The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-17-2018, 05:34 PM

Default Moving picking fingers from their designated strings

The first fingerpicking instruction book I had emphasized that your picking fingers should always stay on their assigned strings - index finger for g, middle for b, and ring for treble e. However, I've been following a fingerstyle instructional DVD, and the teacher has you picking a open A chord like this: thumb on the a string, index on d, middle on g, and ring on b. That first book said to NEVER let your fingers follow your thumb, that they should always stay on their designated strings.

I know this is simple stuff, but I don't want to have to unlearn bad habits later on. What's your opinion about this? I'm confused.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

My fingers prefer to go on frequent vacations rather than always sitting at home.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-17-2018, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

I would be thrown out of that class on the first day.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:30 PM

Speaking only as a person who just learned this in this last couple of years, since it's still fresh, I prefer to keep my fingers for certain strings. This is because I always know where I am and learning new patterns is really easy because that finger is always that string.

I occasionally come across videos like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdO2Hx6WFT8 (not necessary to embed to make my point) that reveal at least one reason, I think, why people move their fingers to different strings.

This teacher thinks that it will be easier for his students to move their hand up and down while keeping the fingers moving in the same pattern, maybe, and you might decide that, too, but I disagree, because that means I would have to remember that my fingers are not on the right strings and adjust them during play which is not automatic, especially when reading tab.

Keeping my fingers on the same string is much better for reading tabs or notation because I always know that my finger will always be in the right spot for the note in that position on the line or staff. This may be, I'm guessing, one reason why classical players keep to certain strings, because they are often learning by reading notation.

EDIT: It also fits really well with the fact that most of the time, you're going to want to hit one bass string, either 6, 5, or 4, and that string will always be your thumb. Your three fingers on 3, 2, 1 anchor you so you only need to hit the correct string with the thumb.

That being said, I sometimes develop new patterns where my fingers only play the 3 lower strings and I move them then because I'm ignoring the high strings, so that's an exception. Anyhow, that's my thinking, maybe it can help you decide.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

Last edited by SunnyDee; 01-17-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:38 PM

I Pick like this
Thumb can hit 6th 5th or 4th strings or my nose
index can hit 5th or 4th strings or my ears
middle can hit 3rd or 2nd strings
ring only hits 1st string
Old 01-17-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Clownmeat View Post
The first fingerpicking instruction book I had emphasized that your picking fingers should always stay on their assigned strings - index finger for g, middle for b, and ring for treble e. However, I've been following a fingerstyle instructional DVD, and the teacher has you picking a open A chord like this: thumb on the a string, index on d, middle on g, and ring on b. That first book said to NEVER let your fingers follow your thumb, that they should always stay on their designated strings.

I know this is simple stuff, but I don't want to have to unlearn bad habits later on. What's your opinion about this? I'm confused.
My fingers would go on strike, rebel, start an uprising if forced into such an inflexible, stultifying course. My fingers tend to go where needed, when needed. Seems to me guitar playing should not be a forced Hessian march
Old 01-17-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
The first fingerpicking instruction book I had emphasized that your picking fingers should always stay on their assigned strings - index finger for g, middle for b, and ring for treble e.
That is a good place for a beginner to start. As you progress you will find your fingers will eventually start making decisions on their own.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Its kind of like the Pirates' Code - its really just a guide.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-18-2018, 01:00 PM

As has been stated, that’s a good place to start, but as you progress you may find at times it just doesn’t work. Some pieces require more flexibility and you’ll “need” to use different fingering.
Good luck,
Jeff
Old 01-18-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
That first book said to NEVER let your fingers follow your thumb, that they should always stay on their designated strings.
That's simply wrong.
i-m-a on 3-2-1 is simply a starting position - a good discipline when beginning classical guitar. But there are classical guitar pieces where that's not the case, and it certainly doesn't apply in folk or blues styles.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:09 PM

I've read someone's signature quote here that I like...

"Learn the rules like a Pro, so you can break them like an Artist..."

I like that...
Old 01-26-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
That is a good place for a beginner to start. As you progress you will find your fingers will eventually start making decisions on their own.
Agreed. Thumb for bass, index-middle-ring for the three treble strings -- definitely NOT a bad habit. Especially if you're committed to developing that "a" (ring) finger.

But it's a bit of a default setting -- useful for beginners, but not applicable to all patterns and all situations. Sometimes (quite often, actually) you've just got to strategize your fingering to best execute the music at hand.

Possible reasons to break the default pattern: functional bass notes played on the 3rd string (use thumb); melody notes played on the 4th string or lower (use fingers); Multiple melody notes on the same string (alternate fingers on the same string). And many, many, many others.

Techniques are tools. With experience, you will learn how to apply those tools in more sophisticated ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I've read someone's signature quote here that I like...

"Learn the rules like a Pro, so you can break them like an Artist..."

I like that...
+1

Last edited by Guitar Slim II; 01-26-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:13 PM

Eeh... how do you play stuff that requires notes on two other strings simultaneously if you can’t move your fingers? Is that a rule too that such music doesn’t exist? Really there is so much wannabe pompous guitar instruction out there.

The position you describe is a home base, not a prison. Do what you have to do to play, return home when you are done. Simple.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 01-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

There are three fingers and a thumb. Six strings. Try groups of four strings in any combination. 6,5,4,3 or 5,4,3,2 or 4,3,2,1.
The “default” (which should really only be used to become familiar with the use of four fingers-and that’s a questionable teaching tactic in my opinion) should not become a crutch. When you allow your technique (or refuse to use all your available resources) to make decisions for you, you become a slave to your shortcomings. I find that unproductive, limiting, and the music suffers.
This is why other musicians argue that guitar players in general, are “guitar centric”. Put the music first.
So no. What you are being told is not only wrong, it will actually detract from your ability to articulate and focus on the music. There are at least two compositions of mine I would have never written or even been able to play if I had bought into that advice.

It’s just silly.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 01-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi UC

When I teach fingerstyle, I start with the standard assignments (thumb-n-three finger style) and compare it to the home row of keys when one is learning to touch-type. It's the place I want students/players to train their fingers to start-from or return-to by default without even thinking about it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write