The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
In my own geeky way I use "sweet" to mean the absence of inharmonic overtone clash. So you could apply that to a guitar without much in the way of higher-order overtones to start with or it could be a guitar with overtones that are very pure so that they mix without clashing.

For my taste, calling a guitar's tone "sweet" would often be ****ing with faint praise as I tend to enjoy a certain degree of the lovely pain/pleasure that comes with dissonance and a passing lack of purity as a song is being played.
Brent Hutto you are a wordsmith! I agree 100 percent with 'the absence of inharmonic overtone clash'. My Stonebridge gets along well with any 2 different notes plucked in unison anywhere on the guitar. The Taylor drives me up a wall when I hit an E flat note on the g string, and a B note on the low e string (eighth and seventh fret respectively). Up a wall!!

Hollow, chimey, non metallic trebels over a subduded, but growley bass would complete my idea of sweetness.

http://www.in2guitar.com/

Taylor 914CE

Stonebridge gs 23 cr

Old 07-28-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thall View Post
Brent Hutto you are a wordsmith! I agree 100 percent with 'the absence of inharmonic overtone clash'. My Stonebridge gets along well with any 2 different notes plucked in unison anywhere on the guitar. The Taylor drives me up a wall when I hit an E flat note on the g string, and a B note on the low e string (eighth and seventh fret respectively). Up a wall!!

Hollow, chimey, non metallic trebels over a subduded, but growley bass would complete my idea of sweetness.
So Mahogany basically
Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 PM

The opposite of sour.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

I hear younger folks using the word "sweet" for all kinds of things, not just tone. My 35-year-old son uses the adjective all the time. I have no idea what it means beyond "good." It's sort of like "awesome" and "massive," but somewhat different I suppose.

Regards, Glenn
Old 07-28-2010, 11:53 PM

I think there should be difference in degree btw merely "sound good" and "sweet", which would make you smile from the heart. Here is a classic "sweet" tone:
MP3 #1
MP3 #2
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 07-29-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I hear younger folks using the word "sweet" for all kinds of things, not just tone. My 35-year-old son uses the adjective all the time. I have no idea what it means beyond "good." It's sort of like "awesome" and "massive," but somewhat different I suppose.

Regards, Glenn
That's not "sweet," it's "swe-eet."

I think of flute as the paradigm of a sweet sounding instrument.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 AM

It's fairly common for "sweet" to be used to describe the tone of the trebles coming from a smaller Gibson, like a Blues King or L-00 etc. I don't know how to describe that tone, but it's what I think of as "sweet" and thick.
2004 Martin D-18 GE
Old 07-29-2010, 01:40 AM

I agree with the poster about Gibson Maple guitars being the epitome of sweet
Old 07-29-2010, 02:20 AM

Has anyone noticed how "sweet" this thread is?

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thall View Post

Why thank you.

That was a sweet thing to say.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 07-29-2010, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Sweet is obviously a positive reaction towards the musicality of a guitar which to my mind has to be woody and organic as opposed to metallic and clashing ie synthetic- I would say sweet notes are round and have a fair amount of integrity and life to them..
Old 07-29-2010, 08:14 AM

Listen to James Taylors Greatest Hits, the period when he was playing an old J50 (Gibson). That's a "sweet" tone to my ears.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:29 AM

Sweet don't come out of my guitar. My guitar is nasty and sweaty and full of grunts and groans. Don't nobody say its pretty, as it has a tendency to makes folks uneasy. The womenfolks seem to squirm a bit.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:37 AM

To my hear a sweet tone is the sound of a first position A Major or G Major chord played on an all Mahogany guitar.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:09 AM

My 000-15s (all hog) has what I would call a "sweet tone" to my ears compared to my spruced toped guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion