The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2016, 08:08 PM

Default Need Direction/Ideas for play - Crossover Nylon...

Hi

I am hoping to get some ideas on artists, music styles, good transcriptions, music (basically everything) to help get some "direction" in playing my nylon crossover (Blanchard Classicool).

I primarily play finger style along with singer/songwriter material. I have been drawn to the nylon sound I would best describe as a "sad Spanish" ballads. I'm sure this is a vague description and I hear pieces played seemingly at random times. Some examples would be songs on the movie "Man on Fire," Soledad by Jesse Cook, Parasol by Jesse Cook, Hybrid flamenco "upbeat" songs, etc.

I have put this on the back burner for at least 7 years opting to use the nylon string as a "different voice" for my existing playing. I'm not looking to learn strict classical technique or have to have nails long and well maintained. I realize there may be some limitations of having a 1.75 neck instead of the standard classical neck.

I would really appreciate any input on suggestions of music to listen to and that can be learned without mastery of classical or rasqueado type techniques. Any resources that have tab and/or lessons would be great. Seeing where I can take my nylon playing and getting that "sad tension filled Spanish sound" is really exciting. The problem is I don't know where to find this vague idea of what I would like to play and I'm not sure if too many limitations exist without classical technique and a classical guitar approach.

Thanks for any and all ideas and input.

Just a guy who loves to play guitar!
Old 02-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Hi Dave, I'm particularly fond of Brazilian guitarists like Baden Powell and Bola Sete. Some really moving emotional stuff there!

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
2004 Tim McKnight "Skeeter"
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fingerstyle acoustic, fingerstyle flamenco, nylon crossover, nylon string