The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-07-2014, 09:04 AM

Default '80s MIJ Strat

Back in the mid 80s, I bought a mage-in-Japan Fender Stratocaster; still have it packed away. One thing that always struck me about it as odd, is that the jack is placed on the edge (i.e., like the strap pin); not on the top/face as with other Fenders. This PHOTO isn't mine, but it gives the basic idea. EDIT: FOUR PICS OF MINE ARE BELOW; it's all black

Mine has

- 4 pickups (not quite configured as in the photo)
- 2 knobs and 1 switch
- tremolo
- bridge has knobs that appear to let you compensate each string individually

Anyway, does anyone know anything about these guitars? Were/are they considered any good? I think I paid $250 new for it back then. Thanks!

Last edited by MrBJones; 09-10-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:18 AM

Sounds like a MIJ HM strat. Those are supposed to be pretty nice.
The knobs on the bridge would be the fine tuners for a Floyd Rose licensed locking tremolo.
Yours has a humbucker pickup in the bridge position.

Last edited by guitararmy; 09-07-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:35 AM

The MIJ Fenders from the 1980s copied several models, both of Teles and Strats, and were more faithful to the originals that anything CBS-Fender was producing. The reason why the guitar pictured (and I assume the one in your possession) has the input jack in a different location is that that's where it appeared on the original version of that particular model Strat. Other MIJ Stratocasters have the input jack in the usual place, on the guitar's face.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:42 PM

The guitar in the photo is a Japanese Strat - 80's vintage, of course. The giveaway is the Floyd Rose-type tremolo (notice the bridge is substantially larger than the Floyd, also the strings don't lock at the bridge). It was a Japanese copy of the Floyd. When I got mine in the 80's, Fender forgot to put the Allen wrench for the nut in many of them! I had to get Fender to send me one.

Japanese guitars from that era are VERY good, and have gained in value. They were well-built. There should be a "Made in Japan" either at the base of the neck where the neck bolts to the body, or on the headstock. "Made in Japan" guitars are generally considered more desirable than "Crafted in Japan".

Take care of that guitar!
Old 09-07-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF View Post
..Japanese guitars from that era are VERY good, and have gained in value. They were well-built. There should be a "Made in Japan" either at the base of the neck where the neck bolts to the body, or on the headstock. "Made in Japan" guitars are generally considered more desirable than "Crafted in Japan"...
I have an '86 Squier Strat S-S-S, made during the period that immediately preceded Fender's (temporary) transition to all-Japanese production - so it's essentially the same instrument other than the headstock logo (mine's a "Made in Japan," BTW) - and I'll vouch for the quality: better than most of the last CBS-era instruments (with the exception of the Vintage Reissues) in terms of fit/finish, and indistinguishable from the "real thing" in terms of tone/playability (better than many in the latter department IME). In the words of the late-50's Fender ads, I won't part with mine either...
Old 09-07-2014, 07:36 PM

I used to collect MIJ Fenders. I LOVE the necks on them. I too currently have an aged white Strat (Excalibur!) with real early-60's Danalectro pickups and a '52 Reissue from the first year they put them out for this market. I wouldn't part with either for love or money. I've regretted selling every other one I ever owned! With some gentle modding (better switch, better pots and jacks, and maybe pickups) they are pro quality machines!
Old 09-08-2014, 11:49 AM

I have an '88 Fender MIJ Strat... it's a great guitar in all respects.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

The MIJ's are excellent. Here is a mint 86 E-Series 57 reissue that I have. -- Darwin

Old 09-08-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
The MIJ's are excellent. Here is a mint 86 E-Series 57 reissue that I have. -- Darwin

Mine's a '62 in Olympic White/RW, also E-Series and made just before they started slapping the Fender logo on them...
Old 09-08-2014, 06:52 PM

Well, if we're posting pics, then here's my '88 MIJ -

The pic was taken a couple of years ago, when I first received it. I've done quite a few mods to it since... All-in-all, just a great guitar!
Old 09-08-2014, 07:38 PM

My favorite guitar! A little used, but still great! Domo Arigato, Fuji Gen Gakki-san!

Early 80's MIJ with early 60's Danalectro Pickups, bone inlays on each string saddle, David Gilmour Magic Switch mod, 70's WIDE Fender strap, and Chococat sticker courtesy my baby niece!

Last edited by BTF; 09-08-2014 at 07:44 PM. Reason: repaired link
Old 09-09-2014, 12:18 AM

Default '80s MIJ Strat

I concur, nearly all the Japanese made Fenders I have played (guitars and basses) have been excellent. I wouldn't turn away one if I was in the market for one. If the model you are describing is similar to the one in the picture then it is basically Fender's own "copy" of the super-Strat design that was very popular in the 80s and so on and made brands such as Jackson/Charvel such popular names. In fact I was in my local store yesterday and they had a used US-made Charvel that was not a million miles away from the guitar you describe.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 09-10-2014, 04:26 PM

Finally figured out how to do photos! Here are some of mine. So...based on this extra info, what else can you tell me about this guitar?

Last edited by MrBJones; 09-10-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:11 PM

Here's some info for ya:
http://planetbotch.blogspot.com/2012...-system-i.html
http://www.guitarsjapan.com/fenderchart.html

Best pawn shop find I've ever come across..$150.00 with the origional Fender hardcase with a wet sand polish, and cleaning her up...an E-7 with system1, I kept the originals and switched out the pots, 5 way switch and wiring with some Bill Lawrence Keystones..I can't put it down

Last edited by Ikeepem; 09-10-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:25 PM

Mr J:

That appears to be a mid-80's (the serial number suggests 1986- in that area, but there's a bit of a window there) HSS Strat. I had that same model in gorgeous Candy Apple Red with Lawrence humbuckers. The trem (like Ikeepem's- had that model as well!) was Gotoh's and Fuji's try at a Floyd-type bridge. It works pretty well at the bridge end (just doesn't lock the strings), but since the locks are after the nut, you need to lubricate the nut slightly for Van Halen trem dives. When I got mine, Fender had left out the wrench to loosen the nut.

That's a great guitar, and it ought to appreciate in value as MIJ's of that era were built by Fuji. I wouldn't part with it as it's VERY good quality. Put that baby through a Marshall and jam some "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" !

Here's a bit of history:

http://www.stratconnection.com/histo...rmijstrats.htm

Hope it helps.

Regards, Bill.

Last edited by BTF; 09-10-2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: added link

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars