The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: A Carbon Guitar For You In 2010? In 2010:
I will buy ANOTHER carbon guitar. 45 24.19%
I will buy my FIRST carbon guitar. 25 13.44%
I intend to get more information on and try to audition my first carbon guitar. 45 24.19%
I have NO interest in carbon guitars because guitars should be made of wood only! 71 38.17%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 AM

I have an CA OX Raw as well as a couple of modest wood guitars. The guitar that gets played most is the OX. The others sit in their cases with the humidifier and the OX out sits by my chair in the family room, no case and by and large always in tune.

Like many I appreciate the natural beauty of wood instruments. Clearly something carbon guitars will never match nor should they try. Still the RainSongs and high end CA's are beautiful in their own right. I have had a chance to spend time with the Emerald Woody line. It was an impressive piece. I hope other carbon guitar mfgs, looks at this concept and adopt it. It adds a nice natural wood appearance to the sound board.

In the end carbon guitars are not wood guitars just as an electric guitar is not an acoustic guitar, but they have their place and their fans. I am one. For that reason it is quite likely I will buy another carbon guitar this year. Quite likely it will be a small body, travel guitar. I am torn between the CA Cargo for its short scale and volume and the Emerald X5 for its standard scale, unique tone and great output when amp'd.

Last edited by jkwrpc; 01-02-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Forgot to add reason for my vote....
Old 01-02-2010, 11:55 AM

Default A forum for CarbonGuitars on AGF - yes, please!

Before I forget this as well.....I would love to see another place where those of us who are fans of carbon guitars could discuss our passion.

So please do consider opening a forum for us here.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:05 PM

Hmm...no option for those of us who already have a carbon guitar, like it, but are not going to buy another.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Survey Choice Wording Correction!

Hi Folks,

To try and make up for my non-inclusive improper choice wording, I would like to ask all the folks who currently OWN a carbon guitar to vote in the survey for the first survey choice:

I will buy ANOTHER carbon guitar.

I'm planning on running this Carbon Guitar Survey every year at this time to see if there is greater general acceptance and ownership of these guitars as the years pass. Next year my survey choice for those who own or will buy another carbon guitar will read:

I already OWN or will buy ANOTHER carbon guitar.

Thanks!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-02-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Hmm...no option for those of us who already have a carbon guitar, like it, but are not going to buy another.
The OP regrets his error.

The OP just asked me to cast my vote in I will buy another carbon guitar.

(I already have three CA's. I don't think I'll be buying another carbon guitar this year because I'm pretty happy with what I have. I also will not be buying any wood guitars this year. And if I wind up getting another guitar this year anyway, it'll be a carbon.)

EDIT: The OP might have been typing while I was typing. I'm sure he regrets this too.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:23 PM

There is already a forum for Carbon Fiber Guitars.

http://www.Carbonguitar.com

Nice group of folks

ken
Old 01-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Since the poll does not allow for a person like me who already purchased carbon fiber instruments and does not plan to buy more guitars, I didn't vote.

I own two identical Cargo guitars - both RT finish in Wine coloring. One is used for open tuning and the other for standard tuning. I have owned these guitars for approximately a year (one a bit less and the other a bit more). Both have K & K PWM pickup systems installed in them by Marty at The Podium in Minneapolis, and he also did the setup on them. Especially after Marty's setup, these are ideal instruments for me, with the combination of the 1 3/4" nut, the short scale, and the small, contoured body.

To me, the material the guitar is made from (i.e. wood vs carbon fiber vs ???) does not really matter. What does matter is whether I play the instrument. Since getting these guitars, I play much more often than I did prior to that time because they are out on their stands all the time. I do not need to concern myself with warping, cracking, and that kind of thing that typically is cause for concern especially during the Minnesota winter months.

I can honestly say that if I had to get rid of all my instruments and keep just one, it would be one of the Cargos (either one, since they are identical). I have a couple of fine wood instruments, but I really don't play them anymore because the Cargo just "works" for me. It is not a matter of whether the wood instruments are "better" in certain respects, but that these instruments are convenient and extremely ergonomic and therefore comfortable to play.

Tony
Old 01-02-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Since the poll does not allow for a person like me who already purchased carbon fiber instruments and does not plan to buy more guitars, I didn't vote.
Tony, you must have posted before reading through the whole thread. Scroll up a few posts on this page and you'll find your voting option.

(Or just click on the "I plan to buy another carbon" option.)
Old 01-02-2010, 06:45 PM

I have owned a 7i (now called a GXi I believe) for a couple of years and love it. I wished to have purchased a CA 12 string last year, but an unexpected layoff put a severe damper in my financial situation. Things are looking more promising for 2010 and as soon as I catch up on some bills, the CA 12 will be my next guitar purchase.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:49 PM

Still no option I like:

I have one, and I don't care much for it, and wouldn't buy another. You may as well add that one ;)

My guitars don't do any 'case' time aside from travel, but I'm lucky to live near the beach in SoCal and humidity is rarely an issue (only perhaps the Santa Ana winds).
Old 01-02-2010, 07:39 PM

Smile Travel/Campfire guitar

I have a Martin D-41SBe being built in Nazareth, PA as I type, and an Alvarez 12-string in transit, so a CF wasn't under my tree this season, but it WILL be for next Christmas. Now, if I can narrow down, which one sounds best unplugged. Any assistance on that question is welcome.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutniagara View Post
I have a Martin D-41SBe being built in Nazareth, PA as I type, and an Alvarez 12-string in transit, so a CF wasn't under my tree this season, but it WILL be for next Christmas. Now, if I can narrow down, which one sounds best unplugged. Any assistance on that question is welcome.
The GX is my favorite for overall unplugged sound, but I also have an OX and a Legacy that also sound good, and on any particular day may be my favorites, depending on my mood.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Poll Choice Correction! Please Read Before Voting!

Hi Folks,

To try and make up for my non-inclusive improper choice wording, I would like to ask all the folks who currently OWN a carbon guitar to vote in the survey for the first survey choice:

I will buy ANOTHER carbon guitar.

I'm planning on running this Carbon Guitar Survey every year at this time to see if there is greater general acceptance and ownership of these guitars as the years pass. Next year my survey choice for those who own or will buy another carbon guitar will read:

I already OWN or will buy ANOTHER carbon guitar.

Thanks!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-03-2010, 02:31 PM

ken

You are correct about the carbonguitar.com forum, it is my favorite place and those who post there are terrific. I can't say I have ever seen more supportive and civil group of people on any forum on any topic. I orginally asked for another forum to be created here. Given our community is still small it may hurt rather than help to have more than one forum at this point.

So upon further reflection we are likely better served to have carbon guitar folks join the discussion at carbonguitar.com rather than adding a new forum here. We can monitor the AGF and try to respond to those having questions about or an interest in carbon guitars as many have done in the past.

AGF is a great forum as well and is a wealth of information, since many of us own and play wood guitars we need to support it as well.

John W.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:03 PM

Bought mine in 2009!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber