The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-16-2014, 10:27 AM

Lightbulb What's the better choice?

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum, so I'll present myself quickly:
My name's José, I'm 21 years old and from Switzerland.

So now to my question to you experts out there:

I'm currently looking forward to buy a new guitar, and already have two favorites. I'd be very happy if you guys (that know these guitars) could give me some pros and cons. And which one you would chose.

The guitars are:

Lakewood D-18 CP and Cole Clark Angel 2 AC3BB

I already played both at the store but since I'm not very skilled I'm not sure which one to take, the prices are very similar.

I like the optic of the Cole Clark better since Lakewood's are very "natural" I'd say.

Both sound very good! And the seller told me, that they both (lakewood even a bit more) can compete with taylor and martin guitars that cost up to 1000$ more..

So does anyone have any experience that he/she might want to share with me?

Thanks a lot. Sorry for any mistakes within the text (not 100% fluent in english)

regards,
José
Old 11-16-2014, 10:33 AM

Hi José, I just wanted to welcome you to the AGF. I can't comment on those two specific guitars but I can comment on your English - no issues at all .
Old 11-16-2014, 10:40 AM

Hello Dru Edwards, thanks a lot - I'm glad it's understandable :-D
Old 11-16-2014, 10:44 AM

Hey, check out that Lakewood guitar 3D Designer! That is very cool.

http://www.lakewood-guitars.com/cust...r_designer.php
Old 11-16-2014, 10:49 AM

Hi fumei, Thanks....I guess...the guitar I played, is already built so...I actually rather need a opinion than a place to buy or design them.

But thanks anyways.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:57 AM

Yes I understood that for your purposes you are asking about guitars that are already built. I was posting a suggestion for others to check out a very useful tool for actually seeing the various attributes of design. The ability to choose various woods and design and be able to rotate and zoom...well, that is very cool.

I have never played a Lakewood, but a perusal seems to show that people like them.

A decision like this is strictly personal. If the price point is close, and you can actually play them, trust your gut. Pick the one that speaks to you. If your hands and ears are happier with one over the other, that is the one to pick.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:03 AM

yes you're right, but there was really nothing that let me be like: this is the one.. you know..

I played 7 different guitars and these two are the ones that I picked out and I'll be happy with, so I thought it might be good to hear what other people say about them, since for me both are amazing.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:03 AM

Take a friend who plays well and have him or her play both so that you can listen from the front of the guitar. Your friend may also be able to help you in terms of noticing other differences between the guitars.

The good news is that they are both nice guitars, so you won't go wrong!
Old 11-16-2014, 11:11 AM

hi semolinapilcher, the seller is actually a friend of mine and very skilled, so he played them for me too.

And he helped me to choose between the first 7 guitars. Actually at the end he said exactly the same as you, that both are very good guitars especially for their prices.

I really enjoy the sound of both, the lakewood sounds better unplugged and the cole clark better plugged in. And I think to start I won't play a lot plugged in but the when it comes to the optic of the guitar I like the Coleclark a lot more..

I know at the end it will have to be my choice but I was hoping that someone had a bit experience with these two.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:16 AM

Hi Jose,

Take your old guitar to the shop and play it back to back with both the new guitars. Which ever guitar kicks it's butt the most, is the guitar to get.

That's always been my method. Sometimes the old guitar wins - and then it's time to go looking for something else.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 11-16-2014, 11:23 AM

Hi hovishead,

that method is actually worth a thought!! Great idea.

But there's a problem, almost everything is better than my last guitar I had a very very cheap guitar just to get into playing a bit. But now I'd like to have something I stay happy with as soon as I'm a bit more skilled than right now (which both are)

But I'll keep this in mind for next time!!
Old 11-16-2014, 04:37 PM

Cool What is the better choice?

Given the fact that I have not played either, you can take my opinion with a grain of salt, if you wish. I have, however, heard a lot of people rave about their Cole Clark guitars, which (I think) are widely available in Australia. I like the look of the Cole Clark guitars too, and that is the one I would pick. Lakewood guitars are probably more available in Europe, and you could probably find another a lot easier than the Cole Clark guitars. JMHO. And, welcome to the AGF!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 11-16-2014, 04:55 PM

Default What's the better choice?

I would go for the lakewood if you mainly play unplugged

Furch OM 32 SM
Cordoba Maple Fusion 14
Jackson US Soloist
Esp Horizon NT-2
Old 11-16-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hi José, I just wanted to welcome you to the AGF. I can't comment on those two specific guitars but I can comment on your English - no issues at all .
I'm with Dru on that.
Sorry, I can't offer an informed opinion, and welcome to a very friendly place.

-Warren
My Website
Old 11-16-2014, 09:20 PM

I can speak to the CC fl2, excellent sound, even unplugged, but plugged in hands down. I believe the cole clark with the carved top will sound even better over time. Good thing is your going to get a fine guitar either way

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
choice, cole clark, lakewood, opinion