The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-19-2017, 08:42 AM

Default DI box suggestion

I am looking for suggestions for a simple DI box to go from 1/4" in to XLR out.

My chain is: Guitar 1/4 cable to Aura imaging pedal, then 1/4 patch cable to TC Helicon Harmony singer ,then 1/4 patch cable to DI BOX ?, then XLR out to RCF Mixer.
I think a passive DI box would work.? Any suggestions under say 100.00?
Old 12-19-2017, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

....a Radial Pro DI comes in right at the top of your budget but its a piece of gear that is solid reliable and sounds great...for less expensive alternatives i've had good experiences with Behringer active DI's...i think they make passive DI's as well...
Old 12-19-2017, 09:23 AM

I am not familiar with your gear but doesn’t at least the Aura have a DI already built in? If it has an xlr out then it functions as a DI.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 12-19-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I am not familiar with your gear but doesn’t at least the Aura have a DI already built in? If it has an xlr out then it functions as a DI.
no, this is the Aura 16 imaging pedal. I dont think they make it anymore. It does not have XLR out. And besides it goes into the harmony singer pedal before the mixer and that pedal doesnt have XLR out either.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
If it’s just the aura sixteen pedal there is no DI..

I will second the radial pro DI for that price range. For the money I think it’s the quietest most reliable DI out there. You can get cheaper DIs but quality becomes an issue in some, or you can get higher priced more feature packed DIs but you’re going to pay more money.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

It seems the OP (form the other thread ) is wanting an XLR jack to plug in from the guitar chain into his mixer (not sure why unless mixer has no 1/4" inputs )
But the Radial mentioned is a very good product

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProDI

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-19-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
It seems the OP (form the other thread ) is wanting an XLR jack to plug in from the guitar chain into his mixer (not sure why unless mixer has no 1/4" inputs )
But the Radial mentioned is a very good product

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProDI
I would like the XLR input because the cable run to the mixing board may be a distance not suitable for a 1/4" cable.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
I am looking for suggestions for a simple DI box to go from 1/4" in to XLR out.

My chain is: Guitar 1/4 cable to Aura imaging pedal, then 1/4 patch cable to TC Helicon Harmony singer ,then 1/4 patch cable to DI BOX ?, then XLR out to RCF Mixer.
I think a passive DI box would work.? Any suggestions under say 100.00?
Hi rms-etc

I use all passive DI boxes (which cost less than $30) and they work as good as the $100-300 ones. And all mine allow simultaneous ¼ output to the stage amp and XLR to the PA, as well as ground lifting and attenuation.

Behringer makes very inexpensive, inexpensive and a little less inexpensive…all for less than $40 (their basic DI is $20 and a solid performer).

And Behringer DI boxes all will permit input up to 3,000 watts (direct speaker output of a guitar amp converted to line level in). They are time-tested, silent, don't affect the tone, and rugged.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-19-2017, 11:14 AM

The Radial is certainly a good box, but if you're looking for something solid at a lower price, I recommend one of the following (either will do the job admirably):

Passive:

http://www.audiopile.net/FDB-101

Active:

http://www.audiopile.net/LDB-101

One question: I don't know the Harmony Singer very well, but is there any way for it to pass both the guitar and vocal signals through it's XLR output, and can it apply its reverb to the guitar signal?

Louis
Old 12-19-2017, 11:31 AM

Orchid makes a muting di. Which is real good.
Requires 48v pp or 9v battery. Does your board
Have phantom power? It has a foot switch on the
Box that mutes the signal. Which is nice when tuning
Or switching inst.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:47 AM

Ok, thanks all. So far it looks like Radial Pro, Orchid, Audiopile and Behringer.
I do like the idea of the Mute on the Orchid.I don't have a mute anywhere else. Looks like Maury's is the only seller in US? Any other anyone can suggest with the mute option?
Old 12-19-2017, 11:55 AM

One question: I don't know the Harmony Singer very well, but is there any way for it to pass both the guitar and vocal signals through it's XLR output, and can it apply its reverb to the guitar signal?

Unfortunately no, the instrument is just pass through.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:05 PM

Sent private message
Old 12-19-2017, 04:34 PM

I love Radial gear and the Pro range is a lot of DI for the money. No they aren’t the cheapest but they are built to last and sound great. I don’t agree that cheap boxes are just as good as expensive ones - sure you can get great boxes for less but in my day job (Live sound at a well-equipped professional theatre) we stopped using the cheap Samson and cheapish BSS as they were not reliable and coloured the sound. We started using Radial and now don’t buy anything else - there are good reasons why they have become a standard on touring specs.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-19-2017, 06:35 PM

Whirlwind Imp 2 would be the cheapest I would buy, at around $50 street. Radial ProDI is probably the best bang for the buck. There are better DIs out there, but you'd be hard-pressed to notice any difference in tone. What you really need is something reliable, and the two I mentioned are virtually bulletproof. And the passive electronics mean you're never in trouble without phantom power (although it's hard to imagine a mixer these days that lacks +48v).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification