The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 AM

Default Same model,much different sound?

Last night I did a little review in a new Cole Clark I really am thrilled with despite negative reviews and it got me thinking about something I suspected but haven't actually had the opportunity to prove so I'd like to open up comments. I know guitar sound is very subjective to the ear(beauty' s in the ear of the listener) but after a lifetime of playing guitar and literally over a hundred different ones I think I've a discerning ear, well sometimes it seems a particular guitar that's suppose to be mediocre at best shines like heck and another "great one" has no life. Have others had very noticeable and similar experiences? My two off the top of my head is this Cole Clark Fl1(I know many consider this a fine manufacturer) and my Babicz Identity which I think sounds fantastic,a keeper,and I bought a Jumbo that was dead and I quickly returned it. Since reviews on these are so so, I suspect I just got an exceptional good one, or at least that's my opinion and we all know what opinions are like...any experiences?
Old 01-05-2014, 11:24 AM

Hi Wade, I think you're correct. Some guitars of the same model, even manufactured the same day can sound different. Some are dogs, some are average and others are great. Hopefully, most of the guitars are consistent in tone but you do have the outliers on both sides.

A large part of the difference is that wood can have different tonal attributes from tree to tree, even among the same species. That's why if you have a chance to play a guitar, play it.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:20 PM

I`m a big fan of Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson. He uses Babicz acoustics and they always sound fantastic to my ears. So I take most reviews with `a grain of salt`.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:54 PM

I've played a few Cole Clarks, and haven't noticed much variation in them at all that couldn't be explained by timber. - The bunya top in particular seems to make a substantial difference. I'm not a big fan of their sound, but that goes for a lot of other guitars that others think are the bee's knees (eg most Martins). IMO, they're just like most guitars, opinions would be divided on their tonal qualities. Maybe you did find a particularly good one, or maybe you just like that kind of sound. How many CCs have you tried for comparison? FWIW, a few weeks ago I tried two identical Martin models, the same shop age, side-by-side. The sound of the two was quite different, as was their neck angle. The one that I thought sounded better, which also had the higher neck angle, sold a lot quicker than the other one.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:01 PM

The Cole Clark I tried had a Bunya top and Qld Maple back and sides. It had a powerful fundamental sound without a lot of overtones, heavier in the bass/mids than the highs, which surprised me, must have been the Bunya top. From what I read thereafter too, Qld Maple isn't as present in the higher frequencies compared to north american maple. Regardless, I really liked it.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCambo View Post
The Cole Clark I tried had a Bunya top and Qld Maple back and sides. It had a powerful fundamental sound without a lot of overtones, heavier in the bass/mids than the highs, which surprised me, must have been the Bunya top. From what I read thereafter too, Qld Maple isn't as present in the higher frequencies compared to north american maple. Regardless, I really liked it.
That's what I would have said, a lot of mid and bass, not so much in the high registers and overtones. Bunya sounds metallic to me compared to sitka.

Oz timber names are confusing, they relate mostly to the timber appearance of similar species in the Brit timber trade. Qld maple is in the citrus family, not closely related at all to the European/American maples, and is regarded as an acoustically warm timber.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:09 PM

As I stated about the cc, seems you guys echo, and generally reviews can be insightful and of course the woods. But there is nothing like playing one and doing side by sides.I'm trying to reduce my keepers but that babicz hog still does it for me, thanks for the imput, cant wait to try that Stonebridge on for size. The journey is half the fun. I live on an island with no guitar shop,I wish I had other clarks or guitars to compare,guess I'll just have to wheel and deal, cheers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
babicz, cole clark