View Post
I have to agree with Steve on this one. This is completely ridiculous IMO. Do you also drive a car that starts with a crank, or heat your house with a wood stove because it forces you to learn the best way to get a consistent temperature?

If I can get completely consistently playability and tone from my guitar I absolutely disagree that it is somehow better to have to worry about temperature/humidity. It's like saying its good to have bald tires on your car because it teaches you to avoid sharp things on the road or to drive VERY carefully in snow.

Recovering from unusual altitudes is to train you so you don't kill yourself and everyone else on the plane if you get caught in a bad situation. If there was a way to ensure you would never be in that situation to begin with, I think you would choose that over the "challenge" of recovering from a bad situation.

EDIT: also, I find it slightly ironic that your signature says "worry less, play more".
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-03-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
The idea of giving up tone for a guitar that takes less upkeep is ludicrous, to me. If a plastic guitar has the tone you want I'm all for it, but to compromise on sound so you don't have to use a humidifier? Not worth it in my book. I'm in it for the tone, not the convenience.

But no one has to have the same goals as me.

Ed
I'm in it for the music. I'd rather be playing music than refilling my humidifier. Not to mention the fact that I can leave my guitar in my trunk in any weather. That's not just a slight difference in upkeep. It's the difference between "no problems" and " complete failure".
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-03-2012, 05:18 PM

i own a plastic guitar made with high tech manipulation. That doesn't sound too exciting to me either. I screwed up. Steve
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 11-03-2012, 05:45 PM

Ok friends. I have changed the term used. Hopefully you all will be satisfied.

Last edited by rlouie; 11-03-2012 at 05:51 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber